The Housing Specialist secures and coordinates the furnishing of safe, sanitary, and affordable housing for newly arriving refugees and provides related logistical support.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Identify and secure safe, sanitary, and affordable housing for newly arriving refugees in compliance with established program requirements.
· Conduct ongoing outreach to current and potential landlords and property managers, building strong working relationships with the goal of increasing access to housing for refugee families and to coordinate client home repair requests as needed. Collaborate effectively with coworkers and partner organizations to support a positive resettlement experience.
· Coordinate logistics of housing set-ups including ordering furniture and supplies and arranging delivery, arranging utility hook-ups, facilitating lease signings and renewals, arranging payments, and conducting home safety inspections.
· Implement a high-quality procurement protocol including researching potential new vendors, following appropriate financial and purchasing procedures, and maintaining required documentation.
· Deliver orientations to clients; may support other pre- and post-arrival activities such as airport pick-ups.
· Satisfy recordkeeping requirements.
· Use personal, insured vehicle and/or public transportation (where available) to travel and transport clients and materials as needed throughout the service delivery area.
· May train and lead the activities of support staff, volunteers, and interns.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred.
· Minimum of 1 year of relevant professional experience required.
· Experience working with refugee and/or immigrant populations preferred.
Demonstrated Skills & Competencies:
· Strong relationship building, diplomacy, and networking skills; ability to effectively build internal and external relationships.
· Demonstrated success working and communicating effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
· Self-starter with excellent problem-solving skills combined with the proven ability to multi-task, prioritize duties, and manage time effectively.
· Superb organization, planning, and logistical skills.
· Attention to detail and accuracy in work product.
· Ability to regularly lift ~50 lbs.
· Fluent in English, both spoken and written.
· Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook); ability to use the internet and other digital tools for data entry, research and problem-solving purposes.
· Valid driver’s license and access to a personal, insured vehicle.
- A combination of standard office environment, remote work, and ‘field’ time within the service delivery area to perform the above outlined responsibilities.
- May require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires new hires to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for any in-office or hybrid positions. All IRC US offices require full vaccination to attend any in-office functions (e.g., meetings, trainings).
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
US Benefits: We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, these include: 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25 paid time off days depending on role and tenure, medical insurance starting at $120 per month, dental starting at $7 per month, and vision starting at $5 per month, FSA for healthcare and commuter costs, a 403b retirement savings plans with immediately vested matching, disability & life insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and mental health struggles.