Intern - Planning and Programme Support
Bonn | Abu Dhabi
Secretariat of the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA)
Planning and Programme Support Office
Publication/Transmission Date\: 16 June 2022
Deadline for Application\: 30 June 2022 (at midnight, Abu Dhabi Local Time)
Title and Grade\: Intern, PPS
Indicative Remuneration\: Monthly stipend
Duration of Appointment\: 6 Months
Duty Station\: Bonn, Germany ( Remote Internship)
The International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) is an inter-governmental organisation headquartered in Abu Dhabi, with offices in Bonn, Germany and New York, USA, mandated to promote the widespread and increased adoption and sustainable use of all forms of renewable energy in the pursuit of sustainable development, energy access, energy security and low-carbon economic growth and prosperity. IRENA’s mission is to play a leading role in the ongoing transformation of the global energy systems as a centre of excellence for knowledge and innovation, a global voice of renewable energy, a network hub for all stakeholders and a source of advice and support for countries. At present, IRENA has 167 Members (166 states and the European Union) that acceded to its Statute, and 17 additional States in the process of accession and actively engaged.
IRENA’s Planning and Programme Support (PPS) unit is responsible for\: internal coordination and the strategic integration of extra-budgetary resources in IRENA’s programmatic work; reporting on programmatic matters to governing bodies and individual donors; strengthening IRENA’s presence in Europe, including at the EU level and with Germany as Host Country; and leading cross-cutting Agency initiatives, including in the context of climate change and geopolitics.
Objectives of the Internship Assignment
The internship post is located in the Planning and Programme Support unit, located in Bonn, Germany. The intern will provide support to the work undertaken by PPS\:
In line with the objectives outlined above, the intern is expected to perform a range of technical and organisational functions, including, but not limited to\:
- Undertake research and analyses within the scope of PPS work;
- Draft and prepare background notes and other materials in support of the work undertaken by PPS;
- Other duties as required.
During the internship period, the successful applicant will develop a deep understanding of the international energy sphere and functions of an international organisation, including, in particular, related to the intersection of renewables and development and climate action. The intern will also be able to further develop their skills related to research, analysis, drafting and editing.
The internship is for a period of six months to be agreed upon with the intern/sponsor. The exact period will be determined based on the availability of the intern and the needs of the organisation. The maximum duration of the internship is nine months, subject to the intern’s continued university enrolment and performance.
- Candidates must either be enrolled in post-graduate studies in political science, international relations, development studies, or related fields at a recognized university at the time of application and for the duration of the internship or recent graduates will also be included in the internship programme provided the start date of the internship is less than six months from completion of studies.
- Candidates must be fluent in English (both oral and written) and demonstrate excellent writing and communication skills.
- Candidates must be able to work in a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment.
- Candidates should demonstrate solid teamwork, planning and organising, professionalism and communication skills.
- Candidates should indicate in their cover letter the period of their availability.
IRENA internships may be remunerated if an intern is not already sponsored by their government, university or institution. In such cases, the intern is requested to indicate their sponsorship in their cover letter.
Interns of IRENA are not considered to be staff members. The selected intern will work remotely on a full-time basis (40 hours per week) in Bonn, Germany.
For more detailed information about IRENA Internship Programme, please visit the internships section on our recruitment webpage.
Candidates who are interested in this assignment and meet the minimum requirements must apply for the abovementioned vacancy on-line, through IRENA’s recruitment platform, Taleo by submitting a complete and comprehensive CV and a letter of interest. Due to the high number of applications, only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted for a video, pre-recorded and/or telephone interview.
 If the selected intern is not otherwise sponsored and they are recruited outside of the commuting distance to the selected duty station they will be they will be remunerated at a rate of EUR 900.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: