External Advert-Resilience Development Manager
Oxfam is an international non-governmental organisation with a mission of working with others to alleviate poverty, suffering and distress.
Oxfam has been working in South Sudan since 1983. Our Programmatic Strategy concentrates on Saving lives, Resilient Livelihoods, Transformative Education, Advancing Gender Justice and Inclusive governance through a full spectrum platform that includes humanitarian response, recovery and resilience, long term development, policy and advocacy.
Oxfam currently operates via five area offices in three states (Jonglei, Lakes, Central Equatoria) and one administrative area (Greater Pibor Administrative Area) and via partners in Eastern Equatoria.
Position: Resilience & Development Manager
Location: Juba- South Sudan
Grade & Level: C Zone 1 Global / National
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Number of post: 01
Resilience and development response
- Provides senior level leadership and management across the resilience and development programs including Disaster and Risk Management and a commitment to Oxfam’s approach and values including gender equality, ethnic diversity and cultural sensitivity and inspire leadership on these issues through the Oxfam South Sudan team.
- Responsible for managing and leading Area Program Managers, leading on multi-year program development and financial accountability.
- Responsible for ensuring that all Area Program Managers implementing resilience and Development projects undertake their roles and responsibilities as well as supporting coordination and leadership in implementation areas.
- Leading on the development of resilience and development strategy, working closely with technical team leads and Area Program Managers.
- Based on existing program and country strategy, develop high quality multi- year proposals in line with our OCS.
- Supporting the Deputy Country Director- Programs (DCD – P) to manage resilience and development projects and monitoring, analyzing the risks and humanitarian situations in Field Bases with Area Program Managers, project managers.
- Ensure high quality programmes management in the areas of operation working closely with APMs.
- In close liaison with humanitarian response teams ensure proper program transition and segregation of the projects during the transition phase from emergency to resilience and development, working closely with HPM, APMs and partners for smooth transition of humanitarian projects being implemented through partners.
- Supporting the APMs in managing security in areas with operational bases.
- Write and manage budgets according to Oxfam and donor guidelines, and ensure appropriate reporting.
- Clearly and regularly communicate to the teams, the DCD Programs about the resilience and development situation and context.
- Liaise and coordinate with HPM, on humanitarian emergence response programme related matters
- Gap filling during APM and or DCD Program absence
- Participate in resource mobilization, oversight and implementation of resilience and development projects and negotiation of appropriate resources in collaboration with the Humanitarian Programme Manager and Response Manager.
- Support the implementation of Oxfam South Sudan Resilience and Development strategy
- Support the implementation of the resilience and development programme including quality control (especially ensuring equity), negotiation with local partners, financial management, documentation, monitoring and evaluation, reporting etc
- Ensure implementation of Oxfam operational policies, procedures and guidelines, especially gender equity, in all aspects of Oxfam’s work. With support from technical advisors and programme service staff as needed.
- As Oxfam transit to nationalisation of some senior positions and the resilience and development manager will lead the capacity development of national APMs.
- Implement Performance Management with all Area Program Managers. Including objective setting, performance review and personal development plans. Ensuring all aspects of Oxfam work in SSD e.g. programme themes and aims, gender equity and advocacy are reflected in your own and staff objectives.
- To co-ordinate the appraisal and monitoring of Oxfam’s partners’ response capacity and co-ordinate capacity building activities for all parties involved in order to achieve the objectives set in the resilience and development strategy
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
- Masters / Post-graduate from a recognized university/ college in International Development, Sustainable Livelihoods, Humanitarian, Programme Management or any other area that can bring an added value to the job.
- Relevant experience in a similar position with minimum of 3 years for Masters or Post-graduate holders or 10 + years for Bachelor holders, in an international NGO.
- Good understanding of development issues in general with significant knowledge and experience in project and programme management in one of the fields of: (a) resilience programming (b) sustainable livelihoods and resilience, b) gender and development;
- Excellent personal management and communication skills, in written and verbal English, with high impact influencing and persuasive skills and able to use different approaches to achieve followership.
- Proven track record of leading and motivating multi-disciplinary, geographically remote teams and operations across several locations, often in fragile and complex contexts.
- Evidence of high level financial and asset management skills to steer the operational budget across a number of locations.
- Strong analytical and conceptual thinking skills; able to understand complex issues and translate them into simple, workable actions and plans
- Commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims and policies and experience of promoting women’s rights and those of marginalised people in all aspects of Oxfam’s work in South Sudan
- Comprehensive evidence in knowledge and experience of development programmes, humanitarian response and advocacy and campaigning
- Knowledge of capacity building, learning and development activities and how to create learning and sharing environment with a strong knowledge management basis
- Commitment to and knowledge of creating a partner-led operational environment, with an ability to create an internal Oxfam approach that is focussed on developing and supporting partner organisations to achieve direct impact and results relating to Oxfam’s objectives
- Politically astute, with high impact influencing and persuasive skills and personal gravitas to gain respect and build and maintain strong, credible relationships, with internal and external stakeholders at all levels
- Committed to a right based approach including an active commitment to putting women’s rights at the heart of all we do as well as the rights of other marginalized people in all aspects of an organization’s work.
- Driving licence and use of it in insecure contexts.
- Ability to travel away from home, often to remote programmatic sites within the country prolonged periods, and periodic travel aboard for global meetings.
- Working experience in South Sudan
- Working experience with Oxfam
NB: Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply and applications will be reviewed upon receipt.
Only shortlisted candidate will be contacted.
Deadline for submission of applications is 14 August 2022. Interested Applicants should send soft copies of their CVs and Cover letters to [email protected]
Oxfam is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
We will do everything possible to ensure that only those that are suitable to work within our values are recruited to work for us.
This post is subject to a range of vetting checks.