Cultural Mediator/Interpreter for Ukrainian
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has opened the recruitment process for a National Post (with Local salary scale) of the Cultural Mediator/Interpreter for Ukrainian within a project that DRC is implementing.
Position: Cultural Mediator/Interpreter for Ukrainian (full time)
Period of engagement: 4 months with possibility of extension
Basic functions: Cultural Mediator/Interpreter for Ukrainian will provide interpretation/cultural mediation services to ensure appropriate, correct and smooth communication between Ukrainian refugees and DRC Protection / Legal teams, as well as between the Ukrainian refugees service providers.
Reference: The Cultural Mediator/Interpreter for Ukrainian refers to the Country Director and works in close cooperation with the programme staff.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
- Provide precise interpretation during individual counseling sessions
- Interpretation and cultural mediation during group counselling sessions with DRC staff and public service providers
- Assist in organizing and implementing group info sessions and other relevant activities through outreach and info sharing
Facilitate information provision through in person sessions
- Facilitate effective communication between Ukrainian refugees and actors present in Asylum Centers by providing interpretation and/or translation services, either by telephone or in person, taking into account specifics of the beneficiaries’ cultural background;
- Provide interpretation applying the principles of accuracy, confidentiality, and impartiality at all times.
- To provide interpreting/translating service during formal and non-formal education activities in which the refugee children and adults are participating;
- To secure mutual understanding between refugee/asylum seeker children and other actors in AC Vranje and in schools;
- To provide written translation when required;
- To respect confidentiality of any sensitive information and adhere to the DRC Code of Conduct;
- Ensure the observance of the DRC Code of Conduct including PSEA mechanisms, throughout activity implementation.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the line manager relevant to the achievement of DRC’s objectives and/or to support implementation of DRC’s activities.
Qualifications & experience required
- Bachelor degree related to Ukrainian language, or high school diploma coupled with relevant working experience or a native speaker, or knowledge in Ukrainian language equal to a native speaker. The Diploma in Ukrainian language would be an asset;
- Experience on refugee/migration related issues would be an asset; or with women and/or children on social / humanitarian or similar programs;
- Fluency in spoken and written Russian and Serbian;
- Knowledge of English language will be an asset.
Skills and Work Experience:
- Minimum 1 years of experience in translation or jobs requiring fluency in Ukrainian.
- Good communication skills
- Understanding the psychosocial support needs of refugees in refugee camps.
- Computer skills in data management (i.e. KoBo) are highly desired.
- Ability to work in a multicultural context as a flexible and respectful team player;
- Problem solving and writing skills, with the ability to produce reports;
- Fluency in spoken and written Serbian;
- Computer literacy (Microsoft Word and Excel);
- Type of contract: National
- Start date: September 2022
- Duty station: Vranje
- Closing Date for Application: 11 August 2022 12h CET
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.