Remote Sensing Specialist
Job status: In-progress
Job category: Local Position
Duty station: Bogor, Indonesia
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
Remote Sensing Specialist
Remote sensing specialist leads the Remote Sensing analysis, including method development and technical analysis in producing land use/cover maps and the post-processing, such as spatial analysis and modelling. The responsibility is not limited to handling Indonesia works but encompass other countries in the region, when the technical tools are interchangeable and when there are opportunities for so. This position requires project management and coordination at the work-package-, output-, or activity group-levels, which needs a certain level of decision making and quality assurance to meet standards and timelines. The specialist is also responsible to collaborate with internal and external partners that vary from multidisciplinary scientists, project beneficiaries, government at local and national levels and other multi stakeholders. When necessary, the specialist also needs to engage with donors at a technical level. This position also supervises assistants, consultants, and/or interns/students who focus on remote Sensing and spatial analyses.
Duties and responsibilities
- Lead Remote Sensing work in the range of topics of Sustainable involved both in restricted projects as well as in the interaction with ICRAF Global and CRPs. This might include method development and hands-on activities on the technical procedures.
- Lead development of tools for automatic land use/cover classification using opens source and crowd sourcing technology
- Lead and conduct terrestrial mapping mission using GPS, drone and other approach including crowdsourcing, to collect compile relevant research datasets.
- Lead development of spatial database system both internally as well with project partners as part of capacity strengthening programs
- Lead development of spatially explicit software and apps for land use, green growth planning, monitoring and evaluation
- Produce and contribute to quality of publications, scientific writing, and reports related to the works done.
proposal development, particularly from the technical side.
- Lead, coordinate and manage various research output and activities under bilateral projects, when required
Unit management and supports
- Engage in implementation of research ethics, partnership management, and project research data management.
assistants, consultants, and/or students working on Remote Sensing and spatial
Partnership, networking, and capacity building
- Maintain partnership with project beneficiary, partners, and donors as necessary
- Attend meeting, seminar, and event to represent ICRAF and maintain communication with collaborators and partners related to SAU works
Education, knowledge and experience
- Minimum master’s degree in the subjects related to natural resources management, (e.g. GIS and remote sensing, geography, biology, agriculture, soil science, forestry or related field) and/or computer science/information technology.
- 7-year experiences in the similar field
Personal attributes and competencies
- Good networking skills and knowledge on local and national NGOs in Indonesia
- Excellent communication skills both in English and Bahasa Indonesia (reading, writing, verbal and presentation)
- Computer literate (on Window based-systems)
- Good knowledge of negotiations
- Good understanding of time management
- Strong character, multitasking person and able to work under pressure
- Having vision to develop organization and intention to develop continuous improvement
- Having interest in receiving feedback from others
Terms and conditions
- This is a Locally Recruited Staff (LRS) position. CIFOR-ICRAF offers competitive remuneration in local currency, commensurate with skills and experience.
- The appointment will be for 1 (one) year, inclusive of a three-month probationary period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
- The duty station will be in Bogor, Indonesia.
To apply, please visit our career site at: http://www.cifor.org/careers
To learn more about CIFOR-ICRAF, please visit our websites at: https://www.cifor.org and www.worldagroforestry.org
CIFOR-ICRAF is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 17 Jun-2022
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.