Sr./Research Associate – Biometrician
- Organization: CIMMYT - International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center
- Location: Hyderabad
- Grade: Level not specified - Level not specified
- Administrative support
- Scientist and Researcher
- Closing Date: 2023-03-30
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is looking for an outstanding, self-motivated, and result-oriented professional for the position Sr./ Research Associate – Biometrics to work in the CGIAR Excellence in Breeding Platform (EiB) program. This incumbent will provide statistical analysis services for germplasm advancement and parental selection, crop simulation for breeding optimization decisions, estimation of realized and predicted genetic gains, data analytic support to breeders throughout the breeding cycle, help in running genomic selection models for NARS and help in breeding management system and digitalization.
The position will be based at Hyderabad, India.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Contribute as a member of OneCGIAR global breeding informatics group to provide data analytics support for targeted programs in implementing agreed best practice in:
- Design and analysis of agricultural research experiments.
- Biometrics support in implementation of Genomic Selection (GS).
- Use of simulation for quantitative genetics informed breeding scheme optimization.
- Generation of estimates of genetic gain and other key performance indicators.
- Support breeding programs to develop and implement best practice data management workflows.
- Support harmonization of standards in experimental design, simulation, and biometrics across OneCGIAR.
- Contribute to organizing and delivering OneCGIAR training programs in statistical design, data analysis, data management, digitalization and other topics within their expertise.
- Commit to continuous improvement in skills related to biometrics and data management.
- Commit to continuous improvement to meet the service and operational needs of a modern breeding program.
- Support the integration of roles and projects into the new OneCGIAR global units.
Required qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Master’s or PhD degree in Biometrics/Agricultural Statistics/ Statistics. At least 1 year’s pertinent experience (Masters), or a PhD.
- Deep understanding of breeding operational processes and tight breeder timelines, with work experience in a breeding support service unit.
- Experience in implementing proven experimental designs across multiple crops for various breeding purposes (nursery, yield trial, disease trial, etc.).
- Advanced user of statistical software such as SAS, GenStat, R, ASREML-R etc.
- Experience in implementing established tools and libraries in the AlphaSim-R package to run breeding simulations and optimization analysis.
- Knowledge of relational data management systems and demonstrated ability to extract data and navigate systems; knowledge of systems used in the CGIAR (e.g. BMS) is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience supporting breeders in analyzing their trial data using established best practice methods including mixed models and multi-location testing, as appropriate for various stages of plant breeding.
- Experience implementing genomic selection with applications to plant breeding to support breeding modernization initiatives.
- Experience estimating genetic gain and other breeding key performance indicators for breeders, management, and funders, providing monitoring capability in a timely manner.
- Experience working within international organizations or multicultural organizations desired.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Critical and Creative Thinking, Teamwork, Communication and Client Orientation.
The position is for an initial fixed-term contract of 3 years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package, with a range of benefits including health insurance.
To participate in the process for this position, please apply online here, no later than Monday, 29 August, 2022. For more information on the process please e-mail Human Resources, CIMMYT
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity.
Women candidates are encouraged to apply.