International Specialist in GEF, GCF and AF integrated programming
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture.
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply;
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO's values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The main aim of FAO Country Offices, headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner. FAO Lao PDR assists the Government to develop policies, programmes and projects to address the root causes of hunger and malnutrition, to develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors and to use environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner. FAO participates in the development and implementation of field projects in the sectors of food security, agriculture and rural development. This requires the integration within the broader framework of sustainable food and agriculture that aims at increasing production and productivity, addressing climate change, and managing natural resources; and enhance rural livelihoods.
“Resilient COVID-19 recovery and transformational pipeline to boost climate actions in agriculture, land and water sectors in Lao PDR” project aims to strengthen the capacity of the new NDA office with particular focus on (1) Building new NDA capacity for GCF coordination, in synergy with GEF and Adaptation und programming and strengthening Monitoring, Reporting, and Verification (MRV) of climate finance and its contribution to achieving the NDC, the 9th National Socio-Economic Development Plan 2021-2025 and localized SDGs targets; (2) Developing resilient and green COVID-19 recovery investment plans for the agriculture, forest, and other land use (AFOLU) sectors that are the most climate vulnerable and heavily affected by COVID-19 while also being the largest emitting sectors in the country; and (3) Developing a transformational climate finance pipeline with programme/project concept notes to maximize synergies of GCF, GEF, and AF and address resilient and green COVID-19 recovery.
Under the overall administrative and functional guidance of the FAO Representative in Lao PDR, the direct supervision of the Operations Specialist. The consultant will work in collaboration with the National Institutional and Capacity Building Consultant, the programme development specialist and other project team members.
The incumbent will closely collaborate with FAO staff at country and regional level as well as with government counterparts and other implementing partners and stakeholders.
Tasks and responsibilities
• Provide strategic advice to NDA
• Design and lead the strategic review of current GEF, GCF, Adaptation Fund (AF) programming in Lao PDR including but not limited to the programming cycle, prioritization, programmes/projects to date and their contributions to national goals and global commitments, areas for improvement to maximize synergies and impacts.
• Design consultation process, support the NDA, in close collaboration with National Focal Points of GEF and AF, in facilitating dialogues among government agencies and stakeholders
• Draft the Guideline for integrated GEF, GCF and AF programming and identification of project ideas with potential for synergized objectives and funding with a special focus on GEF-8 programme cycle
• Finalize the Guidance document based on consultations
• Contribute to the development of the GCF transformative pipeline
• Contribute to the trainings on GCF project development, aligned with GEF and AF requitements
• Work with other international and national consultants on integrated and identify related concept notes and project proposals
• Perform other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• University degree in environment, climate change, planning, management and other related field to the work of the Organization;
• At least 5 years of relevant experience and familiar with GEF, GCF and AF project concept notes and proposals
• Knowing programming and pipelines of GEF, GCF and AF is advantage
• Working knowledge of English (C Level) and limited knowledge of one of the other FAO languages (French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, and Russian) for COF.REG. For PSA.SBS a working knowledge of English
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus;
• Building Effective Relationships;
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement.
• Information Management skills;
• Quality of both oral and written communication skills;
• Ability to plan and organize institutional and technical work and support work of multi-disciplinary teams;
• Demonstrated analytical, negotiating and advisory skills;
• Computer literacy;
• Experience to work with government authorities.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency