Radionuclide Lead Analyst (P-4)
|Division:||International Data Centre Division|
|Section:||Monitoring and Data Analysis Section|
|Type of Appointment:||Fixed Term Appointment|
|Date of Issuance:||26/08/2022|
|Deadline for Applications:|| |
|Reporting Date:||As soon as possible|
Please note that all candidates should adhere to CTBTO Values of Integrity, Professionalism and Respect for Diversity.
Qualified female applicants and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
A roster of suitable candidates may be established for similar positions at the same level as a result of this selection process for a period of two (2) years.
The Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization with its headquarters in Vienna is the international organization setting up the global verification system foreseen under the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT), which is the treaty banning any nuclear-weapon-test explosion or any other nuclear explosion. The Treaty provides for a global verification regime, including a network of 337 stations worldwide, a communications system, an international data centre and on-site inspections to monitor compliance.
This position is located in the Monitoring and Data Analysis Section, International Data Centre Division (IDC).
Under the supervision of the Chief, Monitoring and Data Analysis Section, to:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide oversight, training and coaching of radionuclide analysts;
- Manage and optimize schedules for analysts’ tasks to ensure efficient and timely production of reviewed IDC products in the radionuclide and Noble Gas technologies;
- Recommend and implement plans to enhance procedures, rules and guidelines for analysts’ tasks;
- Support the trainees from States Signatories in coordination with Capacity Building and Training Section (IDC/CBT);
- Support the testing and evaluation of the IDC applications software in coordination with Software Applications Section (IDC/SA);
- Perform interactive analysis of radionuclide and Noble Gas data as required and review the work of other analysts;
- Interact as necessary with other sections and units in order to ensure smooth implementation of the operational tasks;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in nuclear science with strong background in gamma spectroscopy and radiation detection methods or a related field.
Work Experience and Qualifications
- At least seven years relevant working experience with radionuclide spectra analysis, air monitoring, detection equipment, and environmental influences on radionuclide and noble gas monitoring.
- A basic knowledge of UNIX/LINUX operating systems and SQL is required;
- Supervisory and team management experience would be an asset.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English are essential;
- Knowledge of other official CTBTO languages is desirable.
- Professionalism - Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations;
- Communication - Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from other and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Planning and organizing - Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary;
- Teamwork - Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; builds consensus for task purpose and direction with team members; supports and acts in accordance with final group decisions, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings;
- Accountability - Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable;
- Creativity - Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches;
- Client orientation – Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive relationships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress and setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to clients;
- Commitment to continuous learning - Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession; actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally; contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates; shows willingness to learn from others; seeks feedback to learn and improve;
- Technological Awareness - Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks, shows willingness to learn new technology.
CTBTO offers an attractive compensation and benefits package in accordance with the policies of the International Civil Service Commission. For more information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, see link: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm). The salary offered may be subject to deductions to the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund and/or Health Insurance Scheme.
- All applications must be submitted through the CTBTO e-Recruitment system before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
- Incomplete applications and submission of employment history in formats other than the CTBTO Employment Information Form will not be considered
- The CTBTO Preparatory Commission retains the discretion not to make any appointment to this vacancy; to make an appointment at a lower grade in particular if the candidate has less than the qualifications required; to make an appointment with a modified job description, or to offer a contract term for a shorter duration than indicated in the vacancy announcement.
- Please note that the CTBTO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list.
- The CTBTO reserves the right to undertake correspondence only with shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process or be requested to provide performance assessments.