Overview: The Finance Assistant is responsible for essential accounting functions including accounts payable and receivable support, report reconciliation, fund tracking, month-end, and adjusting journal entries. The Finance Assistant reports to the Finance Manager.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Operate effectively in IRC’s proprietary ERP financial accounting system and coach staff when questions arise
- Process payments by a variety of methods – ACH, Prepaid Cards and Checks
- Review payment requests made in financial system by staff for accuracy; submit through workflow and post
- Prepare a wide variety of month-end, financial close journal entries within mandated deadlines
- Oversee and review new vendor set-up process
- Prepare weekly grant spending reports; work with staff to resolve any discrepancies
- Prepare monthly Time & Effort reports, send to staff for signature, collect and file
- Prepare weekly deposit and customer payment journals to be posted to the financial system
- Create aging reports for fee-for-service programs and follow up on unpaid invoices
- Void checks as needed
- Oversee, review and post contributions-in-kind (donations and volunteer time) in accordance with grant requirements
- Assist with internal and external audit inquiries and reporting
- Maintain accounting files and records in accordance with IRC and donor requirements
- Other projects and assignments as needed
Education: Bachelor’s or Associate degree in business, accounting or finance preferred. Professional experience in lieu of education will be considered.
Work Experience: Relevant professional experience in finance and accounting required; minimum of 2 years’ experience strongly preferred.
Demonstrated Skills & Competencies:
- Ability to carry out work with a high degree of integrity and confidentiality
- Self-starter with excellent problem-solving skills combined with the proven ability to multi-task, prioritize duties, and manage time effectively.
- Attention to detail and accuracy in work product.
- Fluent in English, both spoken and written.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook); ability to use the internet and other digital tools for data entry, research and problem-solving purposes.
- Working knowledge of accounting software such as Microsoft Dynamics a plus
- Professional office environment with some flexibility to work remotely
- Must be comfortable working in front of the computer and with data for long periods of time
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires new hires to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for any in-office or hybrid positions. All IRC US offices require full vaccination to attend any in-office functions (e.g., meetings, trainings).
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
US Benefits: We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, these include: 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25 paid time off days depending on role and tenure, medical insurance starting at $120 per month, dental starting at $7 per month, and vision starting at $5 per month, FSA for healthcare and commuter costs, a 403b retirement savings plans with immediately vested matching, disability & life insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and mental health struggles.