Liberia Advocacy Consultant
Proposals should be submitted by email to Camille Phillips at [email protected] no later than Monday, August 1, 2022.
This position is open to National and International candidates.
Position: One (1)
Location: Monrovia, Liberia
Background and Project Details
Working in close partnership with the Ministry of Health (MOH) of Liberia, Last Mile Health (LMH) is supporting the government to strengthen national community health policies and services. Through the development and realization of a national community health advocacy strategy, Last Mile Health aims to support the MOH to (1) increase understanding and coordination of financial and human resource needs, (2) strengthen understanding in coordinating the allocation and resource utilization across all programs implementing community health services, including in public health emergencies, and (3) support resource mobilization and policy revision to enable future improvements in integrated community health delivery;.
Reporting to the Director of National Community Health Systems (NCHS), the Advocacy Consultant (with support from LMH’s global advocacy team) will work with the Ministry of Health community health section to seek technical support, review and approval of deliverables indicated below. The consultant will provide leadership and management for the design and execution of the following workstreams: (1) advocacy stakeholder mapping, (2) advocacy strategy development, (3) and drafting of communication materials to support the implementation of advocacy activities.
This is an in-person assignment with a duration of 4 months.
The consultant will
- Weekly, work with the Director of National Community Health Systems to coordinate and draw Technical Assistance in the process.
- Physically be in the office for a total of 8 days to work with the Director and Supervisor to discuss progress on the assignment, discuss deliverables, and address any challenges. (2 days for land scale analysis, 4 days for advocacy strategy, and 2 days for communication materials.)
Scope of Work
The Advocacy Consultant is expected to provide support to the Liberia Country Team. In addition to taking part in key organizational meetings, and meetings with MOH’s Technical Working Groups, the consultant will work on the following deliverables:
Deliverable 1: Advocacy Landscape Analysis
The analysis should include:
- The Context: Review reports and conduct desk research on Liberia’s community health advocacy, broader policy landscape, policy priorities on health financing, recommendations from the USAID CHA project, and previous health financing programs.
- Stakeholder mapping: name actors that need to be influenced and their support/opposition to community health programming - especially in financing and Human Resources for Health.
- Windows of opportunity: Identify current and future windows of opportunity that can be leveraged for effective advocacy programming initiatives, including convenings, budget cycles, legislative agendas and more, at national, regional and district levels.
Output: Report on advocacy landscape analysis: Policy landscape, key policy recommendations and the context (15-20 Slides)
Due by August 30th, 2022
Deliverable 2: Advocacy Strategy
Lead drafting through finalization of a policy advocacy strategy to support MOH Liberia policy agenda, MOH resource mobilization, and the policy revision to improve Community Health service delivery in Liberia. Process:
- Participate in a 5-day advocacy strategy development workshop led by MOH and the Liberia LMH team. Output: Draft advocacy strategy.
- Organize meetings with critical stakeholders to input and review the draft strategy.
- Collaborate with the Ministry of Health’s Community Health Service Division to finalize the draft strategy, drawing from the content generated during the workshop and meetings with critical stakeholders.
- with the CHSD, hold a validation workshop with Community Health Technical Working Group (TWG) members and other partners to review the strategy.
- Work with MOH to finalize with input from the Validation workshop before final approval from the MOH.
- The advocacy strategy will draw from the landscape analysis above, and health financing interventions and experiences from the USAID project.
- The strategy should include 1. Background, 2. The context, 3. Advocacy goals and objectives, 4. Targets, 5. Messages, messengers, and tactics, 6. Activity plan, 7. Resource mapping and assets, 8. Monitoring and Evaluation plan.
Output: MOH Liberia Advocacy Strategy for the National Community Health Program
Due by November 30th, 2022
Deliverable 3: Advocacy Communication on Materials
Develop advocacy materials to support the launch and engagement of stakeholders on the strategy. The tools will include:
- Review the Community Health - Health Finance Advocacy Booklet
- National Community Health Policy brief
- Slide deck on Advocacy strategy (10-15) pages max
NB: The consultant will share the tools for feedback, incorporate feedback into the tools and ensure MOH approval of the final materials.
Output: Approved advocacy communication materials above
Due by October 28th, 2022
The total budget ceiling available for this work is $10,400 at a rate of $200 per day for 45 days, plus $1400 for transportation, airtime, and data for the internet during the four months.
Deliverable Payment: will be made upon completion of each deliverable.
Transportation: A total of 200 USD will be paid in transportation per month, for the four months, this will be totaling to $800.
Airtime and Data for the Internet: Monthly Airtime and data for the internet. A total of $150, will be paid to the consultant per month which will amount to $600 for the 4 months.
An ideal candidate will:
- Currently be based in Liberia or be in Liberia at their own expense during the period of contract
- Have a bachelor’s or master’s degree in Public Health, Social Sciences, Development Studies, or Health Economics
- Have over 7 years of professional work experience in health policy advocacy campaigns, and applied research, especially in health financing, advocacy strategy development, and execution, and/or materials development and testing.
- Demonstrate ability to develop landscape analysis, and experience in writing policy documents, advocacy, and strategy documents.
- Possess previous experience and knowledge of national and county-level government financing policies, procedures, and systems in resource-limited settings including costing tools and resource mapping tools, cost-effectiveness analyses
- Have experience in working with the Ministry of Health, and other line ministries including Finance and other implementing partners
- Have previous experience and knowledge working with major donors to global health such as USAID, Global Fund, World Bank, GAVI
Proposals should include the following:
- Your approach to completing the tasks described above including a time-bound work plan and budget
- Resume or CV
- Three references
- A sample of at least one of your products in line with any of the deliverables above.
Proposals should be submitted by email to Camille Phillips at [email protected] no later than Monday August 1, 2022.
About Last Mile Health
Last Mile Health partners with governments to design, scale, strengthen, and sustain high-quality community health systems, which empower teams of community and frontline health workers to bring life-saving primary healthcare to the world’s most remote communities. LMH is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization with offices in Liberia, Malawi, Boston, and New York. For more information, visit www.lastmilehealth.org.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at LMH. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.