Working within a multi-disciplinary team and under the supervision of a Forensic Coordinator, the Forensic Specialist, brings:
Direct support to affected populations
• Contribute to the case analysis, case management and follow up of ICRC Tracing requests regarding missing people. The professional will focus on collection and analysis of data, and provide recommendations about the next course of action.
• Participate in family information sessions regarding the identification processes of their beloved ones, and the management of the dead.
• Advise and support to authorities on the strengthening of the legal framework regarding the dignified management of the dead according to the best standards and in accordance with IHL obligations when needed.
• Support the Operational Medico-Legal System: help to strengthen the cooperation and coordination between the parties such as ministries (Min of Health, Min of Justice, Min of Defense), and institutions (for e.g. mortuaries, hospitals, laboratories).
• Advise on Standard Operating Procedures and work on capacity building by providing training on searching for mass graves, excavation and exhumation, methods of identification in laboratories, techniques of archaeology/anthropology, medical procedures, and DNA analysis.
• Sensitize, advocate and/or provide support to authorities on the development of Emergency Response Preparedness.
• In support of the Forensic Coordinator; Contributes to the assessment of the forensic humanitarian situation and the elaboration of an ICRC forensic response and contributing in the monitoring of the program evaluation (fit for purpose) and reporting mechanism.