Economist, Poverty & Equity (WBG Young Professionals Program)
Do you want to join a diverse group of professionals who help change the world?
The World Bank Group (WBG) is a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges.
Our Young Professionals Program (WBG YPP) is an exciting way to start a career with the World Bank Group. For close to 60 years, the program has recruited some of the brightest young minds to contribute to our top priorities, from poverty eradication, social development and climate change to the current response to the COVID-19 crisis.
Economists specializing in Poverty & Equity, with YPP qualifications below are encouraged to apply from June 15 - July 15 at www.worldbank.org/ypp
We are looking for individuals who are younger than 32 years of age, who demonstrate a passion for international development, graduate level education, relevant professional experience and the potential to grow into leadership roles across the World Bank Group.
Poverty and Equity Global Practice
The Poverty and Equity Global Practice, part of the Equitable Growth, Finance, and Institutions vice-presidency, plays a key role in supporting the World Bank Group’s goals of ending extreme poverty and boosting shared prosperity. It generates knowledge and provides operational solutions, focusing on poverty monitoring and statistical capacity building, markets and institutions, fiscal and social policy, and resilience to shocks and sustainability. The practice is organized into seven regionally-oriented units—EAP, ECA, LAC, MNA, SAR and two in AFR responsible for the delivery of country programs – and a Global Unit, responsible for the delivery of global programs and corporate priorities. The development and flow of global knowledge within the practice is facilitated through five cross-cutting thematic lines, These are: (1) data for policy analysis; (2) markets and institutions for poverty reduction and shared prosperity; (3) fiscal and social policy for poverty reduction and shared prosperity; and (4) welfare implications of fragility and conflict risks and (5) welfare implications of climate change. Every member of the practice is affiliated with, participates in and contributes to the work of at least one of the thematic lines. In addition, the practice takes the lead in two corporate priority areas: (a) Data for Goals; and (b) Systematic Country Diagnostics. Our global programs focus on the production of tools and methods for poverty and distributional analysis and of knowledge and public goods to advance the poverty and equity agenda at all levels.
For more information: https://www.worldbank.org/en/topic/poverty
YPP Selection Criteria
- Born on or after October 1, 1990
- Relevant Master’s by September 2022 OR PhD by September 2023
- 3+ years of relevant experience OR continued study at the doctoral level
- Fluency in English
- Masters or PhD in economics, Public Policy, or related field
- Excellent technical and quantitative skills as a microeconomist with experience in micro econometrics and statistical modeling; designing, implementing, and analyzing household surveys; use of administrative data and big data is desirable.
- Demonstrated track record and experience in more than one of the work streams of the work of the Poverty and Equity GP.
- Good integrator, with the ability to collaborate effectively with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Strong solution and results orientation with the ability to understand the policy environment and the needs of policy makers, applying knowledge to policy and program design.
- Ability to work flexibly, creatively, and to multitask as the need arises. High degree of self-motivation, positive attitude, commitment, and drive.
- Willingness to take field assignments is a plus
- Proficiency in French, Spanish, or Arabic
Duties and accountabilities
- Contribute to the design and delivery of the Poverty and Equity GP’s Analytical and Advisory Services including poverty monitoring, core diagnostics, and thematic analytics
- Engage in policy dialogue at the country-level on poverty and equity issues across sectors, to find opportunities to enhance the poverty reduction impact of policies and programs.
- Curate knowledge and global standard methodology to the needs of government counterparts and specific country context.
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.