UNDP partners with people at all levels of society to help build nations that can withstand crisis, and drive and sustain the kind of growth that improves the quality of life for everyone. With offices in more than 170 countries and territories, we offer global perspective and local insight to help empower lives and build resilient nations.
UNDP continues to partner with governments and communities to address development challenges such as areas of poverty reduction, climate change and efficient governance. In all its programmes, UNDP integrates human rights and gender equality, advocating that everyone should have equal access to the benefits of development.
In supporting various projects and programmes, UNDP Eswatini wishes to contract a Graphic Designer on long term agreement (LTA) who will be responsible for filming events and small-scale video productions.
Under the Long-Term Agreement (LTA), the Graphic Designer may work remotely or be assigned anywhere in Eswatini, depending on the requirement. The LTA can be availed to other UN agencies in the Eswatini under same terms and conditions.
Duties and Responsibilities
Objective of the Assignment
The graphic designer will be responsible for design services for:
- the Programmes teams and the Communications department materials such as brochures, presentations, factsheets, infographics, posters, newsletters, books, social media cards to support communications, advocacy, and resource mobilization and to enhance visibility and understanding of UNDP as well as increasing the efficiency of its programmatic activities and specific campaigns and events.
- Produce communication and information materials such as, but not limited to, publications, infographics, factographics, storybooks, corporate brochures, manuals, flipcharts, presentations, fact sheets, posters, GIFs, data visualization etc.
- Develop creative treatment and design for communication materials as specified in UNDP creative brief and technical specifications
- Transforming text-based communications materials into visual graphic design materials such as infographic, animations, brochures, backdrop, branding material etc.
- Provide recommendations on the best and most relevant visual design style and materials suitable for the project’s target audience
- Liaise with UNDP Communications Unit regarding any visual design work to ensure compliance with UNDP communications policies and branding rules.
The graphic designer will be required to have her/his own technical and software-based equipment to deliver the services specified in this ToR.
Scope of Work
The initial contract would be for one year with an option for renewal in the subsequent years which is contingent on a satisfactory performance evaluation. The LTA will be valid for maximum period of 2 years. UNDP may issue long term agreements (IC contracts) for selected consultants or National Professional Services Agreement (NPSA) depending upon the need of various projects. LTA holders are not guaranteed any contract amount during the validity of the LTA, and engagement will be on an on-call basis.
Duty Station and Travel
The LTA holder will be required to work either from their own homes or UNDP required location depending on specific requirement offices. For completion of the activities/deliverables, the consultant will be responsible for her/his own equipment, tools or software (i.e. laptop, internet, phone, scanner/printer etc.) and must have access to reliable internet connection.
There is no expectation of any travel, however if require/requested by UNDP, the LTA holder would make their own arrangements for travel and lodging. Payment of travel costs including tickets (based on economy class ticket only), lodging, etc. should be agreed upon, between UN/UNDP and the LTA holder prior to travel. All travel related expenses, including allowances should be within the UN DSA rate, will be reimbursed on actuals, upon submission of original receipts.
LTA Contracting modality and Call-off mechanism:
- All the selected candidates will be put on a roster, valid for 2 years.
- The LTA to be signed for two (2) years will be an all-inclusive lumpsum offer (based on the submission of the reports mentioned in “Deliverable/output clause” and in the “Scope of Price Proposal and Schedule of Payments”).
- The payment method linked to the resulting LTA will be adapted to the nature of the specific assignment/ToRs; however, UNDP does not warrant any quantity of services will be purchased during the term of the LTA as this will depend on forthcoming needs.
- Once the LTA is signed, if there is a specific requirement to be done in terms of Graphic/Layout/Design, the Operations Analyst in UNDP would contact the top-ranking LTA holder (ranking to be set up as per evaluation method and criteria section below). Should this Layout/Design Artist not be available for the event, UNDP will contact the second ranked Graphic/Layout/Design Artist and so on.
- Upon receipt of this communication, the LTA holder would have to confirm their availability for the assignment. Upon review of the same, UNDP will send the Copy Editor a written communication confirming the requirement in the form of a work order or purchase order sent by email.
- After the work order has been sent, no further costs would be reimbursed by UNDP (increased outputs, or increased travel costs) unless there is prior written authorization by UNDP.
- Once the services are completed and have been approved by the hiring unit, the Operations analyst will request the LTA holder to send the following for payment purposes:
- a) complete invoice indicating number of pages and travel costs (if any);
- b) supporting documentation (bills/vouchers) for reimbursements of travel costs if applicable;
- c) copy of the UNDP order for the assignment.
- Integrity: Demonstrates consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff; and demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating differences in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Graphic Design/Multimedia; specific qualifications, or technical studies in design or layout are an advantage.
- At least 5 years of experience in design and strong layout skills;
- Very good creative skills and advanced command over a full range of graphic design software, including Adobe Suite/CC such as illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop;
- Proven experience of graphic production from start to published/printed products with knowledge of printing processes and colour management;
- Experience in developing design related to women’s empowerment and gender equality is an advantage and will be considered.
- Previous working experience with the UN and other international organizations is an asset.
Proficiency in written and spoken English.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit an electronic application no later than the closing date for receiving all applications is Wednesday, 06 July 2022. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Submission of package
- Cover letter. Duly accomplished Letter of Confirmation of Interest and Availability using the template provided by UNDP; Letter of Confirmation of Interest template
- Personal CV or P11, (P11 form); indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the candidate and at least three (3) contactable references of similar work done within the last 18 months.
- A sample portfolio consisting of a selection of design materials to showcase the qualifications stated above.
- Financial proposal. The financial proposal shall specify a daily rate (inclusive of any costs as communication, administrative costs). The financial proposal should include quotes against the following:
Proposed price (rate/hour)
Design/layout (including concept development)
Reports, Newsletters, Flyers, Banners, Pamphlets Manuals etc
Please note you can upload only one document to this application (scan all documents in one single PDF file to attach).
Incomplete applications will be excluded from further consideration.
Criteria for Selection of the Best Offer
- Combined Scoring method – where the qualifications and experiences will be weighted a max. of 70%, and combined with the price offer which will be weighted a max of 30%