Individual Consultant – Technical Expert – Financial Inclusion
UNDP strives to have a workforce, which reflects diversity and gender balance, and applies an equal opportunities approach. UNDP does not solicit or screen for information in respect of HIV or AIDS status. All selections are on merit.
The DAY-NRLM (Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana - National Rural Livelihoods Mission) is the flagship program of Ministry of Rural Development, Govt. of India relaunched in 2016 for promoting poverty reduction by building strong institutions of the poor, particularly women. The programme creates and enables community owned institutions of women to empower and make them economically self-reliant by improving their agency to access a range of livelihood and financial services and maximize their resources for creating sustainable livelihood opportunities.
The state governments are mandated to set up dedicated Mission Management Units at the state, district and village/community level for the effective implementation of the NRLM scheme. The mission provides regular hand-holding support to SHG/federations for a period of 5-7 years. At the end of a fully implementation cycle the SHGs/federations are well prepared to become resource institutions at the community level for providing evidence and support to other social initiatives.
Karnataka State Rural Livelihood Promotion Society (KSRLPS)
The State Government is implementing DAY-NRLM scheme in phases through Karnataka State Rural Livelihood Promotion Society in the name of “Sanjeevini”. The mission statement of KSRLPS is: “To reduce rural poverty by providing gainful wage and self-employment opportunities through community institutions resulting in sustainable improvement in their livelihoods”.
Sanjeevini is a community driven and process-oriented programme. The processes include different activities such as awareness building, social mobilization, development of Community Resource persons (CRPs). Formation of CBOs, strengthening SHGs/ CBOs/federations/Livelihood Collectives, establishment of linkages and promotion of livelihoods. The conventional methods of monitoring focus on physical, financial and logistic aspects of projects, but do not capture the processes of community perception, satisfaction with project services, inclusion and institutional dynamics. As the community processes do not conform to pre-set rules, deadlines, targets or blueprint approaches, a responsive and adaptive implementation is necessary.
It is in this context that the State government of Karnataka has partnered with UNDP to implement The National Rural Economic Transformation Project (NRETP) in Karnataka. NRETP proposes to implement higher order economic activities which are cross cutting in nature, for instance, the project design envisages that there will be an organic link between the model Cluster Level Federation (CLFs) and financial inclusion strategies, insurance and pension schemes, producer groups and organizations, product marketing and enterprise development. The financial inclusion strategy will also have a key role in financing of farm and non-farm enterprises. UNDP will be uniquely positioned to quickly transfer the technical know-how gained at the national and state level working across the country. The state SMMU will be fully synchronized with the National level team working at the center, important for better alignment of state priorities with those of the national program while formulating the State specific poverty reduction action plans.
Under the scheme, UNDP is looking for a Technical Expert_ Financial Inclusion to undertake the activities as provided below. The incumbent will be based at KSRLPS and will perform duties under the direct supervision of MD, KSRLPS, Government of Karnataka.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Mission Director or any Other Official designated by MD the incumbent will focus on achievement of the following results:
- Prepare annual action plan for financial inclusion.
- Design a strategic Financial inclusion plan detailing approach to reach saturation.
- Adopt a sector-wide approach with a view toward building an inclusive financial sector.
- Generate business-like partnerships with partner organizations and financial institutions.
- Support Financial Service Providers (FSPs) capable of delivering well-tailored services to beneficiaries.
- Build expertise within Sanjeevini KSRLPS on good-practice in financial inclusion strategies, operations, policies, and regulations (as and when appropriate).
- Responsible for providing strategic direction to the development of an inclusive financial sector, s/he will manage day-to-day implementation of the specific programme activities in line with his/her approved annual results targets/work plans to achieve the results specified in the programme document.
- Any other task assigned by reporting officer.
Deliverables & Payment Schedules:
Deliverable target dates
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
- Has specialist knowledge in the area of financial inclusion.
- Seeks and applies knowledge, information, and best practices.
- Ability to lead strategic planning, change processes.
- Builds strong relationships with stakeholders, focuses on impact and result of the program activities and responds positively to feedback
- Cross-cultural communications, including English proficiency and ability to work in a bilingual environment (English and Kannada). Excellent verbal and writing skills in English and Kannada.
- Ability to communicate insights and knowledge across various teams and stakeholders.
- Should be interested to work with the rural poor to create a more inclusive society.
- Demonstrates ability to conceptualize issues and express ideas in a concise manner;
- Demonstrates effective written and oral communications skills;
- Excellent analytical skills in political and development matters;
- Capacity to gather comprehensive information on complex problems or situations and evaluate information accurately to meet the requirements of situational reports, briefs, speeches, etc.;
- Willing to travel extensively in the field for 10-15 days a month.
Required Skills and Experience
Post Graduation in Finance, Business administration or other relevant Master’s degree.
- At least 3+ years of experience (after post graduation) of working in a financial inclusion program design and implementation at management level, experience with collectives or Producer Companies adds value.
- Experience of working in financial inclusion campaigns, designing training content and reports at organizational level in a multi stakeholder environment.
- Demonstrable experience handling organizational level communications and outreach assignments
- Should have managerial experience leading a team of at least 2-3 members.
Fluency in English and Kannada– spoken, read and write for all official communication is essential.
Duration of The Work:
The contract will be awarded for 11 months initially. Working days will be as per the State Government/KSRLPS policy.
In case of official journey within/outside the state, candidates will be entitled to reimbursement from KSRLPS. All official travel must be authorized and certified in advance by KSRLPS.
SCHEDULE OF PAYMENTS:
Consolidated annual consultancy fees (Remuneration) of INR 7,70,000/- payable as per the deliverables and payments schedule mention above, upon submission of working progress report certified by the reporting officer.
- Contract will be administered by UNDP on behalf of the KSRLPS, Government of Karnataka.
- The consultant should report to the Mission Director, KSRLPS, or any other official as directed by MD, Sanjeevini KSRLPS Government of Karnataka.
- All the logistic support related official travel will be borne by the KSRLPS, Government of Karnataka.
- Consultant will be entitled for 2 days leave per month (non cashable) Consultant will be entitled for 2 days leave per month (non cashable). The accumulated leaves will be forfeited on the termination/further extension of the contract period.
Personal CV indicating all past experiences from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the candidate and at least 3 professional references.
Evaluation Method and criteria:
Preliminary shortlisting would be done based on the following criteria:
- Educational Qualification 30 marks.
- Relevant Experience 40 marks.
- Interview for 30 marks
Those who obtain a minimum 70% of total 70 marks (Educational Qualification & Relevant Experience) will be eligible to appear for the interview.
Interview for the shortlisted candidates would be either conducted face to face in Bangalore or by telephone/over skype.
The contract shall be awarded on the merit basis.
Note: Please ensure that all the documents to be uploaded should be combined in a single PDF file before uploading as the system has provision of uploading only one document.
General Conditions for Individual Contract-http://www.in.undp.org/content/dam/india/docs/procurement/UNDP%20General%20Conditions%20for%20Individual%20Contracts.pdf