International Tea Development Specialist
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture.
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply;
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO's values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative, the technical guidance of the project Lead Technical Officer (LTO), and in close coordination with the AFAOR (Programme), the Program Unit in the FAO Representation in Lao PDR, the incumbent will be primarily responsible for the following tasks and duties:
The overarching goal of the Technical Assistance project is leveraging opportunities for the People, especially the most vulnerable and marginalized, benefit from more inclusive, resilient, transformative socio-economic opportunities to reduce poverty and inequalities. The project will achieve its intended results through outcome “Enhanced capacity of Laos PDR’s Government in analysis, planning and development of the Tea development Master Plan and for creating an enabling environment for its implementation” and interconnected outputs;
- Enhanced capacities of the Lao PDR government and other stakeholders in data analytics, planning and institutional building
- Tea Development Master Plan prepared and
- Lao Tea Development Association (LTDA) formed
The International Tea Development Specialist reports to AFAOR Programme FAO in Lao PDR. The International Tea Development Specialist will also work in close collaboration with the other programme staff including National and international consultants.
The incumbment will lead the planning and development process of preparing Tea Development Master Plan and the institutional arrangements while working closely with all relevant stakeholders.Lead a team of sectoral experts and build capacities of the designated staff of the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry and its allied provincial and district offices in planning and implementation of the project activities.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Engage with Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry (MAF) and Department of Planning and Cooperation (DoPC) and undertake situation analysis and comprehensive tea sector review of the Lao People Democratic Republic including geographic areas, farming communities engaged in tea plantations, institutions, private sector and infrastructure required to prepare the Tea Development Master Plan (TDMP)
- Organize project inception workshop inviting all the relevant stakeholders aimed at orienting them on overall project deliverables, get their buy in and ownership at the onset of project roll out;
- Conduct Training Need Assessment (TNA) for the staff of MAF/DoPC/ PAFO/DAFO and other relevant stakeholders to be engaged in planning process of TDMP;
- Prepare comprehensive capacity building plan based on assessed needs and roll out during the project implementation. The capacity-building plan should include lectures, on the job trainings and output based assignment, monitoring and evaluation of the training programme.
- Prepare Terms of Reference (ToR) for the National Consultants, support the selection processes and provide orientation and necessary training to MAF /DoPC designated staff, consultants enabling the team to achieve the intended results of Technical Cooperation Project (TCP).
- Design specialized diagnostic studies on land suitability for tea plantation using GIS for the mapping of geographic locations, soil testing and analysis , topographic survey and climatic variables and prepare detailed report
- Design and lead the tea value chain analysis keeping in view the supply and demand (volume /value), development potential of the product/commodity (market development) climate change and gender and alignment with Government/policies/ priorities.
- Collect official statistics of tea plantations, production data and identification of geographic areas /clusters, actors engaged in tea business, analyze constraints and opportunities and recommend pathways for improvement and integrate into TDMP
- Provide trainings and build capacity of the MAF/DoPC designing the research tools, collection of data, analysis and reporting
- Look at the production efficiency of the current tea plantations scattered across various geographic areas of Lao PDR. Determine factors of degradation, suggest ways for conservation and improvement of productivity for both old and new plantations and productivity
- Ensure gender mainstreaming and support for sustained development throughout the planning process and offer meaningful ways for inclusion of all the marginalized groups in tea development initiative.
- Review, analyse and suggest ways for strengthening existing systems of data, statistics and information to support evidence based decision making and result based monitoring for sustainable tea development , identify gaps and recommend measures to bridge the same,
- Assess labour market and potential to create better employment opportunities in this sector for youth and women in the target regions/provinces
- Provide sound technical recommendations to ensure adoption of internationally accepted innovations and technologies and best practice for the development of tea sector
- Help with developing enabling environment including through policies, rules and regulations and organizational development i.e. Laos Tea Development Association (LTDA)
- Finalize the LTDA formation structure in close collaboration with relevant ministries, private sector, farmers and other stakeholders and present it for official endorsement and legal coverage.
- Contribute to, develop investment plan for the tea sector development in Lao PDR and integrate into TDMP
- Conduct gender analysis to understand and accommodate different needs/priorities and roles of women, men and youth and develop measures for mainstreaming gender in proposed TDMP.
- Design and integrate smallholder needs-based rural agriculture research, extension and advisory services programmes and centres for the tea development
- Prepare the TDMP and organize/facilitate its launch at national level, present the investment strategy to the development partners for resources mobilization required for the development of tea sector in the country.
- Perform any other related activities assigned
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in Agriculture, policy and planning, business administration, international development, natural resource management, Climate Change, or other related fields.
- At least 10 years of relevant work experience in tea development.
- Working knowledge (level C) of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge (level B) of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian. (For PSA it can be required only one language level C).
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Proven experience in development of speciality crops such as tea ( from farm to cup)
- Work experience analyses and development of agriculture value chain
- Work experience in formulation of plan, strategies, programme and partnerships
- Possess experience in institutional development
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work
- Work experience with diverse stakeholders,
- Relevant experience working with international organizations including bilateral or multi-lateral agencies, and with UN agencies is desirable
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency