Construction Engineer, NOA, Fixed-Term, #107654, Dhaka, Bangladesh #552207 (For Bangladeshi Nationals Only)
Join our dynamic team as the Construction Engineer for providing technical support to construction activities of the country office.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
With UNICEF Bangladesh you are at the centre of the change you want to see.
In one of the largest UNICEF Country Offices in the world, you will be working with dynamic colleagues who have helped deliver remarkable results for children: Net enrolment in primary education rose from 61 per cent in 1987 to 98 per cent in 2019. Stunting fell from 42 per cent in 2013 to 28 per cent in 2019. Fully vaccinated children increased from 52 per cent in 2001 to 84 per cent in 2019.
Join us as we go the next mile for the nearly 60 million children in Bangladesh, including half a million Rohingya refugee children.
In a country undergoing rapid economic and demographic transition, be part of tackling malnutrition and stagnant wasting. Help protect children from child marriage, child labour and violence. Support the country to invest more in health and education, and to extend safe water to the children who are furthest left behind.
For every child, a hero.
How can you make a difference?
The Construction Officer reports to the Construction Engineer NOB as per the Country Office (CO) set-up and is responsible for providing technical support to construction activities of the country office. The technical support on construction projects includes planning, support to procurement, as well as monitoring of construction works on site. The incumbent collaborates closely with UNICEF Programme/ Operations in defining construction interventions to meet programmatic needs and achieve results for children.
- Preparation of construction annual workplan
- Collaboration with UNICEF Programmes/Operations and coordination with Government counterparts
- Preparation of design and technical documents
- Support to procurement process
- Monitoring of construction projects
- Contract management and liaison with LTA holders, construction companies, Government and others stakeholders for smooth implementation
For detailed job responsibilities, please click the link below:
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- A university degree is required in in civil engineering, construction engineering, architecture or other relevant area.
- A minimum of one (1) year of relevant experience, at the national and/or international levels, in project monitoring, site supervision, quality assurance and/or other directly related technical fields is required.
- Understanding of development and humanitarian work.
- Emergencies experience an advantage.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate...
UNICEF's values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA).
The UNICEF competencies required for this post are...
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (1)
- Works Collaboratively with others (1)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (1)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (1)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (1)
- Drives to achieve impactful results (1)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (1)
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
*UNICEF does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
*Internal candidates may be given preference over external candidates. The term "Internal" refers to all staff members with fixed term, continuing or permanent appointments.
*Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
*The complete vacancy announcements can be reviewed via UNICEF Careers website at https://jobs.unicef.org/en-us/listing/