Head, Infrastructure Services
Vacancy no.: RAPS/1/2022/INFOTEC/04
Publication date: 16 June 2022
Application deadline (midnight Geneva time): 17 July 2022
Job ID: 8568
Organization Unit: TMS
Contract type: Fixed Term
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the ILO Staff Regulations.
- External candidates.
Staff members with at least five years of continuous service with the Office are encouraged to apply.
Applications from officials who have reached their age of retirement as defined in Article 11.3 of the Staff Regulations on or before 31 December 2017, or who have already separated from ILO service upon retirement or early retirement, will not be considered.
The ILO values diversity among its staff and welcomes applications from qualified female candidates. We also encourage applicants with disabilities. If you are unable to complete our online application form due to a disability, please send an email to [email protected].
The ILO welcomes applicants with experience in working within ILO constituents (governments, employers’ and business membership organizations, and workers’ organizations).
Applicants from non- or under-represented member States, or from those member States which staffing forecasts indicate will become non- or under-represented in the near future would be particularly welcome. A list of these countries can be found here: https://jobs.ilo.org/content/Non--and-under-represented-member-States/
In addition to the interviews and tests that any candidate may be required to take, successful completion of the ILO Assessment Centre is required for all external candidates and any internal candidate applying to a higher category.
Notwithstanding the general considerations set out in the ILO Staff Regulations, this vacancy announcement is the only authoritative document pertaining to the qualifications required for this position. The minimum required qualifications were determined in view of the specific duties and responsibilities of this position.
The specific language requirements for this position are detailed hereunder. However, candidates applying for the professional category vacancies who have not already successfully completed their probationary period within the ILO and whose mother tongue is not one of the working languages of the Office (English, French and Spanish), shall be required to possess a fully satisfactory working knowledge of at least one of the ILO working languages. If appointed they may be required to acquire a knowledge of a second working language of the Office during their initial years of service.
The position is located in the Technology Management Services (TMS) Branch within the Information and Technology Management Department (INFOTEC). INFOTEC provides modern, secure, and reliable IT infrastructure, technologies, applications and services to enable the ILO to effectively use technology to perform its mission. TMS conceptualizes, delivers, and supports the technology that is needed to work effectively and is focused on reducing risk, enabling mobile and productive staff, and identifying efficient and effective solutions to meet the demands of clients.
The position will be responsible for the design, deployment, monitoring and management of infrastructure services across the Organization and partner datacentres.
The position will report to the TMS Branch Chief.
1.Provide expertise and supports the planning, design, deployment and monitoring of on-premises and cloud-based infrastructure components and services, including the Storage, Backup and Restore, Compute, Databases, Network (LAN – WAN - SDWAN), Operating Systems and Security. Ensure Security policies are adhered to and enforced throughout the process.
2.Supervise the configuration and delivery of Microsoft 365 based communication and collaboration services across the Organization. Review cloud services evolution over time, assess potential impact, identify opportunities, and implement required measures.
3.Oversee the proactive monitoring of services availability and capacity. Initiate the investigation of all breaches of service availability targets and service non-availability. Implement Continuous Service Improvement methodology for the management of services availability, ensuring that unforeseen service interruption is followed by analysis, incident reporting and lessons learned.
4.Lead project activities related to infrastructure modifications including network, servers, storage, datacenters, databases, physical and virtual servers, SD-WAN and remote offices. Identify resources needed to ensure adequate staffing capacity to meet evolving requirements over the budgeting period.
5.Draft, publish and maintain strategies, policies, standards and procedures for securing and supporting IT infrastructure components in scope. Ensure the correct implementation of these standards and procedures within the ILO and with external hosting partner.
6.Lead and manage the TMS Infrastructure Service teams. Ensure that all staff members are trained, supported, and engaged. Regularly track the evolution of the unit workplan, and establish targeted strategies for assisting staff to continue to deliver effectively, in line with the relevant outcomes and targets specified in the Office's IT strategy.
7.Prepare the terms of reference for competitive bidding processes associated with the purchase of infrastructure hardware, software or services. Collaborate with the Procurement Bureau to finalize the documents and analyse responses.
8.Manage contracts and relationship with 3rd party hosting providers, service providers and other suppliers. Ensure that expenditures are in line with the defined budget.
