Regional Protection Adviser Central & Eastern Europe
NRC Poland was established in March 2022 in response to the Ukraine crisis and to provide humanitarian assistance to refugees fleeing the war in Ukraine. Equally NRC started operations in Romania and Moldova, as well as is scaling up its humanitarian response in Ukraine where it has been operational since 2014. Following the escalation of the conflict from 24 February 2022, NRC has scaled up humanitarian assistance inside Ukraine and in neighbouring countries to provide aid to people forced to flee, and others affected by the conflict.
We are seeking a highly qualified, resilient and dynamic protection professional to provide support to our teams working to respond to the Ukraine crisis, with experience in capacity development approaches. Based in the Central and Eastern Europe Regional Office, the Regional Protection Advisor will have overall responsibility for the implementation of the protection from violence core competency, policy, guidelines and technical developments in the region.
You will lead strategic thinking on protection from violence and site management/UDOC, with a particular focus on ensuring that our in-country programming is considerate of the diverse protection needs that are a consequence of the Ukraine conflict. A knowledge of urban displacement outside of camps (UDOC), community safety and violence prevention and individual protection services will be key to your success in this role.
Your thought leadership will be key, both internally in ensuring protection thinking within regional strategic and programmatic decision-making, and externally representing NRC to influence the humanitarian community to invest in both specialised protection and deliberately contribute to collective protection outcomes.
Below is a summary responsibilities, please download Job Description for further details.
- Ensure compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Provide strategic advice and technical support to the Country Offices in the region on relevant protection core competency and relevant integrated programming
- Advise on the development of country/regional core competence strategies, macro logframes and implementation plans
- Advise on and monitor country programme compliance with the Programme Policy and respective quality assurances
- Contribute to the development of policies, strategies, tools and new approaches, and support relevant innovation and piloting
- Ensure that best practices are identified, documented and disseminated both within the region and beyond
- Provide capacity development across Country Offices in the region and the Regional Office
- Identify and develop regional advocacy issues related to the core competence and relevant cross cutting issues
- Contribute to global programme development projects and manage regional programme development projects
- Build relationships with key stakeholders at a strategic level and represent NRC in policy and coordination fora at regional and global level and engage in fundraising
Skills & Experience
- Minimum 8 years’ experience relevant professional experience as a manager within the humanitarian field, including experience of working in both direct implementation and advisory roles
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented/proven results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal. Fluency in one or more languages spoken in the region would also be an advantage
- Experience in Humanitarian Protection, including protection of civilians, protection case management and protection cluster coordination
- Experience in protection monitoring and analysis
- Previous experience working in Central and Eastern Europe region preferred
Your passion, skills, and experience can make a big difference. This mission would be a start-up in a challenging, emergency context in Europe.
What We Offer
- Duty Station: Warsaw (Poland).
- Contract: 24 months, 40% travel across region.
- NRC’s Salary Scale: NRC offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.
- Start date: Immediately.
NRC is very grateful to those who have responded thus far and continue to heed to our calls for support. This is going a long way in addressing the diverse needs, priorities, and concerns currently affecting the people of Ukraine.
Applications will be reviewed on ongoing basis. Due to large response, NRC will not provide feedback to those candidates who do not meet criteria and/or not follow the application process.