Programme Policy Officer (Operations Manager) CSTIII Arua
NOTE: WFP DOES NOT SOLICIT FOR FEES OR ANY FORM OF PAYMENT FROM JOB APPLICANTS
WFP is looking for talented people who are committed to joining our efforts to eradicate hunger. It offers unlimited opportunities to grow your professionalism, talent, and expertise. Start your journey to be a member of the world-wide effort to eradicate hunger. WFP has a policy of affirmative action for women.
United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their lives. On average, WFP reaches more than 80 million people with food assistance in 80 countries each year. The organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to food and contribute to lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
Brief description of WFP in Uganda
WFP delivers food assistance in emergencies and work with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. WFP provides life-saving food assistance and livelihood opportunities to refugees in Uganda. In addition, WFP assists the most vulnerable people in Karamoja with food and nutrition assistance. Finally, WFP works with smallholder farmers and links them to markets.
As Uganda strives to achieve Zero Hunger by 2030 and become a middle-income country by 2040, WFP is also assessing its relevance and repositioning its role in Uganda.
ARE YOU UP TO THE CHALLENGE?
We are seeking a qualified international consultant for the position of Programme Policy Officer (Operations Manager) CSTIII based in Arua, The selected candidate will be employed on a Regular Consultancy Contract (11 months).
ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT 1/2
Towards the over-arching goal of Zero Hunger, the UN World Food Programme - Uganda's Resilience portfolio aims at household and community resilience by integrating WFP programmes, partnering with development actors especially UN to UN collaboration and providing technical assistance to national and sub-national institutions. WFP Job Profile: Programme Policy Officer -Head of Agriculture Market Support Unit, CST. Page 2 of 3 Last revision: 30 November 2021 implements the Agriculture and Market Support program which constitutes the smallholder development portfolio of the Uganda Country Office and is housed within the broader Food Systems, Nutrition, Gender and Protection unit. WFP will in the extended CSP period, 2021 to 2025 strengthen outreach for young people aged between 18 to 35 years of age, women, and refugees. Interventions under the AMS will seek to create pathways for beneficiaries to create jobs or improve and expand existing opportunities
WFP Uganda Country Office is assisting over 1.2 million beneficiaries under various program portfolio in the West Nile and Acholi Regions which fall under the responsibility of Arua Area Office. Among that number, 90% are refugees that are hosted and assisted by the Government of Uganda with support and close collaboration by the International Community, WFP being one of main frontline service delivery responsible Agency towards zero hunger. The operations to reach the target beneficiaries and communities require resources, efforts and dedication from both WFP Arua-based team as well as a regular support from the country office. Being an area office where at least 60% of all country office transactions are taking place, and the follow up that it entails, Arua office needs more support in human resources as a boost towards timely service delivery effectiveness and efficiency. It is with the above background that a Program Policy Officer / Operations Manager– Consultant P3 is needed to reinforce the ground team in Arua, especially the daily operations management to minimize risks that exist due to lack of enough attention to internal processes and management thereof as well as quality assurance for operational activities under Arua Area Office.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (1/2)
1. Contribute to formulation, implementation and operationalization of WFP-wide Programme policies in line with both organizational strategy and the practical realities of operating in the field;
2. Establish and maintain operational partnership capabilities aiming at being on top of internal transactions and processes to improve timely payments to CPs and service providers in as efficient and effective manner as possible. Operations managements include the coordination of expected systemic deliverables using corporate tools like LESS, COMET and other corporate or operational management tools that need timely actions in line with SOPs and other directives.
3. Developing operations guidance and implementation modalities, to ensure a clear and strong connection between Field Offices, Area Office and the country office in as timely as possible, respecting prevailing rules and regulations
4. Provide advice and support to Field Offices, Area Office Management as well as to COs on cross-cutting activities to minimize or avoid ambiguities and ensure that operations are consistent with WFP policies, SOPs, managerial decisions, and other relevant guidance.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (2/2)
5. Provide technical advice or mobilize technical expertise on operations including timely actions tracking on transfer modalities and appropriate food products, the deployment and testing of innovations.
6. Manage research and evidence building on issues relevant to WFP operational management, accountability, and reporting
7. Advice and support the development of functional training in areas of expertise to enhance the capacity of WFP staff and partner to design and deliver effectively in respect of SOPs
8. Lead, motivate and develop a team of staff to enable high performance in the context of operations Management 9. Carry out any other related activity as per the guidance by the supervisors
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Educational - Master’s degree or higher in Economics, Sociology, Statistics, development studies or any other related field Experience:
- Experience: - -At least 6 years of experience in handling complex programmes, including several years on programmes related to Operations Management
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent computer literacy
- Proven experience of managing teams while conducting field operations in the context of humanitarian and development work
- Is familiar with WFP internal processes and conversant with various assistance modalities
- Has led teams in strategic complex operations
- Languages: - Fluent oral and written English
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Friday 24th June 2022
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.