HEAD OF INFRASTRUCTURE & SERVICE DESK (BASED IN BARCELONA)
In line with the values that guide the actions of our organization around the world, MSF OCBA is committed to promoting diversity, equity and inclusion and understands the importance of affirmative actions aimed at promoting equal opportunities. For this reason and in seeking to provide opportunities to under-represented groups, we will strongly prioritize applications from socially underrepresented groups who meet the requirements (i.e. women, BIPOC, people with disabilities, LGBTQIA+).
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical humanitarian action-driven organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. The MSF movement is built around five operational directorates supported by MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together worldwide.
The Spanish section of MSF was founded in 1986 in Barcelona. During the years it evolved in an Operational Centre with various Offices in Spain, Dakar, Nairobi and Amman, as well with a Branch Office in Portugal based in Lisboa.
The operations are implemented by field teams and the mission coordination teams, guided and supported by 5 Operational cells in different locations (Barcelona, Nairobi, Dakar, Amman and soon in Bogota), and an Emergency Unit based in Barcelona, as well as by different departments, including the Projects & IT Department.
GENERAL OBJECTIVE AND PLACE IN THE ORGANIZATION
The Head of Infrastructure & Service Desk (I&SD) is responsible for the delivery of IT infrastructure and related IT operation and user services for HQ and IT central services, used to enable key capabilities and services across OCBA.
The successful candidate will bring experience, knowledge, and future vision for transforming the I&SD function including its strategy, operating model, product and service offerings and workforce.
The Head of Infrastructure & Service Desk will work within the Projects & IT team, and s/he will be accountable to the Projects & IT Lead.
The Head of Infrastructure & Service Desk (I&SD) will be responsible for the following main functions:
- Define and manage IT Infrastructure, operation and user services from Central Services for Field and HQ, directing implementation of products and services under his/her area of responsibility, and ensuring the availability of the necessary tools for its operation.
- Ensure IT infrastructure and operation synergies are optimally enabled between HQ and Field, in order to guarantee optimal development of processes contributing to the efficiency and quality of the organization.
- Oversee the performance of Service Desk and documented resolutions identifying problem areas and delivering solutions to enhance quality of service and ensure business continuity.
- Ensure the secure and effective operation of all computer systems, related applications, hardware and software provided from Central Services for Field and HQ, according to IT infrastructure and ICT strategies to ensure proper management of IT and service provided.
The technology area that will be coordinated by the Head of Infrastructure & Service Desk (I&SD) will be focused on transversal and HQ datacentres, storage, cloud infrastructures (IaaS), networks & telecom, systems operation (including Microsoft 365 environment), digital workplace, and user support services / service desk (mainly focused in HQ) although it might dynamically change based on Information & Technology strategies and operating model evolutions, organizational needs, or efficiency considerations.
- Jointly with the Projects & IT Lead and in collaboration with the Head of Field ICT, sets the vision and strategic approaches of the I&SD unit to maximize the success of MSF initiatives.
- Introduces innovative, differentiating infrastructure and IT operation and support capabilities that enhance overall OCBA setups and employee productivity.
- Works with the Projects & IT leadership team on the service portfolio and governance required to prioritize resources, including budget.
- Builds successful stakeholder relationships with key stakeholders in Projects & IT and OCBA departments and offices, by developing a clear understanding of needs, acting as a trusted advisor, and ensuring cost-effective delivery of technology and digital services to meet those needs.
- Develops and controls the annual I&SD budget to ensure that it's consistent with the overall strategic objectives of Projects & IT and MSF OCBA and is within plan. Creates a culture of continuous cost optimization.
- Develops a strategic mindset for the development of projects, products and services, closely working with other Projects & IT leaders in portfolio development and prioritization and ensuring the work of his/her teams is well organized based on added value for MSF.
- Collaborates with the Head of Information Security to ensure I&SD contributes to, embraces, and applies information security / cybersecurity strategies, being a key actor in the execution of IT security operations.
- Operates a formal governance mechanism to establish and monitor effective controls for the processes and functions performed by I&SD teams. Supports periodic reviews by audit teams (including financial, DPO) as required.
- Works with HR and the Projects & IT leadership team to develop and execute workforce plans that ensure I&SD can supply skilled talent to meet the needs of MSF.
- Develops the maturity of I&SD to improve efficiency, deliver new innovations and increase collaboration with other departments and Projects & IT teams (e.g., through Agile, DevOps, platform, and product approaches).
- Supports the Projects & IT Lead and the Head of Architecture & New Solutions by implementing infrastructure solutions that align to the enterprise architecture framework and roadmap.
- University degree in a relevant field (Computer Science, Electrical / Telecom Engineering, IT/IS Management, etc.), or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum experience of 7 years working in IT or technology, with 3 or more working in management.
- Oriented to the service provision and management.
- Experience in infrastructure, IT operation and user services management and architecture.
- Experience in the development and management of a budget and in the effective management of expense allocations.
- Experience in Service Level Agreement and Services Portfolio Management.
- Experience in managing technology providers including development of strategic partnerships, negotiation of technology contracts, monitoring service delivery, and addressing vendor performance issues.
- Knowledge of ITIL or similar service management practices
- Previous experience working with MSF or other humanitarian organizations is an asset.
- Experience working with a diverse, non-technical, geographically dispersed organization is a strong asset.
- Fluency in Spanish and English is required. French is an asset.
KEY SOFT SKILLS TO SUCCEED IN THIS ROLE
- Great communication skills, including public speaking, writing skills and active listening. Ability to promote honest and respectful communication.
- Excellence at translating complex technical concepts to ideas that can be understood by non-technical minds.
- Ability to manage uncertainty and complexity, and to feel comfortable working on a risk-tolerant environment.
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines effectively.
- Able and willing to travel occasionally.
- Good planning, organization, and team management skills, and ability to foster a strong collaborative environment.
- Analytical thinking.
- Ability to face and embrace change.
- Strong customer focus. Ability adapt her/his approaches and strategies to the needs of users and stakeholders.
- Knowledge of Microsoft technologies including OS, servers, 365 environment.
- Knowledge of IT architecture of ERPs, CRMs, HIS, BI is an asset.
- Knowledge of Telecom (VHF/HF Radio, satellite, mobile communications) is an asset.
- Enterprise Architecture Knowledge is an asset.
- Experience in Service Management definition.
- Knowledge of Zendesk or other service management solutions is an asset.
- Desirable knowledge of best practices frameworks and standard methodologies: ITIL, COBIT, SCRUM, Agile, PRINCE2, LeanIT.
- Permanent position based in Barcelona (Spain) at the Médecins Sans Frontières Spain Headquarters.
- Full-time job.
- Minimum commitment with the position of 3 years.
- Annual gross salary: HQ-4C 42,652.89€ (divided into 12 monthly payments) + Secondary Benefits based on the MSF-OCBA Reward Policy.
- Starting date: as soon as possible.
To apply, please submit your CV and cover letter: https://careers.msf-applications.org/job-invite/6542/
Closing date: July 10th, 2022, 23:59 CET (Central European Time).
MSF is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, race, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. We are committed to achieving a balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence. MSF provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. MSF does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo reference checks.
Médecins Sans Frontières, as a responsible employer, under article 38 of “Ley de Integración Social del Minusválido de 1982 (LISMI)” invite those persons with a recognized disability and with an interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the above-mentioned position.