Chief of the Arabic Translation Unit (Re-advertisement)
Post Number : CLD-314
Grade : P-5
Parent Sector : Division for Conferences, Languages and Documents (CLD)
Duty Station: Paris
Job Family: Translation / Interpretation / Writing
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years with possibility of renewal
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 16-SEP-2022
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Director for Conferences, Languages and Documents, and the direct supervision of and in close collaboration with the Coordinator, Translation Services, the incumbent will be responsible for managing, supervising and coordinating all the activities of the Arabic Translation Unit. This involves:
- assuming overall responsibility for the translation, revision, editing and text processing and other composition works carried out in the Unit by permanent and short-term staff both in-house and outsourced, including the production of summary records and the harmonization of governing body decisions and resolutions; ensuring the quality and accuracy of texts and the observance of deadlines and workload standards;
- ensuring the optimal use of the Unit’s human and financial resources, recruiting and identifying temporary staff for in-house and outsourced work; monitoring productivity; ensuring the Unit’s administrative tasks are performed satisfactorily and in a timely manner; ensuring computer-assisted translation (CAT) tools are used to their full advantage;
- maintaining and strengthening the Unit’s efficiency, team spirit and cooperation, including through training and performance management; working with staff in the other translation units and other CLD services;
- participating in the establishment and implementation of common quality control procedures for outsourced work and the functioning of the documentation and content management system;
- performing such other duties as may be assigned.
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in languages, translation or a closely related field.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible and relevant professional work experience in the field of translation.
- Relevant experience acquired in an international organization.
Skills & Competencies
- Proven skills in administration and the management of financial and human resources, delivering on business needs while remaining mindful of the needs of clients.
- Proven ability to lead, manage and motivate staff and teams in a multicultural environment.
- Strong IT skills: good knowledge of language technologies and of computer-assisted translation (CAT) tools and ability to keep abreast of technology developments in the field.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively, excellent coordination and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent knowledge of Arabic (principal language) in addition to excellent knowledge of English or French and good knowledge of the other.
- At least five (5) years of work experience gained in an agency of the United Nations system.
Skills & Competencies
- Knowledge of, and commitment to, UNESCO’s mandate, vision, strategic direction and priorities.
- Familiarity with the work and general functioning of international organizations and/or the United Nations system in general, and of UNESCO in particular.
- Knowledge of other official UNESCO languages (Chinese, Russian or Spanish).
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
The approximate annual starting salary for this post is 126 657 US $.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States (last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: