Consultancy - Programme Consultant, Access to Justice
The International Development Law Organization (IDLO) enables governments, empowers people, and strengthens institutions to realise justice and promote peace and sustainable development. IDLO is the only global intergovernmental organisation exclusively devoted to promoting the rule of law and access to justice.
With its headquarters in Rome, Italy, a Branch Office in The Hague, Permanent Observer Missions to the United Nations in New York and Geneva, and 18 Country Offices across the globe, IDLO carries out policy advocacy, research, and the rule of law and justice programmes, operating in every region of the world.
With funding from the Government of the Netherlands, IDLO is implementing a project to promote fair and equitable access to justice for all Somalis, including vulnerable populations, through a reformed and modernised ADR system. Under the programme, IDLO supports the Ministry of Justice of the Federal Government of Somalia and the Ministries of Justice of the Federal Member States (FMS) of Somalia in the operationalisation and management of fifteen ADR Centers. IDLO also provides capacity building to the ADR staff, adjudicators (i.e. elders, religious leaders, women etc..) and justice stakeholders to improve their performance and quality of the justice delivered as well as develop efficient referral pathways in the community level.
Under the direct supervision of the IDLO Somalia Country Manager, the Programme Consultant will:
- Ensure the daily management of the ADR Programme Phase 2 in accordance with the work plan and meet the quality standards of the expected deliverables;
- Ensure regular budget management and control as well as the regular update of the financial forecasts;
- Draft quarterly donors’ reports and internal reports highlighting the outcomes and impact of the programme;
- Review the monthly reports submitted by the national counterparts providing inputs and corrections, and ensure the regular monitoring of the activities in line with the programme indicators;
- Ensure programme compliance with the Donors’ contract and IDLO policies and procedures, including preparation and review of contracts, agreements and other legal documents;
- Manage the relationship and communications with the national counterparts (Ministries of Justice) and Donors in collaboration with the Country Manager;
- Provide clear guidance to the ADR Units established in the Ministries of Justice through dialogue and mentoring, promoting effective working relationships;
- Contribute to IDLO Knowledge Management and information sharing processes on CIJ;
- In coordination with the Program Development Unit and the supervisor, generate ideas and provide substantive inputs in the development of new project proposals;
- Coordinate programme-related work with other IDLO functional units.
- Perform other similar duties as required by the supervisor.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
- Advanced university degree in international development, law, public administration, business administration, public policy or other relevant social sciences.
- 5-7 years of relevant professional experience in programme management, ideally within an international organisation.
- Previous professional experience in Rule of Law Programming and Customary and Informal Justice
- Familiarity with standard programme and data management tools, as well as results-based management and monitoring and evaluation principles;
- Familiarity with the Somalia context, particularly in the area of Rule of Law and Access to Justice
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Fluency in English and Somali is an asset.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritise work.
- Attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
- Ability and willingness to travel to the region, if necessary.
- Acts as a role model and offers guidance to colleagues. Takes initiative to share knowledge, experiences and information with others. Accepts and gives constructive feedback (up, down and across) to develop and motivate others.
- Keen sense of ethics, integrity, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate. Self-motivated and dynamic with a willingness and ability to use initiative to assist the organisation in achieving its objectives;
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
IDLO shall offer the selected candidate a consultancy contract of 6 months from 1st September 2022 to 1st March 2023.
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome applications of qualified and diverse candidates.
IDLO is committed to achieving a 50/50 gender balance at all levels within its workforce. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for IDLO vacancies.
IDLO does not tolerate sexual exploitation or abuse, any kind of harassment, including harassment of a sexual nature or discrimination. As such, IDLO will conduct careful reference and background checks of all selected candidates as part of its selection process.
DISCLAIMER AND CLOSING DATE
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the employee assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organisational needs as necessary.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality and in compliance with IDLO’s policy on personal data protection.
In the interest of making the most effective use of resources, only the short-listed candidates will be contacted during the selection process.
Application deadline 15th August 2022