Senior Area Coordinator - East
International Rescue Committee (IRC) is a nonpolitical, non-profit, and non-religious humanitarian organization that provides assistance to refugees around the world. IRC started its operations in Chad in 2004 in response to the humanitarian crisis caused by the influx of refugees from Darfur into eastern Chad. Assistance to Sudanese refugees has now expanded to include the management of the eleven camps in the East and one camp in the West with assistance to refugees and local communities in health, nutrition and water, hygiene, and sanitation.
In 2012, IRC expanded its geographic coverage into the Guera province where IRC is currently working in five health districts and provides malnutrition and prevention services to the local population as well as family planning activities and gender-based violence related activities (GBV).
In May 2016, IRC opened an office in Lac province to respond to the Boko Haram crisis. IRC implements assistance projects in health, nutrition, economic recovery as well as protection and response to GBV.
Under supervision of the Country Director, the Senior Area Coordinator (SAC) is responsible for the management and implementation of programs in his/her area of influence. He/she manages and monitors the quality of services: security, administration, human resources, logistics and finance. The SAC is responsible for maintaining excellent working relationships with partners and counterpart agencies, including local representatives of the government of Chad. He/she actively participates in various forums and coordination meetings with the UN system and other NGOs.
· Ensure IRC’s representation in his/her area of influence for local, administrative, and traditional authorities, and other actors and partners present in the area.
· Ensure IRC ‘s participation in the various humanitarian consultation frameworks in the aera of responsibility.
· In collaboration with the Safety & Security Coordinator, he/she is responsible for the security of IRC in the province and provide weekly (or more frequent if necessary) updates on the security situation.
· Ensure the security of IRC teams and assets and provide regular updated to the management in N’djamena.
· Ensure the coordination of the effective and efficient implementation of all programs by rigorously monitoring quality.
· Contribute to the implementation of Chad Strategic Action Plan (S100) in his/her area of responsibility.
· Work closely with the department of operations and finance to ensure adequate support for effective implementation of programs in the area.
· Ensure the application and documentation of all IRC administrative, financial and logistics procedures and ensure compliance by all staff at all times.
· Conduct regular audits and resolve all issues related to procurement, inventory management, vehicles, vendor contracts and assets management.
· Work closely with the management team in Ndjamena, finance and operation department to ensure good coordination and efficient use of IRC resources in compliance with IRC procedures and policies to achieve project objectives.
· Implement, review, and maintain internal financial controls and system management.
· Participate in the monitoring and evaluation of the activities in the field in line with project indicators.
· Ensure supervision of staff members and act as a good manager according to IRC Standards for all people managers.
· Ensure the orientation and motivation of the teals and promote a professional and harmonious work environment.
· Ensure that the recruitment in his/her area complies with IRC’s Gender, Diversity, Equality and Inclusion (GDEI) policy.
· Ensure staff coordination meetings in his/her area of responsibility.
· Respect IRC values and IRC Code of conduct (IRC Way) and ensure proper compliance by all staff in all actions taken.
· Ensure the identification of local partners in his/her area in collaboration with the program teams and the Senior Partnership Manager based in N’Djamena.
Key Working Relationships:
Position reports to: Country Director
Positions under direct supervision: Finance Manager, Health coordinator, Senior project managers, Senior Base Manager, Base Manager, Field coordinator, Logistic Manager, Project Managers, Accountability officer, Senior EHA Manager, HR & Administration Manager, Operation Manager.
Other Internal and/or external contacts
Internal: IRC regional team
External: Clients, state services, local administrative authorities etc.
Education: University degree in social science, project management or other similar degree
Work Experience :
· At least 5 years of experience in humanitarian context and in similar positions
· 5 years of experience in staff management, supervision and development
· Experience in project/program management in conflict and emergency contexts
· Good knowledge of operations (logistics, administration, human resources) finances and programs.
· Proven experience working with donors such as BPRM, AFD and UN.
· Staff management in rapidly changing security context
· Excellent communication capacities and diplomatic approach
· Capacity to work with diversified team and assure inclusion of all staff
· IT competence (Word, Excel, Outlook)
· Excellent written and oral French
· Good written and oral English
The Senior Area Coordinator is based in Iriba, Wadi-Fira province (security level is 3 – yellow). This position is unaccompanied.IRC is equal opportunity employer, considered all the candidates on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran or disability.