Information Management Officer
Background and Organizational Context
These national professional positions are located in the Field Information Services Section (FIS), Information Management Branch (IMB) of the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), based in Istanbul. OCHA is part of the United Nations Secretariat responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies. OCHA also ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response efforts. OCHA's mission is to mobilize and coordinate effective and principled humanitarian action in partnership with national and international actors in order to alleviate human suffering in disasters and emergencies; advocate the rights of people in need; promote preparedness and prevention and facilitate sustainable solutions.
The Information Management Branch (IMB) is responsible for strengthening the capacity of OCHA to deliver more credible, comprehensive and evidence-based situational awareness to the humanitarian system, one of the five core functions of OCHA.
Within delegated authority, the Information Management Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
(These duties are generic, and may not be performed by all Information Management Officers. If your skills and experience are a good match to any one of the profiles below, you are encouraged to apply.)
Data Analysis and Data Visualization. See detailed description below
Key Duties and Accountabilities
In this section list up to five primary functions/accountabilities of the position (Typically one sentence each) and examples of duties that must be performed to successfully accomplish key responsibilities.
Data Analysis - GIS and mapping
- Assists with the maintenance of spatial baseline and operational datasets in accordance with relevant standards and guidance; maintains a repository of spatial data and ensure that the data are documented and accessible to all humanitarian partners through local and/or online services.
Data Analysis – Database
- Supports the design, development and manage the content of databases, spreadsheets and other data tools; documents and ensures the quality of high-value humanitarian data for accuracy, consistency and comparability; supports the consolidation of operational information on a regular schedule to support analysis.
- Supports the evaluation and analysis of location specific datasets through meaningful
- statistical techniques; participates in the development and revision of data standards ; understands, documents and ensures the quality of high-value humanitarian data for accuracy, consistency and comparability.
Data Analysis – Assessments
- Supports assessment and needs analysis activities, including humanitarian needs overviews, secondary data reviews, preliminary scenario definitions and multi-cluster initial rapid assessments; supports the management of platforms and tools that support data collection and analysis such as KoBo Toolbox and Open Data Kit (ODK).
- Assists in the production and updating of information products such as reports, charts and infographics by turning data into graphical products to convey messages and a storyline; develops advocacy materials including posters, presentations and other visual materials; supports the production and updating of high-quality map products and online services.
- Achieve Results:-LEVEL 2: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work
- Think Innovatively:-LEVEL 2: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking
- Learn Continuously:-LEVEL 2: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning
- Adapt with Agility :-LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process
- Act with Determination :-LEVEL 2: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously
- Engage and Partner:-LEVEL 2: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion:-LEVEL 2: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
- Business development- Human-centered Design-Ability to develop solutions to problems by involving the human perspective in all steps of the problem-solving process
- Business management-Digital Awareness and Literacy-Ability and inclination to rapidly adopt new technologies, either through skilfully grasping their usage or through understanding their impact and empowering others to use them as needed
- Business management-Working with Evidence and Data-Ability to inspect, cleanse, transform and model data with the goal of discovering useful information, informing conclusions and supporting decision-making
- Business management-Customer Satisfaction/Client Management-Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers' needs.
- Provide inputs to the development of customer service strategy.
- Look for ways to add value beyond clients' immediate requests.
- Ability to anticipate client's upcoming needs and concerns.
- Digital & Innovation-Data analysis-Ability to extract, analyse and visualize data (including Real-Time Data) to form meaningful insights and aid effective decision making
- Digital & Innovation-Data collection-Being skilled in Data Sorting, Data Cleaning, Survey Administration, Presentation and Reporting including collection of Real-Time Data (e.g. mobile data, satellite data, sensor data).
- A first-level university degree in information management, information science, information
- systems, social science or related field is required.
Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
- A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in information management, GIS and mapping, information systems, data management, data visualization, or other related area is required.
- Experience managing information in disaster response or complex emergencies is desirable.
- Experience with the UN common system or other comparable international organization is desirable.
- Proficiency in Excel is required, in addition to proficiency in one of the following: GIS, BI, databases or graphic design.
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required. Knowledge of French, Spanish, or Arabic is desirable.