Immigration Services Navigator
IRC is a lead agency responding to the Afghan evacuation and will be serving thousands of Afghan parolees in the US this year through the Afghan Placement & Assistance (APA) program. Under the APA, the IRC is committed to ensuring all Afghan parolees have access to legal services to identify potential legal pathways to remain in the United States lawfully. This position will support access to legal services for Afghan parolees by assisting APA clients to understand their legal status, helping them to navigate administrative processes where appropriate, and ensuring they are able to access a legal consultation and legal services that may be available to meet their needs through qualified, reputable providers.
- Provide orientations to clients on parole and immigration legal status implications.
- Respond to appointment requests and coordinate with Immigration staff to facilitate referrals and schedule appointments where appropriate.
- Work with the Immigration department to develop or maintain relationships with legal services agencies to organize joint activities, specifically legal orientations, legal screenings/consultations, and/or pro se workshops.
- Collaborate with colleagues to ensure clients receive information about their status and are able to access a legal consultation; conduct outreach to inform clients of any relevant changes in the law.
- Answer majority of phone-based client inquiries and serve as the first point of contact for immigration legal services inquiries by clients.
- Coordinate a small team of volunteers and interns to assist with activities such as workshops or as otherwise directed by the in-house Legal team.
- Maintain accurate tracking record of all orientation, intake and outreach activities, partner organizations, contacts, etc. according to data collection protocols.
- Assist with reminders for USCIS appointments through phone contacts/text messaging, as needed.
- Adhere to guidance to maintain professional ethics and client confidentiality, and delineation of roles and responsibilities to avoid unauthorized practice of law.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field; related work experience will be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Previous experience with refugee and immigrant legal or social services strongly preferred.
Demonstrated Skills & Competencies
- Community-based outreach and/or work promoting immigrant rights experience is preferred.
- Experience with data entry and management are a plus.
- Demonstrated success working and communicating effectively in a multi-cultural environment and with Limited English Proficient populations.
- Able to work effectively in a team environment, as well as take independent initiative. • Excellent attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook) and comfort utilizing the internet and online software and programs.
- Excellent communication skills with proficiency in written and spoken English is required.
- Proficiency or fluency in Dari, Pashto, and/or Farsi is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated dedication to immigrant rights, social justice, and/or human rights based on work experience, volunteer service, or educational activities.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to prioritize tasks and manage time effectively.
- A combination of standard office environment (in-person) and remote work.
- Staff must adhere to IRC’s COVID policies, which may be stricter than federal, state, or local level policies.
- This role entails periodic travel in and around the Denver metro area to attend meetings, carry out the responsibilities outlined above, and represent the IRC with donors, partners, and vendors.
- Hours outside of typical office hours, including weekends and evenings, are occasionally required.
COVID-19 Vaccination: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires new hires to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for in-office or hybrid positions. All IRC US offices require full vaccination to attend any in-office functions (e.g., meetings, trainings).
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us at [email protected] to request accommodation.
Compensation and Benefits: This is a full-time position with an initial term of 12 months, classified as a non-exempt and eligible for overtime under state and federal law. Compensation starts at $22.00 per hour, depending on experience and qualifications. We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, this total compensation package includes: 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25 paid time off days depending on role and tenure, medical insurance starting at $120 per month with low to no deductible; dental insurance starting at $7 per month; vision insurance starting at $5 per month; FSA for healthcare, dependent care, and commuter costs; a 403b retirement savings plans with immediately vested employer matching; disability & life insurance; generous parental leave; and an Employee Assistance and Resilience Program which is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and mental health struggles. In addition, the IRC in Denver offers annual staff development funds and actively promotes learning and growth for its team members.