Senior Typesetter and Layout Design Assistant
Vacancy no.: GENEVA/GS/2022/05
Publication date: 29 July 2022
Application deadline (midnight Geneva time): 29 August 2022
Job ID: 9008
Organization Unit: PRODOC
Contract type: Fixed Term
The recruitment process for General Service positions is subject to local recruitment regulations and Article 4.3 of the ILO Staff Regulations. The ILO may only offer a contract to persons who have a valid residency status in Switzerland or who currently reside in neighbouring France.
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the Staff Regulations.
- Other staff members with at least five years of continuous service with the Office are also eligible. They are encouraged to apply and will be given special consideration at the screening and evaluation stage.
- External candidates *
The ILO values diversity among its staff. We welcome applications from qualified women and men, including those with disabilities. If you are unable to complete our online application form due to a disability, please send an email to [email protected].
Applicants may be tested to assess skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and/or PowerPoint, or other skills. In addition to any interview or testing that may be requested of candidates, successful completion of the Assessment Centre is required for external candidates.
*Conditions of employment for external candidates: In conformity with existing ILO practice, the appointment of an external candidate will normally be made at the first step of this grade. The entry level salary for this position is 82401CHF yearly.
The position is located in the DESIGN team of the Document and Publications Production, Printing and Distribution Unit (PRODOC) within the Internal Services and Administration Department (INTSERV). INTSERV is responsible for the general management of facilities, property and inventory; safety and security; printing, publishing production and distribution; diplomatic privileges; travel and transport, use of public spaces and general internal services. PRODOC is responsible for all aspects of design, editing, proofreading, quality control, production, printing and distribution of publications at ILO headquarters, including flagship and major publications. The DESIGN team is responsible for the creative production, design layout and typesetting, and visual conceptualization of publications and related digital products such as creation of infographics, data visualization, illustration, and animation in line with ILO’s digital-first publishing policy.
The position will be responsible for typesetting a variety of print and digital publications, including ILO’s flagship and major publications, in full compliance with ILO brand guidelines and the organizational accessibility standards.
The position will report to the Publishing & Design Team Lead in DESIGN.
- Perform desktop publishing to produce a variety of print and digital publications, using relevant computer systems and software applications.
- Carry out layout and typesetting of ILO flagship, major and other important publications, including the creation and integration of tables, graphics and charts, in line with predefined design layout mock-up templates to achieve a legible and aesthetically pleasing product. Prepare mock-ups and present these to the client.
- Ensure full compliance of all produced files with the ILO brand guidelines and concordance of the different language versions. Perform branding quality control checks on selected publications.
- Adhere to the Organization’s accessibility publishing standards and stay abreast of state-of-the-art accessibility practices with a view to enhancing publications and knowledge products and making them fully accessible.
- Collaborate with authors, copy-editors and proofreaders, designers and other relevant staff to apply proof corrections and deliver final work up to organizational standards.
- Advise staff and suppliers on matters of layout and typesetting as required, act as a reference point on this subject and share knowledge as appropriate.
- Guide the work of external typesetters and perform quality control on their work.
- Upload and archive production files in the ILO publications management system and update information, as necessary.
- Coordinate the update and maintenance of specialized production software with the Information and Technology Management Department and ensure timely implementation.
- Keep up-to-date knowledge of technological tendencies and innovations in the typographic publications production field and undergo training in new software.
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
These specific duties are aligned with the relevant ILO generic job description, which includes the following generic duties:
1. Conduct research and design graphic presentations for the Organization's publications. Prepare tables of contents and apply the appropriate graphic design policies and procedures.
2. Create and design flyers, book announcements, brochures, book covers, publicity material and posters using state-of-the-art-computerized graphics software. Prepare camera-ready complete layouts.
3. Respond to queries and discuss original designs with technical units and authors, negotiating and making final decisions regarding colour, format and use of photographs.
4. Supervise staff engaged in desktop publishing, design and production activities. Provide instructions for the computer layout and photo-composition of materials.
5. Prepare camera-ready text and copy. Prepare instructions for external printers, verify that proofs have been checked and ensure the quality of materials both before and after printing, and authorize the payment of invoices for external services provided.
6. Propose new methods and graphic techniques for the design and production of publications and promotional materials.
7. Analyze and suggest new work processes in order to improve the graphic art and design capabilities of the unit.
Completion of secondary school or technical or commercial school in graphic arts, graphic design, communications, publishing, or related field.
At least seven years of experience in publications’ production, specifically desktop publishing, typesetting, graphic design and layout, digital publications’ production. Experience with multilingual typesetting of complex and lengthy publications, preferably using more than three of ILO’s official and working languages (English, French, Spanish, German, Russian, Arabic, Chinese). Experience in preparing accessible publications is an advantage. Experience working with text and content processing software (MS Word, Excel). Experience in applying corporate brand guidelines. Work experience in the ILO is considered an advantage.
Excellent command of one official language (English, French, Spanish) of the Organization and a working knowledge of a second official language of the Organization. One of these languages must be English.
Knowledge of standard industry production and printing processes, including desktop publishing, design and layout. Knowledge of digital printing practices and operations. Knowledge of photography, page layout and photograph sizing. Ability to produce high-quality graphic material. Attention to detail. A strong sense of design and colour, a familiarity with fonts and an understanding of different graphic styles. Expertise in using the Adobe CC suite for creative design of complex and text-heavy publications which include graphs, charts, photos, infographics.
Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines, and achieving results; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals.
Keeps abreast of available technology; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
A high degree of tact when dealing with both internal and external clients; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client. Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behavior and attitudes.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit the ILO Jobs website. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
Evaluation (which may include one or several written tests and a pre-interview competency-based assessment centre) and the interviews will tentatively take place during the 1 to 3 months following the application deadline. Candidates are requested to ensure their availability should they be short listed for further consideration.
The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account - @ilo.org - should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.