The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and is at work in over 40 countries. Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee (Rescue.org) is a world leader in relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict development services for those uprooted or affected by violent conflict and oppression. The IRC is currently working in over 25 countries around the world, addressing both the immediate and lifesaving needs of conflict affected people in emergencies and the reconstruction needs of post-conflict societies.
The IRC is working in Libya since August 2016, targeting the most vulnerable non-displaced, IDPs, refugees and migrants in hard-to-reach areas. According to assessments, healthcare is considered the priority need in Libya, most urgently in terms of quality health staff, medicines, and supplies. There are significant gaps in the response, according to Libya’s Ministry of Health (MoH), the Libyan Red Crescent, UN agencies, and international NGOs. IRC’s team in Libya has the specific goal of reaching those in the hardest hit areas to beneficiaries of all ages and gender, both Libyans and third-country nationals. The emergency health activities will be focused on supporting essential primary health care. The reproductive health activities will specifically target women and girls. IRC’s emergency team is engaging local communities and empowering them to ensure they have equal access to health services while mobilizing outreach medical teams to maintain proximity to the people in need.
Position Major Overview/Summary:
The Budget Officer as part of the IRC Libya country office finance team reporting and budgeting function assists in handling the IRC Libya Budget and Grants financial management. Under the supervision of the Budget & Reporting Manager, the Budget Officer make sure the budget grants issues are immediately attended and that the donor budgets are prepared in accordance to IRC and donor requirements to be submitted on time. In addition, they will ensure through the review of the detailed charges that the grants are fully implemented in compliance to donor regulations and the IRC requirements, for the internal and donor reporting to be on time.
Position Specific Responsibilities:
Specific responsibilities within the functional area are:
· Review the monthly Budget Versus Actual (BVA) grants reports actual charges and commitments.
· Review Budget vs. Actuals on a monthly basis to identify over/under spending.
· Update and upload the spending plan of the grant in conjunction with the appropriate budget holders.
· Review and update the commitments lists from supply chain operation and HR to be included in monthly BVA’s.
· Participate in the monthly grant implementation & review meetings and present the grants spending status. Follow up on the action points based on the comments from the meeting.
· Provide support and feedback to Operations and Program budget holders for all questions regarding the BVA and spending.
· In compliance with donor charging requirements, propose and prepare adjustments entries, attaching supporting documents and communications as required for the review of the Budget & Reporting Manager for posting into the system.
· Assist in preparing the new budgets lines coding (T2 codes) and lookup codes for new grants, for the review of the Budget & Reporting Manager for posting into the system.
· Assist in preparing Donor Financial reports of the grant following the donor reporting templates for the Budget & Reporting Manager timely review and submission per contractual requirements.
· Provide update on grant spending status and analysis of grants spending plans vs. the actual spending.
· Perform the finance verification of the grant Purchase Requests and advise on charging codes accordingly
· Support in the month-end closure tasks including staff salary & benefits guidance allocation (local & international payroll), shared cost allocations.
· Perform the sub-award partner’s financial reports finance review and monitoring of actual charges to ensure costs charged are allowable, allocable, and reasonable to be charged as per the partner approved budget in aligned with the IRC and donor regulations.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Budget & Reporting Manager
Indirect Reporting: Deputy Director Finance, Senior Finance Coordinator