Immigration and Citizenship Intern
Salt Lake City
BACKGROUND: Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee is a leading, non-sectarian, non-profit organization providing emergency relief, protection, rehabilitation assistance, resettlement services, and advocacy for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. Domestically, our 26 offices across the U.S. ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing, and work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency.
The Immigration Program at IRC in Salt Lake City assists New American clients during all stages of their immigration process. This includes assisting refugees, asylees, and all other documented immigrants with obtaining or replacing their immigration documents, petitioning to bring clients’ family members to the U.S. from abroad, and adjusting clients’ statuses to permanent resident or citizen. The IRC SLC also provides comprehensive support to clients applying for US citizenship: offering administrative support, education, and one-on-one coaching to help prepare clients for the application process.
SCOPE OF INTERN WORK: Under the supervision of the Immigration Team, the Immigration & Citizenship Intern will play a crucial role in working with clients at all stages of their immigration process. The Intern will assist with case filing and documentation, communication with clients, and researching basic immigration case law.
· Manage Immigration Case Files and Documentation
· Compile case notes and enter data into tracking systems
· Contact clients regarding their case and upcoming appointments
· Assist with completing case file intake and applications with clients
· Administrate the Citizenship Preparation Classes
· Conduct intake and assessments of program participants
· Connect program participants to a program volunteer for weekly instruction
· Provide direction, support and supervision to program volunteers,
· Enter data into program’s information systems and track progress of program participants
· Assist with completion of program grant requests and reports
· Conduct community outreach for immigration program