Multigrain Seed Production Agronomist / Specialist
About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies 1 million smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. Our 8,000+ team is drawn from diverse backgrounds and professions. With operations across six core countries in Africa, we make farmers more prosperous by providing quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. On average, the farmers we serve harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
To learn more about our work, take a look at our Why Work Here blog for more information.
About the Role
The Multigrain Seed Production Agronomist will work with the One Acre Fund Rwanda Multigrain Seed Processing (MSP) team based in Bugesera at the Seed Centre of Excellence in partnership with RICA the University. The MSP team aims to produce and process improved, high-quality, diversified grain seed crops, aside from traditional and commonly produced seed crops such as hybrid maize. The MSP team will ensure provision of these diversified seeds to over a million farmers through the OAF Core Program and in partnership with the Seed Centre of Excellence at RICA, ultimately creating tens of millions of dollars of impact via increased yields and diversified income for seed producers and farmers across Rwanda.
- Understand seed species and varieties, seed quality control standards, and crop delivery requirements.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with seed multipliers, contractors and the local farming community.
- Develop and implement programs addressing agronomic issues in production fields; including but not limited to integrated pest management (IPM), crop input requirements and field inspection programs and best practice agronomic recommendations to optimize quality and yield.
- Plan and conduct field visits throughout the production season; with travel to regional production areas expected during planting, detasseling (where required) and harvest periods.
- Coordination with the OAF and Seed Centre internal quality control team.
- Coordination with external seed inspectors (such as RICA) and the OAF Government Relations team to ensure quality testing, certification and distribution of seed (as needed).
- Foster an operational culture founded on adherence to all applicable Health Safety Environment (HSE) and other corporate policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Become fluent in the latest production technologies and develop specialized skills in areas such as systems, data analysis, equipment maintenance, fertility, irrigation management, etc.
- Develop and maintain a grower evaluation system to drive increased yields and quality.
- Support the MSP Operations Lead to perform and coordinate seed logistics activities to ensure accurate records and movement of seed.
- Satisfy internal production standards in alignment with quality, project timeline, and financial objectives.
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
Across all roles, these are the general qualifications we look for. For this role specifically, you will have:
- A university degree in agriculture sciences, crop production, or other related fields
- At least three years of professional work experience in seed oriented agriculture or a related area.
- Fluency in Kinyarwanda and English language
- Excellent computer skills (Google Docs, Excel)
- Ability to in team and deliver high-quality work
- Integrity, humility, and a passion to serve farmers
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible
Bugesera, Rwanda (with travel to Kigali and surrounding areas as required)
Health insurance, paid time off
This role is only open to citizens or permanent residents of Rwanda
21 September 2022
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here ([email protected]), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI), and anti-racism are deeply connected to our organization’s mission and purpose. One Acre Fund aspires to build a culture where all staff feel consistently valued, represented, and connected – so that our team can thrive as professionals, and achieve exceptional impact for the farmers we serve.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
Once a month, you'll receive a roundup of our latest news and job opportunities.
Help us personalize your experience by telling us a little about yourself.