Junior Environmental Auditor (Forest Products)
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Preferred by Nature is a non-profit, mission driven organization that contributes to sustainable land management and climate-friendly solutions. With 290+ employees around the world, our projects build capacity, raise awareness, conserve nature and streamline sustainability through innovation. We focus our work on forest and climate impact commodities and related sectors.
We are now seeking a Junior Environmental Auditor with forest products experience to join our US team! This position will be based in the Midwestern or Northeastern United States.
Whether you already have experience auditing supply chains or are completely new to the position, we will provide full training and development to support you as you grow in this role. Through our detailed onboarding and professional training, we will ensure you are fully equipped with all the right tools to succeed.
What you will do:
As a Junior Environmental auditor, you will be responsible for coordinating and managing the execution of Preferred by Nature’s forestry and other sustainability supply chain certification services (i.e., Forest Stewardship Council (FSC), Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC), Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI) for a subset of existing Preferred by Nature clients in the US and Canada. You will be directly involved in all aspects of sustainability certification audits including scheduling, project management, on-site auditing, customer service, management of contract auditors and quality control.
Other tasks include:
• Developing and implementing annual audit schedules and ensuring timely and efficient completion of
• Acting as auditor on selected assessments and audits.
• Ensuring efficiency, quality control and adherence to technical and administration certification protocols for
all jobs directly under his/her responsibilities.
• Coordinating with consultants on agreement scope of work and subsequent deliverables.
• In coordination with their supervisor and team, providing customer service to current and potential clients
including, but not limited to, providing information about certification, guidance on interpretation of
certification standards and trademark use.
• Developing strong expertise in standards, policies, and protocols.
• Acting as primary point of contact in client correspondence and responding to inquiries relating to supply
• Providing monthly expense reports, audit timelines, and FY goal progress to supervisor.
• Providing input for policy development and technical improvements to the certification system.
• Managing and maintaining technical and administrative databases (e.g., Salesforce, FSC and other PbN
• Monitoring and maintaining the status of the certificate client portfolio (activations, suspensions,
terminations, changes in scope, updating customer data, etc.).
• Other related assignments as necessary.
• Bachelor’s degree required, concentration in Forest Products, Forestry, Natural Resource Management, or related field preferred.
• Minimum of 2 years of work experience in forest product industry, forestry, paper and print industry or
• Strong word processing, databases, spreadsheets, and presentation skills.
• Ability to manage competing priorities while working both independently and as part of a team.
• Accountability for individual and team actions and goals.
• Initiative: recognize and create opportunities and act accordingly with a results-oriented mindset, take
direct action to attain or exceed objectives.
• You are comfortable travelling nationwide and internationally, at times significant travel (50%) may be
• You have a valid driver’s license.
• You have a high level of integrity and business ethics, to strike the balance between serving clients and at
the same time not compromising your role as an auditor.
• You believe in Preferred by Nature’s mission and want to contribute to it.
• Environmental management system auditor training experience preferred.
• Experience with auditing and/or familiarity with FSC/PEFC CoC or RA SAS standards a plus.
• Dual work eligibility (US and Canada) a plus.
What we offer:
• Work time: 35 hours/week (full-time with competitive benefits package)
• An in-depth onboarding and professional training to provide you with the right skills and knowledge to
thrive in this role
• An exciting and challenging position within a dynamic and innovative international organization with a
mission-driven work atmosphere
• Excellent opportunities for growth and professional development
• Potential future international travel opportunities
• A friendly, international team of colleagues, with a pleasant work environment
• Working location: home office
• Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience
• This position reports to: Manager, Supply Chains
• Expected starting date: as soon as possible
How to apply:
If you feel you meet the requirements of the role, please submit your Letter of Application and CV (in English), including salary expectations by 8 July via the application form below.
Please note: Only applicants legally eligible to work in the United States will be considered.
Preferred by Nature wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
For questions, please contact: Rachel Richmond - [email protected]