Officer - Data Systems
The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) is dedicated to reducing poverty and hunger through rice science; improving the health and welfare of rice farmers and consumers; and protecting the rice-growing environment for future generations. IRRI is an independent, nonprofit, research and educational institute, founded in 1960 by the Ford and Rockefeller foundations with support from the Philippine government. The institute, headquartered in Los Baños, Philippines, has offices in 17 rice-growing countries in Asia and Africa, and over 1,000 staff.
Working with in-country partners, IRRI develops advanced rice varieties that yield more grain and better withstand pests and disease as well as flooding, drought, and other harmful effects of climate change.
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Officer - Data Systems who will contribute to livestock production/productivity and genetic data management systems (collation, processing, and storage) and tools for use in the African Dairy Genetic Gain Project Country Program.
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centers dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org
This position is hosted by the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) and will be placed at the IRRI office in Kathmandu, Nepal and may only be filled in by permanent citizens of Nepal.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Contribute to livestock production/productivity and genetic data management systems (collation, processing, and storage) and tools for use in the African Dairy Genetic Gain Project Country Program
- Understand existing tools used for data capture and assist in developing modules that extend the scope of the current tools and provide training for the same.
- Respond to ICT support requests from farmers, field-based partner agents in a timely manner through WhatsApp/telegram/telephone/field visit programs
- Write procedures and software to import/ export data from/to appropriate database systems and share these for further analyses and interpretation.
- Develop additional dashboards to enable monthly data monitoring of field agents submitting data per cluster, missing and incomplete information, unusual values and other related issues and prepare a monthly report for the Country coordinator.
- Implement and monitor Quality Assurance (QA) protocols and routines, including safe and remote back-up of database systems and tools
- Keep up to date with the latest tools and resources, including open-source software, for the collection, management, storage and sharing of information
- Maintain the confidentiality of all information collected
- Perform any other activity as assigned to by the national coordinator
- Participate actively in ADGG country meetings and workshops
- Participate, plan, and facilitate training of partners on ADGG systems
- Provide 1st and 2nd level support to partners using the different technological platforms offered by ADGG.
- Facilitate onboarding of new partners into ADGG platform and offering technical & user support
- Partner engagement on new platform requirements
- Writing new scripts for data processing, QA and reporting
- Delivery of new system features and extending of existing features and functionality
- Submission of reports, summaries & dashboards
- Successful training and onboarding of users and partners
BA/BSc degree in Information Systems, Database Management, Computer Science or related discipline with a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience of working with integrated database systems preferably for research projects, including large-scale socioeconomic and/or biological surveys e.g., MySQL, MS SQL Server or Oracle or
Master’s degree in information systems, Database Management, Computer Science or related discipline with a minimum of 1 Year of relevant experience of working with integrated database systems preferably for research projects, including large-scale socioeconomic and/or biological surveys e.g., MySQL, MS SQL Server or Oracle
- Experience with database design, database management and computer programming, and with the application of quality assurance standards and procedures.
- Advanced experience of SQL language for data extraction and management of databases.
- Knowledge and experience of Linux operative system.
- Experience in software programming
- Excellent interpersonal communication and good personal organization skills.
- Good communication ability in English, spoken and written.
- Good judgement and willingness to take initiative when appropriate.
- Understanding and experience of working in applied agricultural research
IRRI offers a highly extensive employee benefits package inclusive of globally-covered medical insurance, retirement plan, life and accident insurance and other allowances. Join our team and be part of our story!
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.