Kazakhstan: Program Manager
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Program Manager will oversee logistical support and implementation of project activities in two countries, and will manage the overall communication on the project in Kazakhstan (KZ). The Program Manager will be responsible for ensuring the project meets its objectives in KZ outlined in the project design, as well as for collaboration between the project team and partner organizations and beneficiaries in Kazakhstan.
Internews has a local office in Almaty, Kazakhstan which supports a hybrid workforce with staff working remotely, fully in-office or partially remote. Ultimately this position may work remotely from Kazakhstan, partially remote from our Almaty office, or fully in-office for candidates based in the Almaty area.
Wherever possible, we work to try to find solutions for international hiring that work for both the company and the candidate. This means that some of the particulars around the offer for a role will be dependent on several factors, and that the benefits and salary structure that apply to a position will ultimately be based upon the candidate’s location and where the role is hired
Note: Hiring is contingent upon receipt of funding.
This is a limited term position with an anticipated end date in February 2024.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so candidates should apply soon.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
- Provide programmatic, administrative, and logistical management for all project-supported activities that take place in country, as well as oversight of project coordination in Tajikistan. Potential duties may include identifying and maintaining contact with local media outlets, journalists, and representatives of religious groups, liaising with beneficiaries, event speakers, trainers, and participants; collaborating with project staff in other countries on joint events or content production/promotion, including production of project manuals/handbooks; and other responsibilities.
- Manage project communication and coordination between the Tajikistan country team and the Kazakhstan team.
- Coordinate hiring and travel logistics for trainers, consultants, and event participants in conjunction with the Project Assistant. Duties may include assisting with local visa applications, travel and accommodations arrangements, collecting and drafting hiring materials, etc.
- Work creatively with the project team and participants/beneficiaries to develop content ideas and ensure participants remain active and engaged in the project.
- Develop and maintain relationships with religious communities in Kazakhstan to ensure their understanding of, input into, and participation in the project.
- Provide internal monthly project progress reports on all project activities conducted in Kazakhstan and review internal reports on activities conducted in Tajikistan.
- Draft quarterly program reports with inputs from the team; review and edit all program reports for the project, working with team members and partners based both in Tajikistan and Kazakhstan to include the most relevant impact data and illustrative examples; solicit, draft, and edit success stories for publication on Internews and partners’ websites.
- Lead communication with Internews’ Headquarters offices and the Donor.
- Lead on all visibility actions of the project activities in Kazakhstan.
- Lead weekly project coordination calls and ad-hoc calls as needed with the Country Directors on progress of project implementation.
- Lead monitoring of project activities and results in Kazakhstan, including collaborating with grant recipients, with support from the Regional M&E Specialist and HQ.
- Support the Country Director in relationship management with donors as required through reporting, liaison and communications and maintain an accurate record of donor correspondence.
- Contribute as necessary to strengthening the skills of Internews staff, media partners and journalist trainees through mentoring activities.
- Organize and attend stakeholder meetings when required to represent the project, preparing necessary presentation materials.
- Document and follow up on important actions and decisions from meetings with project managers and stakeholders.
- Ensure that all documentation is maintained appropriately for each coordinated project activity.
- Keep abreast of the media situation and religious freedom issues in the country (and region).
- Determine and report on any changes or challenges related to scheduled project activities.
- Assess project risks and issues and provide solutions where applicable.
- Act in accordance with Internews policies adhering to Internews mission and core values.
- Assist in other responsibilities/activities to facilitate the smooth operation of Internews in Kazakhstan and implementation of the “Supporting Coverage and Advancement of Religious Freedom” project.
- Other duties as required.
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews' Core Values.
- At least five years progressively senior development working on development projects, preferably in the media field.
- At least three years of successful experience in project management.
- Relevant university degree
- Experience and familiarity with USG rules and regulations
- Deep understanding of cross-cultural concerns in working with people across the world
- Experience with democracy, human rights and governance field
- Superior analytical and writing ability
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Experience preparing expense reports and budgets
- Willingness to learn and adopt secure communication tools
- Proven organizational skills, with exceptional attention to detail
- Professional-level fluency in English, Russian and Kazakh
- Knowledge of the media environment in Kazakhstan and the Central Asia region
Note: Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but are interested and willing to learn, are encouraged to apply.
- Experience working with government partners, international NGOs and media field
- Understanding of the diversity of religious communities in Kazakhstan and the region
To apply, please submit CV and optionally a cover letter via our Careers page.