Programme Assistant (Re-Advertised)
Re-Advertised: Candidates who previously applied, need not reapply.
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Reporting to Deputy Representative, the Programme Assistant works with and provides support to the members of the SAMCO Team in the development and implementation of effective operations and programmes consistent with UN Women rules and regulations. S/he contributes to research, financial management, and programme implementation including providing necessary administrative and programmatic support. The Programme Assistant works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects’ staff in SAMCO, the Regional Office and UN Women HQs as required for reporting and finance-related issues and exchange of information.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the Deputy Representative office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of the supervisor’s calendar, contacts with high-ranking visitors, arrangement of appointments and meetings, acting as an interpreter when required and/or taking minutes;
- Preparation of high-quality briefing materials for supervisor for appointments, meetings, missions;
- Management of Deputy Representative missions and representation schedule;
- Maintenance of rosters of high-level partners, contact information;
- Preparation of correspondence, directives, comments on behalf of Deputy Representative for his/her signature and making follow-up when required;
- Use of automated office management systems for effective functioning of the Deputy Representative’s office;
- Facilitate travel arrangement for the Deputy Representative; Assemble briefing materials and prepare power-point and other presentations.
Provide administrative and logistical support to the formulation and management of programmes:
- Provide administrative support in the preparation of programme work plans, budgets, and proposals on programme implementation arrangements;
- Provide technical support to the SAMCO and executing agencies on routine delivery and reporting of programme supported activities and finances;
- Prepare information for the audit of programmes/ projects and support implementation of audit recommendations;
- Identify sources and gather and compile data and information for the preparation of documents, guidelines, speeches, and position papers.
Provide administrative support to the financial management of the Programme Unit:
- Create projects in Atlas, prepare budget revisions, revise project awards and status; and determine unutilized funds and the operational and financial close of a project;
- Provide administrative support in monitoring budget preparation and the finances of programmes/projects; including the finalization of FACE forms;
- Review financial reports; prepare non-PO vouchers for development projects; Process payment for consultants;
- Maintain internal expenditures control system; Create requisitions in Atlas for development projects; register good receipts in Atlas;
- Assist in the preparation and follow up of cost-recovery bills in Atlas.
Provide administrative support to Resource Mobilization:
- Prepare cost-sharing and other agreements; follow up on contributions within SAMCO resource mobilization efforts;
- Organize, compile and process information from donors, RO, Operations and programme team, as inputs to various databases and documents.
Facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing:
- Provide administrative support synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices related to programme management and finance;
- Provide administrative support to the organization of training for the office staff and partners on programme and operations related issues.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: https://www.unwomen.org/sites/default/files/Headquarters/Attachments/Sections/About%20Us/Employment/UN-Women-values-and-competencies-framework-en.pdf
- Good knowledge of programme and operations management;
- Ability to administer and execute administrative processes and transactions;
- Ability to create, edit and present information in clear and presentable formats;
- Ability to manage data, documents, correspondence and reports information and workflow;
- Strong financial and budgeting skills;
- Strong IT skills.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Completion of secondary education required;
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Public Administration is an asset.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in administration, operations management or programme management/support;
- Experience in working in a computer environment using multiple office software packages;
- Experience in the use of ATLAS is an asset;
- Experience in supporting a team.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
UN Women reserves the right to discontinue the recruitment due to any unforeseen circumstances. The output of this assignment shall belong to UN Women and Partners.
Please note that applications without a completed and signed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
UN Women Personal History form (P-11) can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/en/about-us/employment
At UN Women, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. UN Women recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, national origin, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, competence, integrity and organizational need.
If you need any reasonable accommodation to support your participation in the recruitment and selection process, please include this information in your application. At UN Women, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. UN Women recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, national origin, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, competence, integrity and organizational need.
UN Women has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UN Women, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to UN Women’s policies and procedures and the standards of conduct expected of UN Women personnel and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. (Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.)