Programme Analyst - Insurance and Risk Finance (NPSA9)
UNDP is the UN’s global development network, an organization advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience, and resources to help people build a better life. UNDP is on the ground in about 170 countries and territories, working with national counterparts on solutions to global and national development challenges.
In the programme countries, UNDP supports stabilization, state-building, governance and development priorities in in partnership with the host governments, the United Nations system, the development partners and other partners to help the country to achieve sustainable development by eradicating poverty in all its forms and dimensions, accelerating structural transformations for sustainable development and building resilience to crises and shock.
UNDP has worked in India since 1951 in almost all areas of human development, from systems and institutional strengthening to inclusive growth and sustainable livelihoods, as well as sustainable energy, environment and resilience. UNDP’s programmes continue to fully integrate a global vision for catalytic change with India’s national priorities. With over 30 projects on the ground in almost every state, today UNDP India works to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals by transforming traditional models to do development differently. In a rapidly changing global environment, the work of UNDP and the broader UN family aligns with the Government of India's new national development vision, India 2030, and builds upon the Sustainable Development Goals. UNDP India's country programme for 2018-2022 has three major focus areas:
- Inclusive growth
- Environment and energy
- Strengthening systems and institutions
These are supported by a framework of renewed partnerships and blended finance solutions, a pool of financial and technical resources for greater impact and scale, and South-South expertise.
You are invited to join a team of dedicated development professionals whose primary role is to support the India to achieve the 2030 Agenda. As part of the UNDP team your focus will be to work with multiple stakeholders to find the country specific solutions that lead to sustainable development and to ensure no one is left behind - and we reach those furthest behind first.
UNDP is looking for individuals who have the communication, analytical, planning and implementation capacities that can address links, choices and connections across many issues and sectors. We seek individuals who can apply global best practice to national contexts. We are looking for people who are enthusiastic, motivated, and committed to making a positive contribution to Development in India.
The collaboration between the insurance industry and the development sector has grown significantly over the last five years. Key initiatives, such as the Insurance Development Forum, InsuResilience Global Partnership and the Ocean Risk and Resilience Action Alliance, have evolved into significant policy and standard setting partnerships, bringing together countries, the development sector, and the private and mutual/cooperative sectors of industry. Increasingly, these partnerships are moving beyond policy to programming, with a strong focus on not only delivering insurance and risk financing solutions to countries and communities, but also on long-term transformational change of insurance markets.
UNDP’s growing work in this space has led to the creation of the Insurance and Risk Finance Facility, a flagship initiative on insurance and risk finance within the newly created Sustainable Finance Hub. This work covers a range of critical areas where insurance and risk transfer solutions and collaboration with the industry can add significantly to achieving and delivering on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs.) Covering inclusive insurance, sovereign risk financing, insurance investments, natural capital, health, SME development and more, UNDP’s work will look to not only develop and deliver insurance solutions together with countries and communities, it will also look to work with partners to transform insurance markets, working on legislation, regulation and institutional capacity.
- Oversee the identification, selection and supervision of national consultants and experts, in close collaboration with the UNDP Country Office and the IRFF Regional Advisor and write/revise terms of reference for review by relevant team members;
- In consultation with the UNDP Country Office and Global IRFF Team and supported by the Regional Specialists, elaborate/revise the work plan and budget and submit draft workplans/budgets timely for the bi-annual budget revision process (30 June and 31 December of each year);
- Supervise the work of national experts and institutions to ensure outputs are delivered on time, within the set budget, and to high quality standards; facilitate, guide and monitor the work
- Organise all relevant project workshops in a consultative manner, involving a wide variety of biodiversity finance stakeholders, including the government, private sector, NGOs, donors and academia;
- In consultation with Country Offices, discuss with government partners and other key stakeholders the establishment of a national Steering Committee (or other relevant steering structures) and follow up on the formal establishment and regular convening of the Committee, undertake the same for any other proposed coordination mechanism, and write meeting reports to be shared with the UNDP CO and IRFF global;
- Ensure a timely identification of risks in implementation at the national level and communication to the global IRFF team;
- Organise monthly meetings with IRFF Regional Specialist.
