The Purpose of the Role
The Program/Business Development Advisor will work on a team to contribute to IRC’s overall new business development efforts by engaging with global, regional, country, and technical staff throughout the business development cycle from opportunity tracking and capture planning to proposal development, and submission. The PDA will serve as proposal manager for large and complex institutional donor opportunities, as well as support positioning and capture efforts. The ideal candidate will have a successful track record of leading large-scale and complex new business efforts in international development with particular emphasis on FCDO and USAID. Although this role will focus predominantly on FCDO and USAID, the successful candidate will serve an important surge support function and may work with other donors including ECHO, SIDA, World Bank, and others.
Key Working Relationships
Country Teams, Technical Units, Peer agencies, Local Partners
Bid leadership and coordination (70%)
• Lead and support proposal development for primarily FCDO and USAID opportunities, including capture strategy, management of proposal teams, calendars, and deadlines; strategy development with technical staff; partner identification and negotiations; recruiting; writing; production; and after-action reviews.
• Collaborate with IRC’s pricing team, ensuring technical coherence with the cost proposal.
• Review and/or draft expressions of interest, concept notes, and proposals to ensure quality and compliance with donor standards.
• Occasionally serve in support role for other IRC donors including ECHO, SIDA, World Bank and others. Support may include short term capture, submission, or quality review.
Business Development process improvement and knowledge management (10%)
• Conducts After Action Reviews and captures learning to disseminate to wider organization
• Contributes to and models the use of standard business development processes, tools, templates and information.
Partnerships and Strategy (20%)
• Conducts landscape analyses to identify most strategic partnerships in FCDO and USAID markets with a particular focus on fostering local partnerships.
• Strengthen collaboration with internal stakeholders including country teams, technical units, and other team members.
Skills, Knowledge and Qualifications:
• At least two years of focused experience working with UK and US Government donors.
• Training or familiarity with Shipley Proposal Development process highly desirable;
• Fluency in English with proficiency in one other language (French, Spanish, German, Arabic) highly desirable.
• Successful track record leading large proposal teams on complex subject, multi-year, multi-partner proposals with minimal supervision.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to effectively manage a variety of relationships in a multicultural environment;
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate equally effectively with colleagues in ‘remote’ and diverse teams, including as team leader for proposals;
• The ability to work productively and accurately while under pressure in a fast-paced, demanding environment;
• Ability to travel internationally (up to 20% of time);
US Benefits: We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of
benefits. In the US, these include: 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25
paid time off days (depending on role and tenure), medical insurance starting
at $145 per month, dental starting at $7 per month, and vision starting at $5 per
month, FSA for healthcare, childcare, and commuter costs, a 403b retirement
savings plans with up to 4.5% immediately vested matching contribution, plus a
3-7% base IRC contribution (3 year vesting), disability & life insurance,
and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to our staff and their
families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and mental health
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s
duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our
commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and
communities, IRC requires new hires to furnish proof of vaccination
against COVID-19 in order to be considered for any in-office or hybrid
positions. All IRC US offices require full vaccination to attend any
in-office functions (e.g., meetings, trainings).#LI-GR2
to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a
climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from
candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our
company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national
origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital
status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals
with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the
job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and
to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to