Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Operator
Tripoli - Libya
DRC together with DDG, as a single entity – DRC/DDG, opened its operations in Libya in 2011 to respond to the humanitarian needs in the country. Currently, DRC/DDG implements activities with a head office in Benghazi in the following Areas of Operations, namely: South of Libya – Sabha office, West of Libya – Tripoli office, and East of Libya – Benghazi office.
Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified EORE training officer to deliver Explosive Ordnance Risk Education (EORE) training sessions to community focal points in line with project aims.
About the job
Responsible to the Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Team Leader (TL-EOD) or, in the TLs absence, the nominated Deputy TL (DTL), he/she conducts clearance operations of unexploded ordnance (UXO) in accordance with the DDG Standard Operating Procedures as well as national and international standards and guidelines. In doing so the EOD operator observes all safety standards applicable. Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Ensuring that all equipment issued to him/her is well maintained, and used in accordance with technical instructions received during training
- Conducting clearance tasks in accordance with DDG Standard Operating Procedures and any Special Instructions issued by the Technical Field Manager/Operations Manager or by members of the Quality Management Team
- Conducting regular Quality Assurance checks of his/her own tasks, ensuring any errors or malfunctions of equipment are immediately rectified and/or reported to the TL or DTL and malfunctioning/broken equipment is removed from the working lane/site for repair immediately
- Undergoing regular performance assessments and accreditation as directed by TFM/OM
- Carrying out any other operational/administrative duties as directed to meet operational requirements
To be successful in this role we expect you to:
- He/she is expected to work in the field.
- He/she is expected to follow the orders of their respective line managers.
- He/she is expected to fit into a team and to respect the team members.
- Libyan National
- Internationally Recognized EOD training Level 3 or Level 2 as minimum
- Fluency in spoken and written Arabic and (English Preferable).
- Mentally and physically fit
NOTE: Employees must be fit to physically carry, handle and operate the following equipment in varying working positions:
- Metal detector / Magnetometer
- Marking equipment
- Excavation tools
- Explosives and demolition accessories
- Experience in working with Demining NGO or other demining companies in Libya
- Basic knowledge of Mines and UXO encountered in Libya
- Valid travel documents and availability to travel outside of Libya
• A proven track record of a minimum of 2 years of Mine Action experience.
• An understanding of INGO terminology and processes.
• Ability to speak other international languages
• Other relevant qualifications or training courses.
• Full driving license.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 4 months
Designation of Duty Station: Non-Family
Start date: 1st Sep 2022
All applicants must upload a cover letter, EOD qualifications Certificate, and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 18/08/2022
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.