- Signal any delays in national deliverables compared to the workplan to the Regional Specialist and UNDP Country Office focal person;
- Lead project monitoring, reporting and evaluation at national level, draft monthly and quarterly reports for review by the Regional Specialist and submission to the global IRFF team;
- Develop workshop reports for the inception workshop and all technical workshops;
- Develop briefing notes, case studies, press releases, web articles and other media products as required;
- Assist with research and write and edit sections of technical reports as required;
- Review all national level deliverables to ensure quality and consistency with the IRFF methodology.
Strengthen strategic partnerships for country office programming on SDG financing
- Support UNDP CO to maintain and strengthen liaisons with relevant partners, including the Government of India, state governments, development partners, private sector and other actors supporting SDG finance initiatives including the insurance space.
- Identify further opportunities for the country office to collaborate with UNDP’s Bangkok Regional Hub and the global Sustainable Finance Hub on SDG Financing related areas
- Support the development of proposals and project documents, for the SDG Finance unit and in partnership with other UNDP teams including state offices, inclusive growth and the environment unit in an effort to mobilise resources for further programming.
Indicative key deliverables (products and processes):
- Detailed IRFF Work Plan and budget agreed by all major partners;
- National Steering/Advisory Committee formed and operational;
- All consultants and service providers delivering to schedule;
- Lines of communication and working methods agreed and functional;
- Reporting and updates provided to UNDP, government, IRFF, etc.;
- Planned activities are carried out in line with timelines and required quality standards;
- All workshops organised in line with workplan and well documented;
- Technical inputs to synthesis reports and policy briefs as required;
- Overall transformational process (outreach to government, steering committee, etc.).
Any other responsibilities as assigned by supervisor/ manager
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 2: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 2: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 2: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 2: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 2: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 2: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making
- Digital Awareness and Literacy: Ability and inclination to rapidly adopt new technologies, either through skillfuly grasping their usage or through understanding their impact and empowering others to use them as needed
- Working with Evidence and Data: Ability to inspect, cleanse, transform and model data with the goal of discovering useful information, informing conclusions and supporting decision-making
- Project Management: Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals
- Results Based Management: Ability to manage programmes and projects with a strategy aimed at improved performance and demonstrable results
- Partnership management: Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders, Governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies
- Strategic Thinking: Ability to develop effective strategies and prioritized plans in line with UNDPs objectives, based on the systemic analysis of challenges, potential risks and opportunities; linking the vision to reality on the ground, and creating tangible solutions; Ability to leverage learning from a variety of sources to anticipate and respond to future trends; to demonstrate foresight in order to model what future developments and possible ways forward look like for UNDP
- Bachelors Degree in development finance/ finance/ public policy/ economics or a related field .
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant work experience, preferably in the implementation of projects relevant to insurance and risk finance, sustainable finance or financial inclusion. For those with Masters Degree, 2 years experience is the minimum requirement
- Experience in working with development partners, government or private sector on programing in relation to sustainable development, climate change finance, SDGs finance, financing instruments, debt financing, public finance, inclusive insurance or development finance
- Ability to maintain overview in complex work situations, self-starter.
- Able to gather and process data and information.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to network among the national team and beyond to other national institutions.
- Writes clearly professional correspondence adequately.
- Shares knowledge and is willing to provide support to others who request advice or help.
- Works toward creative solutions by analysing problems carefully and logically.
- Maintains professional relationships with supervisors, co-workers and clients.
- Has excellent oral communication skills and conflict resolution competency to mediate inter-group dynamics and mediate conflicts
- Ability to work with a multidisciplinary and multicultural team
- Strong analytical skills
- Solid networking capacity
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively under minimal supervision;
- Good skills in organization and management;
- Excellent skill in using computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc), advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages
- Ability to make briefs and concept notes in short turnaround times
- Prior UNDP experience would be an asset
- Exposure to environmental issues or biodiversity highly desirable, but not required.
- Desired areas of specialization: public finance/ public financial management/ climate change, sustainable or inclusive finance, impact investing / insurance – reinsurance / disaster risk finance/ micro-finance
- Experience of working with the government, IFIs/ MDBs, financial institutions, development partners, private sector, universities on inclusive finance and/ or insurance will be an advantage
- Experience in project management in the area of climate change, natural resources, energy, climate/sustainable/ inclusive finance, insurance, green economy would be highly desirable.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential.
- Working Knowledge in written and spoken Hindi is required.