Processing Engineer (P-4)
|Division:||International Data Centre Division|
|Section:||Automatic Processing Systems Section|
|Unit:||Configuration and Data Processing Unit|
|Type of Appointment:||Fixed Term Appointment|
|Date of Issuance:||23/08/2022|
|Deadline for Applications:|| |
|Reporting Date:||As soon as possible|
Please note that all candidates should adhere to CTBTO Values of Integrity, Professionalism and Respect for Diversity.
Qualified female applicants and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
A roster of suitable candidates may be established for similar positions at the same level as a result of this selection process for a period of two (2) years.
The Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization with its headquarters in Vienna is the international organization setting up the global verification system foreseen under the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT), which is the treaty banning any nuclear-weapon-test explosion or any other nuclear explosion. The Treaty provides for a global verification regime, including a network of 337 stations worldwide, a communications system, an international data centre and on-site inspections to monitor compliance.
This position is located in the Configuration and Data Processing Unit, Automatic Processing Systems Section, International Data Centre Division (IDC).
Under the supervision of the Chief, Automatic Processing Systems Section, to:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Act as a team leader and be able to act independently when required;
- Provide technical assistance to IDC and IMS divisions, as well as station operators, contractors, and consultants;
- Provide support to the real time data processing system of a global network of radionuclide, seismic, hydroacoustic and infrasound sensors;
- Operate and monitor the software modules for automatic processing, the operating systems, the database interfaces, the distributed transaction management software and other relevant Commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) software;
- Provide software support to the analysts in all above technologies;
- Provide written reports documenting software problems, configuration changes and technical issues;
- Implement and test new operational software releases;
- Provide engineering support for the connection and testing of new stations;
- Develop ancillary software to support operations;
- Provide guidance and training to trainees assigned to the Unit;
- Perform other duties as assigned which may include working on weekends and holidays or periods on-call.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in computer science, information technology, engineering or a related field.
Work Experience and Qualifications
- At least seven years of relevant working experience in application software support, programming and maintenance of Linux/Unix based operating systems, including RabbitMQ and Kafka, Oracle and PostgreSQL databases and network problems diagnostics;
- Knowledge of TCP/IP, UDP, DNS, SMTP and LDAP protocols is essential;
- Experience with Python, Perl, SQL and SQL/PL, csh/bash is a requirement;
- Knowledge of C, C++ and Java programming languages is essential;
- Working experience with software version control systems is essential (preferably with GIT);
- Demonstrated software testing skills and ability to identify and address software problems quickly;
- Good knowledge of Project Management practices together with relevant training is desirable;
- Relevant working experience in seismological/geophysical/radionuclide data processing areas is highly desirable;
- Knowledge of Public Key Infrastructure would be an asset.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English are essential;
- Knowledge of other official CTBTO languages is desirable.
- Professionalism - Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations;
- Communication - Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from other and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Planning and organizing - Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary;
- Teamwork - Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; builds consensus for task purpose and direction with team members; supports and acts in accordance with final group decisions, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings;
- Accountability - Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable;
- Creativity - Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches;
- Client orientation – Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive relationships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress and setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to clients;
- Commitment to continuous learning - Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession; actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally; contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates; shows willingness to learn from others; seeks feedback to learn and improve;
- Technological Awareness - Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks, shows willingness to learn new technology.
CTBTO offers an attractive compensation and benefits package in accordance with the policies of the International Civil Service Commission. For more information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, see link: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm). The salary offered may be subject to deductions to the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund and/or Health Insurance Scheme.
- All applications must be submitted through the CTBTO e-Recruitment system before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
- Incomplete applications and submission of employment history in formats other than the CTBTO Employment Information Form will not be considered
- The CTBTO Preparatory Commission retains the discretion not to make any appointment to this vacancy; to make an appointment at a lower grade in particular if the candidate has less than the qualifications required; to make an appointment with a modified job description, or to offer a contract term for a shorter duration than indicated in the vacancy announcement.
- Please note that the CTBTO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list.
- The CTBTO reserves the right to undertake correspondence only with shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process or be requested to provide performance assessments.