Senior Program Manager, Country Impact Team
*This position may work remotely from any of the following US states: CO, DC, FL, GA, MD, MA, NY, NC, PA, SC, TX, VA, WA.
Additionally, the position may work remotely from any of the following countries outside of the US: Bangladesh, Bolivia, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Cote d’Ivoire, Ethiopia, Indonesia, Kenya, Malawi, Mexico, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, South Africa, and Zambia.
The salary ranges for this role are US Band 4 or International S2 Job Family.
The Senior Program Manager (SPM), Country Impact Team (CIT) advances Ipas’s mission by providing strategic programmatic, technical, and operational support to select countries within Ipas. The SPM operates with high levels of autonomy and leverages their strategic leadership, risk management, and collaboration skills to provide support to Ipas country programs that self-assess as being less resourced and/or having more support needs from the CIT. They model shared leadership approaches and play a critical role in supporting Ipas country programs/nodes to deliver on their strategic objectives; strengthen their institutional governance, program/project management, financial management, and administrative functions; and cultivate new business and partnerships to grow their brand and impact.
The SPM also directly supports complex awards/programs, serving as needed as the main donor/partner liaison for the awards and working collaboratively across matrixed global teams to deliver on award scope within schedule, budget, and at quality standards. They may also supervise up to two other staff members.
Institutional strengthening of the Ipas network
Provide strategic operational, programmatic, and technical support to select Ipas country and regional programs to deliver on organizational and donor commitments, build institutional strength, and advance Ipas’s mission and reach in assigned geographies, working closely with Ipas country and regional program leadership teams.
- Serve as a key counterpart and representative for assigned Ipas country and regional programs across Ipas US teams, advocating for their needs and priorities, and coordinating responses to support requests.
- Partner with Ipas country and regional programs to respond to key organizational deliverables and requirements, including strategic planning and reporting, annual planning and budgeting, and minimum standards alignment.
- Partner with Ipas country and regional programs to manage performance and strengthen compliance across the full project lifecycle for a diverse set of awards/projects ranging in funding value, results commitments, donor requirements, and risk profiles.
- Oversee internal and donor reporting processing to ensure alignment with requirements, validate accuracy and eligibility of results and spending, and promote strategic positioning with donors and partners.
- Co-create and co-facilitate training, peer learning and collaboration of Ipas country and regional program staff in programmatic, operational, and technical functions to strengthen efficiency, effectiveness, cost recovery, and proactive risk management.
Manage complex cross-country/regional and/or cross-technical awards/programs in collaboration with a matrixed team of global Ipas staff.
- Provide award-level oversight to the planning, implementation, and continuous learning and improvement of award results and spending performance to ensure the award is managed within timeline, scope, and budget.
- Manage award-specific risks and oversee and strengthen award compliance with organizational policies and procedures and donor terms and conditions.
- Mentor/support award implementation teams to ensure successful achievement of results and financial outcomes.
- Serve as primary contact for the award with donors, partners, and staff. Manage negotiations, project reporting and responses to ad hoc requests from donors/partners. Support external relations and visibility for Ipas.
- Lead technical and operational design of award renewals, establishing and communicating design team roles, timelines, and deliverables.
New business development and external engagement
Support the Ipas country/regional programs and the broader organization to grow their program portfolios, cultivate and strengthen relationships with external stakeholders, and position Ipas as the ‘backbone’ organization for advancing/protecting abortion ecosystems.
- Co-develop strategies and materials to support donor/partner identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship and other external engagement initiatives for Ipas country/regional programs and the CIT.
- Serve on proposal design teams to ensure proposals reflect a unified approach, align with strategic objectives, and maximize cost recovery.
- Lead or contribute to writing of technical design and financial narratives, costing analyses, budget development, resource planning, and risk management components of new business and external engagement scopes.
- Support donor/partner intelligence gathering and facilitates sharing across Ipas country/regional programs.
Strategic organizational initiatives
Lead programmatic, operational, and/or technical components of assigned strategic organizational initiatives to advance Ipas’s vision and efforts in new work areas and embed a learning culture within the organization.
- Eight or more years’ work experience developing and leading strategies to improve program effectiveness and organizational and program outcomes, including identifying new opportunities and creating new strategies.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated experience working on international sexual and reproductive health in Ipas implementation geographies, or similar settings.
- Demonstrated skills and experience with training, facilitation, coaching and mentorship for in-person and virtual formats.
- Demonstrated success in building rapport and trust with and among colleagues across various cultural backgrounds.
- Committed to advancing women and girls’ access to comprehensive abortion care
- Fluency in English (written and oral) required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Self-starter with strong time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to travel up to 30% domestically and internationally, including at short notice.
- Relevant post-graduate degree (MBA, MIA, MPH, etc.).
- Experience working in a matrixed international NGO.
- Experience working on programs to expand access to abortion care.
- Working fluency in French, Portuguese, Spanish and/or local language, spoken and written.
- Experienced manager and intuition for business. You have been a manager in a previous role, preferably in a country or regional program. You have worked with a team developing and managing projects and programs and have a proven track-record in strengthening institutions/systems, management, and leadership capacity.
- Decisive risk management and strategic problem solving. You anticipate challenges and find solutions. You seek the necessary inputs, analyze the data at hand, identify potential risks, and make decisions. You can move forward even when information is. You review the impact and consequences and openly learn from mistakes.
- Superb interpersonal communication and collaboration skills. You actively listen, connect easily and work well with staff across the Ipas network to gain their trust and respect. You demonstrate clear and concise information and idea-sharing, helping staff learn, grow, and thrive in their work. You facilitate collaboration and coordination among teams with different priorities.
- Agility. You react with curiosity and enthusiasm to shifting situations, adapt and creatively problem solve with a changing environment.
- Provide critical guidance, coaching and mentorship. You deliver guidance and feedback with care, encourage team members to directly share their concerns, and help develop their skills to make it a productive and valued experience. You face conflict and respond with empathy and facts. You understand the benefits of conflict and support colleagues to embrace different perspectives and learn from others, to understand themselves and co-create new ideas.
- Capacity builder. You are an experienced trainer and facilitator.