Senior Business Intelligence Data Analyst
ABOUT MASTERCARD FOUNDATION
Mastercard Foundation seeks a world where everyone has the opportunity to learn and prosper. Through its Young Africa Works strategy and Canadian EleV program, the Foundation works with partners to ensure that millions of young people, especially young women, access quality education, financial services, and dignified work. Mastercard Foundation was established in 2006 through the generosity of Mastercard when it became a public company. The Foundation is independent with its own Board of Directors and CEO.
THE WORK AT THE FOUNDATION
The Foundation has begun working within Canada in partnership with Indigenous communities and post-secondary institutions to listen, learn, and best understand how we can act in meaningful ways. The EleV strategy was co-created with Indigenous communities, young people, and partners to enable 30,000 Indigenous youth to complete their education and transition to dignified work aligned with their values and aspirations.
As reflected in Canada’s Truth and Reconciliation Commission Calls to Action, education is a key driver of improved socio-economic well-being. Through building partnerships with Indigenous communities, we look to expand our initiative ultimately helping to support a generation of transformative Indigenous young leaders who will be change agents within their communities. We believe that by setting a bold target, we will encourage engagement across sectors and create momentum that will elevate the strengths and opportunities of Indigenous youth. In keeping with our approach, Indigenous communities and young people will be the drivers of this transformation. The program will promote innovations to address longer-term systemic change to achieve economic prosperity and social well-being within Indigenous communities.
The EleV team oversees current and emerging partnerships related to Indigenous education. Consistent with our overall vision and Youth Africa Works strategy, we will share learnings and opportunities to connect across the work of the Foundation. While operating in distinct contexts, the centrality of youth voice and vision, affirmation of culture and identity, and priority to enhance community capacity for self-determination are common threads upon which our work is strengthened and reinforced.
UNDERSTANDING AFRICA PROGRAMS AT THE FOUNDATION
We have entered a very exciting time at the Foundation as we scale up our operations across Africa to realize our Young Africa Works strategy. Our role at the Mastercard Foundation is to be a catalyst. Our Young Africa Works strategy focuses on working with others to spur systemic change so young people have the opportunity to find work that is dignified and fulfilling.
The Foundation has opened offices in Rwanda, Kenya, Ghana, Senegal, Ethiopia, Nigeria, and Uganda, building a broader leadership presence in Africa to develop specific strategies that support youth employment. Within a country, we work with governments, the private sector, educators, young people, and other funders to improve the quality of education and vocational training, prepare young people for the work force, expand access to financial services for entrepreneurs and small businesses, and connect job seekers to dignified and fulfilling work.
We are ambitious and driven. Our values transcend and rise above everything else as our guide. We encourage you to bring your bold ideas, curiosity, and expertise to your work. We laugh at ourselves and with each other. We are a team. Our journey together makes our impact even more meaningful.
If you are an experienced BI Data professional looking to increase your impact, read on!
Reporting to the Business Intelligence Operations Lead, the role will be responsible for executing reporting and data requests by pulling, structuring, analyzing, and organizing data outputs.
WAYS YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE
- Conduct basic data analytics as necessary for reports and internal needs.
- Collate, structure, and enable integration of multiple different types of data sets for analyses.
- Provide ad hoc support for data analytics requests (e.g., aggregation, disaggregation, pivot tables).
- Monitor and maintain data for quality, completeness, and structure for optimal utilization.
- Maintain knowledge of what data the Foundation has and where / how it is stored.
- Maintain knowledge of relevant external data sources that are most heavily utilized by the Foundation (e.g., where to go to retrieve, limitations and characteristics of the data, periodicity of updates, levels of quality, etc.).
- Ensure adherence to data dictionary, definitions, and governance protocols.
- Engage with counterparts in functional teams (e.g., Programs, Impact, Finance, IT, KM) to ensure on-going robust data quality control and intake.
- Maintain data privacy standards and protocols.
- Manage data equity issues necessary (e.g., addressing data biases, data ownership, collection methods.
- Determine protocols and infrastructure necessary for data collection, validation, storage, structure, retrieval and utilization to help build out the function.
