Country Office Security Associate - UNDP Moldova (short-term)
Purpose: Implementation of security operations and all matters relating to the management of safety and security for UNDP personnel in the country or in the area of assignment.
The Country Office Security Associate Reports to UNDP Resident Represenatative and maintains reporting line for policy and technical security direction and guidance to UNDP Security Office through the Regional Security Advisor. Works in close collaboration with the UNDP Operations Manager, personnel in the CO and Project staff in the region to share information and resolve security-related issues. In addition, works closely with UNDSS and other relevant security counterparts.
Duties and Responsibilities
1) Assists in collecting, updating and communicating information regarding the security situation in the country:
- Liaises and coordinates, as appropriate, with the host government security organizations and/or personnel, including national and local provincial authorities, military, and police officers, as well as non-governmental organizations and other non-State actors in the area of operation;
- Helps to assess the security situation at the duty station and ensures adequate gathering and verification of security information that may be required for UNDP operations and programmatic activities;
- Communicates information on security to the UNDP management and provides host country security advice to UNDSS, as required;
- Maintains regular contacts with Security Focal Points of UN agencies;
- Provides technical assistance at SC, SMT meetings.
2) Assists in maintaining the Security Plan and security SOP, including updating staff lists:
- Provides inputs to the preparation and review of the UN Security Plan for the area;
- Supports actions during the implementation of the Security Plan, as required;
- Assists with developing, updating and implementation of Security SOP;
- Provides security inputs for BCP development and testing.
3) Assists Resident Representative in monitoring compliance with country specific Security Risk Management (SRM) prevention and mitigation measures. Also assists with the compilation of data required for the Security Compliance Survey (SCS). Assists with/Conducts the security risk assessments (SRA) for UNDP premises including common premises and events. Provides guidelines for security guards on security-related procedures.
4) Assists in reporting security incidents affecting UNDP personnel, offices and assets in the area, and prepares initial draft of security reports, such as the Security Incident Report for attention of UNDP Management and UNDSS. Acts as focal contact point in case of accidents that involve UNDP vehicles.
5) Provides overall assistance to CO Senior Management:
- Prepares and maintains routine and confidential correspondence files/documents;
- Provides requested Administrative and Logistical support;
- Maintains a database on contact details in relation to host country/area and de-facto security authorities.
- Maintains, updates and tests regularly telephone tree and database of wardens in Country Office.
6) Provides support to enhancing security awareness:
- Organizes and conducts training courses on security awareness and preparedness;
- Provides security orientation to newly assigned staff members;
- Conducts security briefings, as required;
- Provides instructions for reception/security guards on security-related procedures for handling of visitors, mail, telephone calls.
7) Performs other security-related tasks assigned by the CO Senior Management such as:
- Conducts security evaluations and provides advice on security measures for the residences (Residential Security Measures - RSM) of UNDP international personnel, as well as on latest trends and threats to staff safety and security;
- Establishes and maintains Warden system and keeps update of information related to UNDP offices and residences in the area;
- Assists in implementation of Pass and ID system for UNDP personnel.
Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies:
Business Management: Customer Satisfaction/Client Management
- Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solution, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers’ needs.
- Provide inputs to the development of customer service strategy
- Look for ways to add value beyond clients’ immediate requests
- Ability to anticipate clients’ upcoming needs and concerns.
Security Services: Security advice, planning and coordination
- Ability to provide with authoritative advice and guidance on security management, plan and coordinate security activities
Security Services:Security risk management
- Ability to assess threats and risks, identify and oversee implementation of mitigation measures, including ability to design and test security plans.
Security Services:Security crisis management & response
- Knowledge of crisis management and response arrangements as well as the ability to prepare for, respond to, support/manage security crisis events
Security Services:Security incident management & monitoring
- Ability to provide adequate response to security incidents/events
Security Services:Security training
- Ability to design, contribute to, and/or facilitate meaningful security training programmes/courses
Security Services:Physical/premises security design, implementation and management
- Ability to conduct accurate premises assessments on UN facilities to ensure appropriate mitigation measures are in place. Ability to design, support the implementation and test physical security systems for UNDP premises
Required Skills and Experience
Min. Academic Education
- Secondary Education.
Min. years of relevant Work experience
- 6 years of relevant experience in security or related field. Alternatively, if in possession of Bachelor’s Degree, 3 years of relevant experience would be required.
- Experience in usage of computers and office software packages (Word, Excel etc.).
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems;
- Knowledge of host country safety codes;
- Solid communication and presentation skills;
- Ability to travel and work across the country.
Desired additional skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Management, Security Mangement, Social Sciences or other related fields would be desirable but not a requirement.
- Prior experience with the UN system or an international NGO;
- Experience in diplomatic security, protection and intelligence;
- Possession of a valid driver’s license.
Required Language(s) (at working level):
- Fluency in both oral and written English, Romanian and Russian.
- Knowledge of one or more minority languages relevant for Moldova, including Romani, Gagauzian, Bulgarian, Ukrainian and sign language is an asset.
Travel:Should any official travel be necessary in connection to this TOR, UNDP will reimburse the expenses based on the duly authorized travel details, including travel and per diems.
The following documents shall be required from the applicants:
- Personal CV or P11, indicating all past positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations (month/year), the qualifications, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate, and at least three (3) the most recent professional references of previous supervisors. References may also include peers.
- A cover letter (maximum length: 1 page) indicating why the candidate considers him-/herself to be suitable for the position.
- Managers may ask (ad hoc) for any other materials relevant to pre-assessing the relevance of their experience, such as reports, presentations, publications, campaigns or other materials.
This is a local position, therefore only citizens of the Republic of Moldova or others legally authorized to work in the country are eligible to apply.
UNDP is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staff, and equal opportunities for people with disabilities. Well qualified candidates, particularly women and people with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
Applications should be submitted on line and include fully completed Personal History Form (P11) or CV/resume.Please note that only applicants who are short-listed will be contacted.