9.Engage in proactive risk management strategies for ILO infrastructure components. Identify enhancements needed to improve performance, usability, and integration. Architect, document and test off site Disaster Recovery services. Coordinate the physical installations, evaluate potential service availability risks, and propose mitigation. Initiate, and report on annual Disaster Recovery testing process. Manage physical access to the ILO datacenters.
10.Provide costing and resource estimates to assist with developing total cost of ownership models for new project or budget proposals. Work with hardware, software and cloud services vendors to understand potential of new functionality.
11.Ensure that the inventory of infrastructure assets is maintained complete and current.
12.Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
These specific duties are aligned with the relevant ILO generic job description, which includes the following generic duties:
- Coordinate and be directly involved in the operation, maintenance and development of the elements of the Enterprise Network at headquarters and in the field.
- Define and update the information technology strategy for the organization. Establish office standards for hardware, operating systems, tools, applications and enterprise systems software.
- Establish work plans, schedules and guidelines for the introduction of new equipment, new standards and new services.
- Manage the appropriate elements of the unit’s budget as requested by higher level Chief.
- Organise work-related information networks with the departments and units in HQ and field offices to improve interdepartmental contacts.
- Participate in working groups where office-wide information technology involves and affects the unit’s organisation or duties. Represent the organization in inter-organisational bodies where technical policies are to be defined which are important for the organization’s IT strategy update.
- Provide expert advice and guidance on managing change in the work environment resulting from the introduction of new technologies.
Advanced university degree in information technology or other related field. A first level degree in information technology or other closer related field with three years of experience in addition to the ten years' experience mentioned below may be accepted in lieu of the advanced degree.
At least ten years of professional experience in the IT field, of which at least five years at the international level and in a management capacity.
Excellent command of one official language (English, French, Spanish) of the Organization and a working knowledge of a second official language. One of these languages must be English.
In addition to the ILO core competencies, this position requires:
- Extensive knowledge of datacenter technologies, Microsoft 365 services and Microsoft Azure infrastructure services.
- Demonstrated skills and ability in coordinating activities and formulating guidelines and policies.
- Excellent communication, presentation and negotiation skills.
- Significant supervisory, organizational and management experience.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively monitor and evaluate work programme and resources.
- Excellent analytical, diagnostic and problem-solving skills. Ability to identify trends, draw conclusions and to persuade management of the advantages of proposed new policies and procedures.
- Ability to successfully manage complex (cross functional) projects.
- Ability to successfully negotiate complex software licensing and service delivery contracts.
- Ability to establish effective collaboration and partnerships with officials at all levels inside and outside the organization.
Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behaviour and attitudes.
Conditions of employment
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to ILO Staff Regulations and other relevant internal rules. Any offer of employment with the ILO is conditional upon certification by the ILO Medical Adviser that the person concerned is medically fit to perform the specific inherent requirements of the position offered. In order to confirm an offer from the ILO the successful candidate will be required to undergo a medical examination.
- The first contract will be issued for a twenty-four month period.
- A successful external candidate will be on probation for the first two years of assignment.
- Any extension of contract beyond the probation period is subject to satisfactory conduct and performance.
For more information on conditions of employment, please visit: https://jobs.ilo.org/content/International/
Any officials of the General Service category interested in applying to this position are hereby informed that, if selected, they will be offered the salary and allowances applicable to the grade of the position applied for, which may result in substantial changes in their take-home remuneration. In accordance with Article 3.4 of the Staff Regulations, the salary of an official, upon promotion, shall in no case be greater than the maximum salary of the grade to which he or she was promoted. For any questions or clarifications, please contact your HR partner at [email protected]
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit the ILO Jobs website at https://jobs.ilo.org/. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
Evaluation (which may include one or several written tests and a pre-interview competency-based assessment centre) and the interviews will tentatively take place during the 3 to 4 months following the application deadline. Candidates are requested to ensure their availability should they be short listed for further consideration.
Depending on the location and availability of candidates, assessors and interview panel members, the ILO may use communication technologies such as Skype, Video or teleconference, e-mail, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates at the different stages of the recruitment process, including assessment centres, technical tests or interviews.
The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account - @ilo.org - should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.