Location: Lima, Peru
Start Date: October - December 2022 (flexible)
Placement Length: 12 Months
Language Requirements: Spanish Level 4-Advanced
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada Only
The Volunteer’s Role
If you want to be part of the national effort to promote women's rights and support the reduction of discrimination affecting women in Peru, this could be an ideal position for you.
Apply for this position if you are passionate about working for gender equality and the promotion and defence of women's rights and contributing to a life free of violence and discrimination.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Formulate methodologies and practices that strengthen the empowerment of women in the upper parts of the Human Settlement José Carlos Mariátegui in the district of San Juan de Lurigancho, Lima.
- Design strategies to mainstream the gender approach in the institution.
- Promote alliances with state and civil society organizations dedicated to working with a gender perspective.
- Other related tasks that may be necessary as required by CENCA coordinators and/or the Cuso Country Representative.
- Professional in social sciences, literature and/or humanities with a special interest in the gender approach.
- Previous experience in organizations that develop the gender approach.
- Knowledge of gender and social development issues in Latin America
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Ease of working with people from different cultures
- Ability to work under pressure and ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
What’s in it for YOU? A life-changing experience!
About Us, the Project and the Partner
Cuso International is a not-for-profit development organization that works to eradicate poverty and inequality. Each year, we mobilize hundreds of volunteer professionals to work alongside local partners to maximize their impact through capacity building. We work in partnership with governments, civil society organizations, multilateral agencies and the private sector to develop and deliver programs aimed at advancing gender equality, promoting the empowerment of women and girls, and improving access to and quality of economic opportunities for young people.
Project - Sharing Canadian Expertise for Inclusive Development and Gender Equality (SHARE)
Cuso International will deliver the Sharing Canadian Expertise for Inclusive Development and Gender Equality (SHARE) project, with a contribution from Global Affairs Canada (GAC) over seven years (2020-2027). SHARE aims to improve the economic and/or social well-being of the poorest, most marginalized and vulnerable people, particularly women and girls, in developing countries, with a view to contribute to the Sustainable Development Goals. In addition to increasing engagement of Canadians in international development and key global issues, this project will aim to increase the performance of country partners to deliver more inclusive, innovative and environmentally sustainable development initiatives that advance gender equality, in support of the action areas of Canada’s Feminist International Assistance Policy.
Partner - Instituto de Desarrollo Urbano
El Instituto de Desarrollo Urbano – CENCA, es un organismo sin fines de lucro especializada en temas de desarrollo territorial, mejoramiento del hábitat y medio ambiente, género y economía solidaria. Contribuye en el desarrollo de capacidades y en el diseño de políticas públicas y en su actividad prioriza el trabajo con organizaciones sociales y gobiernos locales.
Terms and Conditions
Cuso International terms and conditions allow you to lead a modest and healthy lifestyle while being effective in your placement. This support package will cover basic living expenses for one volunteer and is not intended to cover home-based expenses (ex. loans, support payments, etc.) or luxury items such as imported items in placement or international personal travel.
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending on country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication, and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation (more details below)
- On the ground support through our Cuso International country program office
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months
- Please note that if you are shortlisted for the placement, you will be required to:
- Provide two Professional References and one Personal Reference
- Complete an oral assessment during your preliminary telephone interview in the language required for your placement
- Obtain a Police Check at our request
- Complete a full medical exam and be medically cleared by the Cuso International Medical Advisor prior to your departure
- Due to the COVID-19 situation, be double vaccinated in accordance with the World Health Organization-approved vaccines.
We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise $2,000. All volunteers receive support from Cuso International to help achieve the goal through fundraising. If the volunteer chooses not to fundraise or is unable to achieve the fundraising goal, he/she can make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor to support our work.