Country Office Accountant
ABOUT MASTERCARD FOUNDATION
Mastercard Foundation seeks a world where everyone has the opportunity to learn and prosper. Through its Young Africa Works strategy and Canadian EleV program, the Foundation works with partners to ensure that millions of young people, especially young women, access quality education, financial services, and dignified work. Mastercard Foundation was established in 2006 through the generosity of Mastercard when it became a public company. The Foundation is independent with its own Board of Directors and CEO.
THE WORK AT THE FOUNDATION
We have entered a very exciting time at the Foundation as we scale up our operations across Africa to realize our Young Africa Works strategy. Our role at the Mastercard Foundation is to be a catalyst. Our Young Africa Works strategy focuses on working with others to spur systemic change so young people have the opportunity to find work that is dignified and fulfilling.
The Foundation has opened offices in Rwanda, Kenya, Ghana, Senegal, Ethiopia, Nigeria, and Uganda, building a broader leadership presence in Africa to develop specific strategies that support youth employment. Within a country, we work with governments, the private sector, educators, young people, and other funders to improve the quality of education and vocational training, prepare young people for the work force, expand access to financial services for entrepreneurs and small businesses, and connect job seekers to dignified and fulfilling work.
We are ambitious and driven. Our values transcend and rise above everything else as our guide. We encourage you to bring your bold ideas, curiosity, and expertise to your work. We laugh at ourselves and with each other. We are a team. Our journey together makes our impact even more meaningful.
UNDERSTANDING CANADA PROGRAMS AT THE FOUNDATION
The Foundation has begun working within Canada in partnership with Indigenous communities and post-secondary institutions to listen, learn, and best understand how we can act in meaningful ways. The EleV strategy was co-created with Indigenous communities, young people, and partners to enable 30,000 Indigenous youth to complete their education and transition to dignified work aligned with their values and aspirations.
As reflected in Canada’s Truth and Reconciliation Commission Calls to Action, education is a key driver of improved socio-economic well-being. Through building partnerships with Indigenous communities, we look to expand our initiative ultimately helping to support a generation of transformative Indigenous young leaders who will be change agents within their communities. We believe that by setting a bold target, we will encourage engagement across sectors and create momentum that will elevate the strengths and opportunities of Indigenous youth. In keeping with our approach, Indigenous communities and young people will be the drivers of this transformation. The program will promote innovations to address longer-term systemic change to achieve economic prosperity and social well-being within Indigenous communities.
The EleV team oversees current and emerging partnerships related to Indigenous education. Consistent with our overall vision and Youth Africa Works strategy, we will share learnings and opportunities to connect across the work of the Foundation. While operating in distinct contexts, the centrality of youth voice and vision, affirmation of culture and identity, and priority to enhance community capacity for self-determination are common threads upon which our work is strengthened and reinforced.
If you are an experienced Accountants professional looking to increase your impact, read on!
Reporting to the Accounting Lead, Africa, the Country office Accountant is part of the Shared Services Team and is responsible for providing accounting support to the country office to ensure smooth country office operations and that there are no service and utility interruptions owing to accounting operations processes. This role also assists in management of local stakeholder relations management including that with vendors, services providers, and Regulatory bodies.
WAYS YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE
- Petty cash management and reconciliations.
- Keep up-to-date country office contracts register including related payments reconciliation and liaising with relevant stakeholders for timely renewals.
- Support management of critical vendors ensuring payments are done timely and any disputes resolved proactively.
- Support the procurement to pay processes at the Country office for events and country office operations.
- Facilitate timely payments by ensuring validity of invoices, completeness of support documentation and responds promptly to all payment queries.
- Support transactional taxes accounting including but not limited to preparation of VAT claims schedules and Withholding Tax computation and submission on monthly basis.
- Support the Facilities team with the annual office inventories verification process.
- Monitor Country Office recurrent expenditure payments ensuring timely submission of invoices including keeping an accurate record of all prepayments/ deposits held by vendors.
- Is the go-to person for all accounting related processes at country level, redirecting and escalating as necessary.
- Support internal and external audits by processing requested documents and information.
- Support the development and implementation of new processes and internal control policies, adheres to all policies and processes.
- Support training of new country office staff on accounting policies and procedures.
- Effectively utilizes technology to improve efficiency of the accounting team’s processes and heightened awareness of cybersecurity.
- Effective contributor to all Team Goals and deliverables.
- Provides high standard of customer service to all stakeholders.
- Any other Tasks as maybe required from time to time.
WHO YOU ARE
- Part-qualified Accountant working towards CPA or ACCA Qualification.
- Qualified Accountant- CPA or ACCA will be an added advantage.
- 4-6 years in similar role.
- Solid understanding of accounting and internal controls.
- Microsoft Office, SharePoint.
- Great Plains and/or concur would be an asset.
- Excellent organizational skills and a high level of attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and manage competing priorities.
- Demonstrates maturity and sensitivity when working within various cultures.
- Results-driven and able to set and achieve clear objectives and deadlines.
- Flexible, intellectually curious and open. This individual is comfortable with ambiguity, receptive to new ideas and willing to adapt when presented with better options.
- A person who can formulate and develop a new or creative approach to a problem and inspires others on the team to do so as well.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with a variety of constituencies, as well as work effectively in a collegial manner in a team-based environment.
- Ability to share information across the organization with non-finance colleagues.
- Impeccable integrity.
- Flexible, adaptable, and able to execute a range of job duties and changing priorities.
- Possess excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills with the ability to articulate information to a variety of constituents across cultures.
- Possess professional maturity, sensitivity with different cultures, and impeccable integrity that exemplify the Foundation’s values.
- Demonstrate a commitment to Mastercard Foundation’s values and vision.
Deadline for Applications is August 22, 2022.
The Mastercard Foundation values the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the organization and we are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone.
Completion of satisfactory business references and background checks are essential conditions of employment.
For more information and to sign up for the Foundation’s newsletter, please visit http://www.mastercardfdn.org/
Follow the Foundation on Twitter at @MastercardFdn
NB: To avoid missing email communication about your application, please check your spam/junk folder and mark our emails as "not junk".