Job reference: VN22-45
Location: Reading, UK
Deadline for applications: 11/09/2022
Publication date: 01/08/2022
Salary and Grade: Grade A2: GBP 63,782.28 NET annual basic salary + other benefits
Contract type: STF-PL
Contract Duration: Up to four years, with possibility of extension
ECMWF is the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts. It is an intergovernmental organisation created in 1975 by a group of European nations and is today supported by 34 Member and Co-operating States, mostly in Europe. The Centre’s mission is to serve and support its Member and Co-operating States and the wider community by developing and providing world-leading global numerical weather prediction. ECMWF functions as a 24/7 research and operational centre with a focus on medium and long-range predictions and holds one of the largest meteorological archives in the world. The success of its activities relies primarily on the talent of its scientists, strong partnerships with its Member and Co-operating States and the international community, some of the most powerful supercomputers in the world, and the use of innovative technologies such as machine learning across its operations.
Over the years, ECMWF has also developed a strong partnership with the European Union, and for the past seven years has been an entrusted entity for the implementation and operation of the Climate and the Atmosphere Monitoring Services of the EU's Copernicus component of its Space Programme, as well as a contributor to the Copernicus Emergency Management Service. The collaboration does not stop there and includes other areas of work, including High Performance Computing and the development of digital tools that enable ECMWF to extend its provision of data and products covering weather, climate, air quality, fire and flood prediction and monitoring.
ECMWF has recently become a multi-site organisation, with its headquarters based since its creation in Reading, UK, its new data centre in Bologna, Italy, and new offices in Bonn, Germany.
For additional details, see www.ecmwf.int
The Platforms and Services Section forms part of ECMWF’s Computing Department and is responsible for delivering a wide range of services including mission-critical virtual and bare-metal server infrastructure, data centre and wide area networks, security, monitoring and analytics, and enterprise ICT.
Within the Platforms and Services Section, the Networks and Security Team is responsible for designing, procuring and deploying the Networks and Security infrastructures and their associated Operational Security services, and their day-to-day operational running. The co-ordination of Security Operations activities also takes place within the team, reporting to the Centre’s Director of Computing. ECMWF’s network environment includes cutting-edge technologies and products from well-known vendors, with data centre networks based on the latest 100 Gbps technology. The LAN and WAN systems use OSPF, MP-BGP, VXLAN/EVPN, Multicast and IPv6 in production.
For additional details, see www.ecmwf.int/en/computing/our-facilities/networks
The Cybersecurity Analyst will be responsible for operational security policy matters related to Information Technology security within ECMWF. They will report to the Networks and Security Team Leader and coordinate the implementation of agreed controls across the organisation to reduce information and IT risks and ensure information assets and technologies are adequately protected.
- Configuring and managing network security systems, including firewalls and intrusion detection and prevention systems
- Designing new security systems or upgrading existing ones
- Protecting digital information assets and information systems against unauthorised access, modification or destruction
- Monitoring and reporting on established Information Security controls
- Cooperating with Information Security representatives in all departments and at all levels of the organisation
- Coordinating regular meetings with InfoSec experts of ECMWF's Member and Cooperating States
- Executing regular Information Security audits together with independent external auditors
- Coordinating IT investigations, security incident response, digital forensics and electronic discovery
- Undertaking operational risk assessments to cover changes in the environment
- Providing technical advice and policy knowledge in the area of Information Security
- Recommending solutions to improve IT infrastructure security
- Increasing awareness of Information Security within ECMWF, including training and communication
- Delivering the information security framework in line with ECMWF’s policies, industry best practice and associated industry standards
- Providing general day-to-day support for the services provided by the team,including, on a regular basis, 24-hour on-call support for the mission-critical services
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with a proactive approach
- Attention to detail
- Self-motivated, and able to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to maintain effective communication and documentation with the rest of the team and a distributed user community
- Dedication and enthusiasm to work in a team
- Ability to work efficiently and complete diverse tasks in a timely manner
- A university degree (EQF Level 6) or equivalent industry experience.
- A recognised professional InfoSec certification such as CISSP, CISA, CEH, or GIAC GCIH is essential
Experience required in the following areas:
- An understanding of common security frameworks and legislation, and their impact, e.g., ISO 27001, GDPR
- Experience of configuring and administering network security and network virtualisation security technologies including, but not limited to, Fortinet firewalls, VPNs, intrusion detection/prevention systems, email & web filters, logging & monitoring platforms, and network admission control
- Experience of implementing endpoint security technologies and products including, but not limited to, anti-virus, host-based intrusion detection, posture checking, and local security policies
- Experience of implementing cloud security technologies and products such as, but not limited to, OpenStack, Kubernetes and vSphere NSX
- Demonstrated experience of working with ISO 27001 to support the implementation of policies into specific, monitored, measurable controls
- A working knowledge of Microsoft and *nix operating systems, and their configuration to support security controls
- An understanding of tools to support event monitoring and incident investigation
- Experience with vulnerability assessment or penetration testing methodologies and practices.
- Experience in scripting, preferably using python, ansible and jinja(desirable)
- An understanding of network routing/switching technologies such as, but not limited to, BGP, OSPF and VRFs. (desirable)
- Experience of working in an international environment (desirable)
- Experience of working in Security Operations Centre (SOC) environment (desirable)
Knowledge and skills required:
- Information Systems/Network Security
- Identity and Access Management
- Information Assurance
- Infrastructure Design
- Vulnerabilities Assessment
- Security Incident Handling & Response
- Candidates must be able to work effectively in English and interviews will be conducted in English
- A good knowledge of one of the Centre’s other working languages (French or German) is not required but would be welcome
The successful candidate will be recruited at the A2 grade, according to the scales of the Co-ordinated Organisations and the annual basic salary will be £63,782.28 NET of tax. ECMWF also offers a generous benefits package, including a flexible teleworking policy. The position is assigned to the employment category STF-PL as defined in the ECMWF Staff Regulations. Full details of salary scales and allowances available on the ECMWF website at www.ecmwf.int/en/about/jobs, including the ECMWF Staff Regulations and the terms and conditions of employment.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Length of contract: Four years with the possibility of further contracts.
Location: The position will be located at ECMWF's Headquarters in Reading, UK.
As a multi-site organisation, ECMWF has adopted a hybrid organisation model which allows flexibility to staff to mix office working and teleworking.
Successful applicants and members of their family forming part of their households will be exempt from immigration restrictions.
Interviews by videoconference (Via Teams) are expected to take place in June 2022.
Applicants are invited to complete the online application form by clicking on the apply button below.
At ECMWF, we consider an inclusive environment as key for our success. We are dedicated to ensuring a workplace that embraces diversity and provides equal opportunities for all, without distinction as to race, gender, age, marital status, social status, disability, sexual orientation, religion, personality, ethnicity and culture. We value the benefits derived from a diverse workforce and are committed to having staff that reflect the diversity of the countries that are part of our community, in an environment that nurtures equality and inclusion.
Applications are invited from nationals from ECMWF Member States and Co-operating States.
ECMWF Member and Co-operating States are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Montenegro, Morocco, the Netherlands, Norway, North Macedonia, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and the United Kingdom.
In these exceptional times, we also welcome applications from Ukrainian nationals for this vacancy.
Applications from nationals from other countries may be considered in exceptional cases.