- Assess business questions and develop prototypes of the front-end solutions to fit each business question & ensure efficient performance of the solution.
- Create data transformation list for each of the visualization and work with the BI Back-End Developer to decide where to execute the said transformations (back-end or front-end) and develop the solution accordingly.
- Advise on the ETL (Extraction, Transforming, Loading) data process required to reach user-defined objectives in visualizations.
- Develop the visualizations using pre-aligned set of tools.
- Automating data ingestion processes.
- Enhance data sets by creating automated match rules.
- Automating data pre-processing, cleansing and verifying the integrity.
- Optimizing Big Data system performance for data pre-processing and Machine Learning algorithms running, including code optimization, Map/Reduce fine tuning, etc.
- Analyse, plan and develop requirements and standards in reference to scheduled projects.
- Establishes and implements project communication plans, providing status updates to affected staff and stakeholders.
- Managing change requests from the users and managing the versioning / release schedule of the solution.
- Monitoring the solution usage.
- Engage with requestor(s) to refine understanding of the business needs underlying BI requests and tailor outputs to meet needs, iterating as necessary.
- Champion the use of data and improve data literacy through education of Foundation staff.
- Provide support to program team with external data collection activities from time to time if necessary.
WHO YOU ARE
- Bachelor’s degree in Data science, data analytics, social sciences is required.
- Strong comfort with, and experience in, retrieving, structuring, analyzing, and visualizing data across most well-establish data analytics platforms (e.g., Tableau, PowerBI, R, Advanced Excel).
- Familiarity with complex data structures and tasks, procedures, processes to maintain.
- Experience monitoring and maintaining data quality utilizing best practices.
- Familiarity with most common modes of preparing and presenting data insights (e.g., PPT, Word, e-mail, SharePoint).
- Experience driving adoption of BI tools.
- Demonstrated full toolkit of data management and analytics (e.g., cleaning, structuring, validating, correlations, regressions, statistical analyses, advanced analytics).
- Ability to work with complex data sets and understand how to transform and combine disparate data to enable effective analytics.
- Ability to translate data insights and outputs into appropriate, consumable formats (e.g., PowerPoint, Word, e-mails, SharePoint, Prezi).
- Ability to retrieve data from data warehouses using SQL queries.
- Ability to business partner with requestors to clarify substance of requests; act with a “Service mindset,” and strive to become a trusted partner’’.
- Understand use case methodologies, how data insights are utilized by different audience, nuances of how to prepare and present data outputs for different uses.
- Ability to flexibly engage other analytics capabilities within the org (e.g., Impact) and outside the org (e.g., Impact Partner Organizations) to execute against co-owned deliverables.
- Self-directed and requires minimal guidance to produce most on-going reporting, data analytics, and visualization outputs.
- Resilience and flexibility to maintain productivity through shifting priorities, parameters, rapidly changing context, and across time zones and geographies.
- Resilience and persistence to ask the right questions, clarify requests, and iterate as necessary to provide the right outputs.
- Solid judgment on prioritizing requests and seeking guidance when appropriate.
- Listening actively to understand needs and provide constructive/receive feedback.
- Aptitude for and keen interest in learning new information design and communication technology.
- Resilient, intrapreneurial and flexible mindset comfortable working in a dynamic and ambiguous environment.
- Strong self-direction balanced with collaborative and creative approach.
- Meticulous detail-orientation and track record of delivering timely results under pressure.
- Service mindset for responsiveness to requests and striving towards becoming trusted business partners to drive common Foundation goals.
- Exceptional communication skills to support a culture of change.
- Professional maturity, cultural sensitivity, impeccable integrity in alignment to Foundation mission and values.
- Demonstrate a commitment to Mastercard Foundation’s values and vision.
Deadline for Applications is August 22, 2022.
The Mastercard Foundation values the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the organization and we are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone.
Completion of satisfactory business references and background checks are essential conditions of employment.
For more information and to sign up for the Foundation’s newsletter, please visit http://www.mastercardfdn.org/
Follow the Foundation on Twitter at @MastercardFdn
NB: To avoid missing email communication about your application, please check your spam/junk folder and mark our emails as "not junk".