Senior Media Officer
Senior Media Officer
£34,299 - £36,000 depending on experience
Excellent benefits including 28 days holiday and flexible working
How to Apply: To see the full job pack, please click 'Apply'. Please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in one document in either Word Document or PDF format.
Closing Date: Applications will close 23:59 on 19 August. Availability for interview is required in the w /c 22 August 2022.
From responding to breaking news such as flooding in Bangladesh or the heatwave in the UK, to delivering pro-active data driven news stories about period poverty or groundwater, the role of a Senior Media Officer at WaterAid is varied and exciting.
If you have sound news judgement, excellent writing skills and are passionate about making a difference to people's lives across the globe, this could be the role for you.
You will ideally have newsroom or busy press office experience, work well under pressure, and be full of creative media ideas. As a news driven, ambitious Senior Media Officer, you will lead on a wide range of media activities including timely statements, ground-breaking research, key policy and advocacy moments, fundraising appeals and UK events.
You will also work on projects with celebrity ambassadors, corporate partners and staff from across WaterAid's global federation - all in support of WaterAid's mission to change normal for millions of people living without water, decent toilets and good hygiene so they can unlock their potential, break free from poverty and change their lives for good.
On top of that, you'll be joining a 2020 Great Place to Work® award-winning organisation. We offer a friendly and collaborative work environment, great facilities at our Canary Wharf office, and the opportunity to regularly work from home for up to three days a week. This is a full-time role and international may be required from time to time.
You will drive, develop and implement proactive and reactive media strategies to achieve organisational communications objectives, including increasing awareness of the global water and sanitation crisis as well as our work around the world and our policy, fundraising and campaigning activities.
You will also:
* Advise WaterAid staff up to the Chief Executive.
* Build and maintain excellent relationships with relevant journalists.
* Build on and maintain excellent relationships with teams across the organisation and in countries where we work.
* Help drive WaterAid's online media work and engage with bloggers, online journalists and social media influencers.
* Write copy as required for print and web outlets, in-house or external.
* Evaluate and report back on key campaigns to the team and rest of the organisation
* Brief journalists on and off the record, arrange radio and TV interviews where necessary and brief staff in preparation.
* Monitor and evaluate media coverage and make recommendations to managers.
* Join the 24/7 on-call rota
To be successful, you will need:
* Proven experience of working in a busy press office or as a journalist.
* Experience of liaising with journalists of all levels
* Proven ability to devise and implement proactive campaigns or equivalent high-profile work as a journalist.
* Creativity and tenacity.
* Excellent command of written English to produce high quality media material.
* Excellent understanding and working knowledge of online media
* Ability to handle multiple projects and a variety of work simultaneously
- 36 days holiday (including 8 UK Bank Holidays)
- Option to buy an extra 5 days annual leave
- We offer a generous pension plan with employer contribution of up to 10%
- Wide range of flexible and agile-working arrangements
- Enhanced Maternity and Adoption/Surrogacy pay, Shared Parental Leave and Paternity Leave.
- Volunteer Day
- Season Ticket Loan
- Free annual eye tests
- Pay as You Give charitable giving scheme
WaterAid is located at Canary Wharf, London and this will be your location and contract base. We support and enjoy a hybrid working environment, this includes regular attendance in the London office to connect with each other. We look forward to discussing with you how you can best deliver in your new role.
We are unable to provide sponsorship for this post. In order to apply for this post, you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in the UK.
WaterAid is committed to ensuring that wherever we work in the world there is no tolerance for the abuse of power, privilege or trust. WaterAid reinforces a culture of zero tolerance towards any form of inappropriate behaviour, abuse, harassment, or exploitation of any kind. The safeguarding of our beneficiaries, staff, volunteers and anyone working on our behalf, is our top priority and we take our responsibilities extremely seriously. All staff and volunteers are required to share in this commitment through our Global Code of Conduct. We will conduct the most appropriate pre-employment references and checks to ensure high standards are maintained.
WaterAid is an equal opportunities, disability-confident employer and committed to achieving the highest standards of diversity, fairness and equality. Should you have a disability and require any additional support, please contact us at [email protected]