Media Adviser to Secretary General
Oslo | Norway
Do you want to help change the system to ensure the rights of people forced to flee are respected? We are looking for a creative and experienced media professional to join NRC’s Advocacy and Media Section as Media Adviser to the Secretary General, and work with colleagues throughout the organisation to accelerate our advocacy and media work in the service of the millions of people displaced around the world.
What you will do
You will report to the Director for Advocacy and Media and work closely with the Secretary General, in close coordination with the rest of the Advocacy and Media Section, regional and country level advocacy and media staff, representative offices, and global field operations.
Some of your specific duties include:
- Responsible for communications and media support to the Secretary-General in particular, and to other NRC management as needed, to further NRC’s advocacy objectives.
- Develop and support the implementation of the Secretary General’s media strategy.
- Manage and support media work for high-level trips by the Secretary-General in the field.
- Contribute to building the Secretary General’s profile and relationships with key media personalities and journalists.
- Initiate, draft, and pitch communications and media products on behalf of the Secretary-General, including opinion pieces, and manage social media content.
- Initiate, draft and edit media products, including press releases, statements, and talking points, to raise broad public awareness of humanitarian issues and NRC’s work and further advocacy objectives.
- Provide ongoing support and capacity building to country and regional offices to design media strategies, gather content and develop products, as well as surge capacity in emergencies.
- Act as a media spokesperson for NRC on relevant issues as needed and manage interviews for other relevant staff.
As our ideal candidate, you will have the following:
- Relevant university degree and minimum 5 years of relevant professional experience in media, communication, journalism, or similar
- Strong knowledge and understanding of the humanitarian sector, both policy and practice
- Professional knowledge and understanding of the use of media and communication for public advocacy
- Proven coordination, networking, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Experience with training and capacity building
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English (Norwegian and other languages is an asset)
- Experience representing an NGO, donor, or UN agency.
We know that you are curious and would like to learn more about this role; please click here to access the full Job Description.
What makes this position attractive?
- A challenging and exciting opportunity with an international team dedicated to advocating for the rights of people forced to flee.
- A chance to develop and support the implementation of the Secretary General’s media strategy;
- Salary and benefits according to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions in Oslo – Norway.
We are also looking for people who share our values:
- To be dedicated to what we do;
- To be innovative with our solutions;
- To act as one unified and inclusive team;
- To be accountable to the donors that make our work possible; the beneficiaries that we exist to serve; and to each other… the members of our NRC family.
We will be assessing candidates on an ongoing basis; therefore, early applications are recommended.