IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture.
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply;
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO's values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
FAO assists governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to address hunger and malnutrition, and provides technical support for the sustainable development of their agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors and to respond to cries. FAO in collaboration with the Government of Malawi and with support of multiple development partners is implementing a wide range of activities to improve livelihoods of small-scale farmers as well as assisting a more inclusive and sustainable development in the country. FAO Malawi is currently supporting the Government to strengthen community-based resilience in vulnerable rural areas, facilitate a more sustainable management of natural resources and supporting nutrition-sensitive agriculture. Likewise, FAO provides and mobilizes technical assistance required by the country in areas related with agriculture production, agriculture economics and other areas relevant.
The Agribusiness Specialist will work under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Malawi and the technical supervision of the Assistant FAO Representative – Programme, Senior Project Officer and the Head of Coordination Section
The Agribusiness Specialist will provide technical expertise to the Agribusiness team at FAO Malawi, with support of the Coordination, M&E and Operations Sections at FAO Malawi. Likewise, he/she will work closely with stakeholders such as Government Technical staff at national level, district councils, Non-Government Organizations (NGOs), Community-Based Organizations and UN agencies. The incumbent will be part of the SFS Agribusiness Coordination Unit’s Team.
Tasks and responsibilities
The incumbent will more specifically:
• Plan and lead components of multi-disciplinary teams, lead and/or participate in internal committees, project teams, and working groups and/or provides specialized expertise on technical networks and/or national and international policy and/or international technical policy and standard setting bodies;
• Develop technical, analytical, monitoring and reporting frameworks, and related methodologies, tools, systems and databases etc. to support the planning, implementation/delivery and monitoring of programmes of work, projects, products and/or services especially the ones related with agribusiness and agriculture commercialization, with emphasis on inclusive value chains;
• Design and conduct research, data collection, validation, analysis and/or reporting activities to support the development of technical standards, innovative approaches and strategies, new tools, technologies, technical reports/publications, and/or policy proposals as well as the provision of technical/policy/ specialist/ advice and expertise in areas related with agribusiness and agriculture commercialization;
• Respond to country requests for technical and policy assistance, provision of technical support to private sector stakeholders interested in agri-food inclusive business;
• Provide technical advice, assistance and solutions to FAO Malawi in areas related with blended finance and provides technical backstopping to field projects with the design of agri-business approaches for small-scale farming systems and SMEs;
• Collaborate in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality / effectiveness of capacity development and knowledge sharing activities at national level such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning materials, training materials;
• Participate in resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy.
• Coordinate and supervise field development activities of the BUILD and MCB projects at FAO Malawi, particularly providing technical backstopping and provision of technical expertise in areas related with integrated value chains approaches, engagement with private sector, provision of expert technical advice and policy dialogue;
• Analyse selected agricultural sub sectors and value chains relevant for the country, providing technical summaries, compilation of documents and policy briefs relevant to engage different stakeholders, particularly for the implementation of the UN Joint Build programme.
• Facilitate the formulation of the agribusiness strategy for the FAO Office in Malawi, supporting internal and external engagements with different relevant stakeholders such as Government institutions, academia, private sector, financial partners and other relevant parties;
• Assess constraints and opportunities for investment in the agri-food sector at different levels and in particular value chains, in relation to the functionality of private sector engagement, markets and market institutions, existence and performance of support services, trade policies, risk management systems, as well as food safety control systems when applicable.
• Identify and analyses agricultural investment-related policy issues, and develops public private platforms aiming at promoting an enabling environment for investment along the value chain.
• Provide contributions to the development of knowledge products, including analytical work and practical tools, related to agribusiness, marketing and value chain development.
• Facilitate the formulation of project proposals, concept notes and analysis required to assist resource mobilization in areas related with agriculture commercialization and agri-business.
• Lead the preparation and organization of training and specific studies on agribusiness and food systems investment development and management;
• Participate in project meetings including Management Committee Meetings, and other fora if and when required;
• Prepare activity briefs, progress and final reports for projects the incumbent is responsible for in line with FAO and the respective resource partners’ formats;
• Collaborate with the FAO Sub regional Office for Southern Africa (SFS) and the Regional Office for Africa on resource mobilization related functions;
• Perform other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in agriculture, agro-industry, economics, agricultural economics or a closely related field.
• Seven years of relevant experience in the areas of agro-industry systems development, agri-food industry economics and management or related field, application of value chain analysis and development, agribusiness and market development, processing, including experience in the formulation and/or implementation of agricultural investment operations.
• Working knowledge (level C) of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge (level B) of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese or Russian for COF. Working knowledge (level C) of English, French or Spanish for PSA.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
• Extent and relevance of experience in working with inter-governmental bodies and multidisciplinary teams;
• Extent and relevance of experience in Africa, preferably in Southern Africa is considered an asset;
• Extent and relevance of experience in the management and implementation of large (development) projects, including the design; and implementation of monitoring systems;
• Extent and relevance of experience with blended finance projects is an advantage.
• Proven ability to work as a member of a team with diverse backgrounds;
• Ability to pay attention to detail;
• Computer literacy, especially using standard and analytical software and other information, communication and technology equipment.
• Ability to be multi-tasked and to handle large volumes of work in an effective and timely manner.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency