Translation Support Co-ordinator
The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) is an international organisation comprised of 38 member countries, that works to build better policies for better lives. Our mission is to promote policies that will improve the economic and social well-being of people around the world. Together with governments, policy makers and citizens, we work on establishing evidence-based international standards, and finding solutions to a range of social, economic and environmental challenges. From improving economic performance and creating jobs to fostering strong education and fighting international tax evasion, we provide a unique forum and knowledge hub for data and analysis, exchange of experiences, best-practice sharing, and advice on public policies and international standard-setting.
Within the OECD's Executive Directorate (EXD), the Conference, Security and Infrastructure Service (EXD/CSI) is responsible in particular for conference services, interpretation and translation services, security of OECD staff, delegates and visitors and the management and operation of OECD buildings, including fire safety, in Paris and at OECD Centres abroad. Within EXD/CSI, the Translation Division (EXD/CSI/TRA) provides translations into official (French and English) and non-official languages for OECD official documents and publications and other language-related activities, such as terminology.
The German Section of the Translation Division (SLA) is looking for a Translation Support Co-ordinator who will be responsible for managing the Section’s translation and digital tools, including the provision of training and technical support. The selected candidate will report to the Publications and Office Manager.
Translation and Digital Tool Management
- Act as lead contact for Computer-Assisted Translation (CAT) tools RWS Trados Studio and Multiterm as well as for the Section’s workflow and translation management tool (AVS).
- Provide internal support and training to colleagues on use of translation and workflow management tools, best practices, and new software features.
- Co-ordinate technical support for translation and workflow management tools, providing first level support as needed; liaise with external technical support and the Digital, Knowledge and Information Service (EXD/DKI) as required.
- For RWS Trados Studio and Multiterm, keep abreast of technical developments, review and evaluate commercial packages in alignment with the Section’s needs and ensure implementation accordingly.
- For the translation management tool, keep abreast of technical developments and ensure implementation accordingly.
- Generate reports on the Section’s activities and output using the workflow and translation management tool.
- Attend conferences and workshops to share experiences and best practices with external users (e.g. colleagues from German Federal Ministries) and develop relationships enabling the Section to optimise its translation tools.
Neural Machine Translation (NMT)
- Support the Section’s ongoing neural machine translation (NMT) project through the testing and evaluation of NMT solutions.
- Participate in workshops in order to keep abreast of recent developments and liaise with internal and external subject matter experts.
- Co-ordinate in-house implementation of selected NMT solution with Digital, Knowledge and Information Service (EXD/DKI).
- Provide guidance and technical support on the Section’s NMT tools to colleagues.
- Assist with preparing the layout of finalised translations for publication using desktop publishing tools, as required.
- Proofread translated texts (generally from English to German) as required.
- Replace team members during their absences as required.
Ideal Candidate Profile
- Post-secondary level of education.
- University degree in languages, communications or a closely related field would be an advantage.
- At least three years’ experience in a technical support and/or project management role, preferably in an international environment.
- Experience using and managing Computer-Assisted Translation (CAT) tools and translation management systems.
- Experience in providing IT support would be an advantage.
- Good knowledge of RWS Trados Studio, Groupshare and Multiterm or similar CAT tools.
- Knowledge of the NMT landscape would be an advantage.
- Proven ability to rapidly master new IT technologies and AI applications related to translation and publications.
- Proven knowledge of Microsoft Office (with a focus on Word and Excel).
- Knowledge of Microsoft Teams and Sharepoint would be an advantage.
- Good knowledge of desktop publishing tools (Adobe Creative Suite) would be an advantage.
- Excellent knowledge of German is essential (spelling, grammar and syntax).
- Very good knowledge of English and intermediate knowledge of French, with a commitment to reach a good working level.
- For this role, the following competencies would be particularly important\: Analytical Thinking Achievement focus, Flexible thinking, Teamwork and Team Leadership, Diplomatic Sensitivity.
- Please refer to the level 2 indicators of the OECD Core Competencies.
- Three-year fixed term appointment, with the possibility of renewal.
- Monthly base salary starting from 4,181 EUR, plus allowances based on eligibility, exempt of French income tax.
The OECD is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes the applications of all qualified candidates who are nationals of OECD member countries, irrespective of their racial or ethnic origin, opinions or beliefs, gender, sexual orientation, health or disabilities.
The OECD promotes an optimal use of resources in order to improve its efficiency and effectiveness. Staff members are encouraged to actively contribute to this goal.