Associate Reporting Officer
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is offering a full-time position within the Programme Team in our Nigeria Operation.
Under the overall guidance of the Programme Officer, the Associate Reporting Officer contributes to production, editing and quality control of reports for his/her Area of Responsibility (AOR). By systematization and sharing of accurate and timely information, the incumbent promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNHCR.
S/he establishes close contacts with all UNHCR sections in the AOR to gather and analyze information. S/he maintains effective professional relationships with a wide variety of donors, operational and implementing partners, UN agencies, and other stakeholders to gather, analyze and disseminate information about activities of UNHCR and its partners.
UNHCR is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights, and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities, and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women, and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. We are in over 125 countries, using our expertise to protect and care for millions.
Title: Associate Reporting Officer
Duty Station: Maiduguri, Nigeria
Duration: 6 months
Contract Type: Individual Contractor (UNOPS International ICA-1, equivalent to P2)
Closing date: 06 July 2022
Start date: 01 August 2022
Nigeria is facing a protracted humanitarian crisis in the north-east due to an ongoing conflict. The operational environment in the north-east is particularly challenging. It is likely to persist in 2022, along with broader insecurity in the northern states, causing further internal displacement and refugee movements. High levels of violence and insecurity prevent UNHCR from accessing important hosting areas, hampering the humanitarian response for areas in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa States, where there are over 3 million IDPs. Despite this ongoing insecurity, spontaneous returns to Nigeria continue from neighboring Cameroon and Niger, where over 300,000 refugees are still living.
The UNHCR strategy in North-East of Nigeria focuses on creating a favorable protection environment, strengthening protection mainstreaming into the delivery of basic needs, interventions and services and inter-agency coordination and cooperation. UNHCR works to facilitate access to durable solutions through different modalities, including direct implementation for durable shelter, NFIs, cluster response, protection, early recovery, livelihoods support, inter-sectoral coordination and cash interventions.
We are seeking a candidate who can demonstrate analytical thinking, political awareness, planning and organization. The candidate should have experience in conducting, facilitating, and reporting on meetings, and drafting reports. Experience
The Associate Reporting Officer will work closely with closely with the Programme Officer in donor reporting, programme and/or project development, planning, implementation, and/or monitoring. S/he shall contribute to ensuring compliance across the organisation and will play your part in achieving UNHCR’s strategic ambitions; contributing to the protection of people forced to flee.
Duties and responsibilities
• Assist in the preparation of reports for donors, in compliance with specific donor requirements. Make efforts to enhance donor satisfaction by ensuring quality reporting on programmatic results to donor. Assist in providing visibility for donors’ contributions to UNHCR.
• Consolidate and analyses data on programme implementation, achievements, and indicators in all sectors under AoR in order to facilitate the preparation of periodic reports and activity-specific reports as may be required and ensure timeliness of such reports.
• Support the monitoring of UNHCR’s partnerships and consolidate information about Partners’ activities.
• Keep abreast of all developments in the country operation/ bureau/ division or other entity to prepare appropriate briefings and reports.
• Research/analyze, interpret and also, monitor and review information and data from regular and wide variety of sources for internal and external reporting.
• Provide technical support, training, and clarification on UNHCR’s reporting policies and deadlines.
• Prepare press releases; conceptualize, draft, and edit stories for external communications products and support all aspects of its production, including fact checking, proofreading and quality control.
• Support UNHCR inter-agency coordination initiatives and leadership through provision of reporting and secretariat functions where relevant.
• Work closely with Information Management to ensure accurate and attractive data presentation, including maps.
• Assist in the preparation of briefing kits and presentations for missions and visitors.
• Participate in annual planning and reporting processes.
• Perform other related duties as required.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
• Print and file copies of monitoring reports, including various tools for monitoring implementation activities, such as:
- monthly monitoring tables, covering budgets, expenditure/ encumbrance/pre-encumbrance, and progress towards all performance targets.
- reports of direct implementation monitoring missions.
- tables showing the status of each recommendation, raised in previous monitoring reports.
• Draft regular daily, weekly, and monthly up-date for internal and external audience (including donors and media).
• Prepare and distribute minutes of meetings.
• Update Folder with all the Budget Committee Decision pertinent to Grants being implemented
• Maintain risk register with due dates for the implementation of risk treatment measures identified and designation of who is responsible for each specific risk treatment actions
Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience required
The ideal candidate will possess the qualifications and experience below:
Programme Management, Project Evaluation, Resource Mobilisation, Donor Relations, Humanitarian Studies, Development Studies, International relations, Journalism, Communication or other relevant field.
b. Work Experience
3 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 2 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 1-year relevant experience with Doctorate degree
c. Key Competencies
Core competence: Accountability, Communication, Organizational Awareness, Teamwork & Collaboration, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Client & Result Orientation
Managerial Competence: Judgement and Decision Making
Cross-Functional Competencies: Analytical Thinking, Planning and Organization, Political Awareness
Experience in conducting, participating in, and reporting on meetings, and drafting reports. Experience in donor reporting, programme/project development, planning, implementation, and/or monitoring.
Experience in a field mission and at Headquarters / in the UN Common System and country context. Experience undertaking operational and analytical work in the field of international affairs, international security, humanitarian affairs, development, or journalism. Donor relations or liaison with media.
The successful candidate will be based with the team in Sub Office Maiduguri, Nigeria.
The position is for six months, and the start date is in August 2022. It is a full-time role with working hours starting from 8.00am to 5pm Monday to Thursday and 8.00 – 12.30pm on Friday (37.5 hours per week).
Closing date of applications: 06 July 2022.
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages, and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training, or any other fees).