Director of Strategy and Implementation
Remote - Based
GiveDirectly (GD) aims to reshape international giving – and millions of lives – by providing cash grants directly to the world’s poorest. The Brookings Institution estimates that $70B of cash transfers would be required to eliminate the poverty gap; the aid sector currently spends $135B each year, much of it on evidence-free interventions. GiveDirectly wants to change that, establishing cash transfers as a benchmark for foreign aid – as the index fund is a benchmark for the financial industry – and in the process accelerating the end of extreme poverty.
GD has raised over $700M since launching in 2011, delivered cash to more than 1 million people, and launched offices in 10 countries. We’ve also supported large-scale, experimental research that indicates strong recipient impact of our programs. As a result, GD has been celebrated as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company, while the growing cash transfer movement (and GD’s leading role within it) have been featured in the New York Times Magazine, This American Life, Foreign Affairs, and The Economist.
We’re looking for exceptional talent to grow our collaborative, diverse team. Joining GiveDirectly provides the opportunity to work alongside individuals who come from 21 different countries and speak 69 different languages. We’re actively working toward an equitable and inclusive environment for all team members, and seek candidates who will bring diverse perspectives and experiences to our organization. We recruit from organizations across all industries: our team has hailed from sectors including start-ups, government, consultancies, investment banks, and nonprofits.
Across our global offices, our culture is candid, analytical, non-hierarchical, and fast-paced. We value ability, adaptability, and willingness to learn.
About this role:
Fundraising from high net worths is the largest source of transfers to GiveDirectly’s recipients. This role will lead the acquisition and relationship management while coordinating with both internal (Operations, Research, Tech, Finance, Marketing) and external stakeholders.
We are looking for a director to lead the team through rapid growth and drive a strategic roadmap that will enable growth at scale, ultimately enabling GiveDirectly to send more cash to people experiencing extreme poverty.
This role is fully remote.
What you’ll do:
- Work with senior leadership to develop strategy and deploy relationship owners (President, Co-Founder(s), Research Director, etc.) in conversations with some of the world’s top philanthropists (MacKenzie Scott, Jack Dorsey, Vitalik Buterin, etc.). In some instances, you will also own direct relationships with key donors
- Manage, develop, and grow a team of 4+, while creating and executing a plan for future hires
- Oversee the acquisition of new high-net-worth individual donors
- Define and implement scalable systems for: (i) tracking how and when we communicate with existing donors (ii) identifying and acquiring new donors
- Architect innovative touchpoints and content so donors can understand the impact of their donations
- Represent team internally in coordination with teams across the org (Ops, Tech, Research, Finance, Marketing)
- Design and curate programs in collaborate with Ops, Research, and Tech teams to match funders priorities
- Through all projects, build scalable, high-quality processes; rigorously analyze what works & doesn’t work; and reprioritize where necessary
- Develop and hit or exceed fundraising KPIs, targets, and team goals
What you’ll bring:
- 7+ years of experience in high-performing results driven environments
- 4+ years of people management experience, with proven leadership ability in rapidly scaling high performing teams
- Demonstrated track record of coordinating between multiple teams both internally and externally
- Passion for building process and structure to enable scale
- Experience building a team culture of structured problem solving, drive to fix root causes, and high attention to detail
- Proven ability to manage the urgent alongside driving persistent, continual improvement and quality
- Strong, succinct communications: Skilled in speaking, writing, presenting, and negotiating across multiple stakeholders
- Analytical problem solver: Looks at problems with analytical and iterative mindset, with strong framework for prioritization
- Alignment with GiveDirectly Values and active demonstration of our core competencies: emotional intelligence, problem solving, project management, follow-through, and fostering inclusivity. We welcome and strongly encourage applications from candidates who have personal or professional experience in the low-income and/or historically marginalized communities that we serve.
Bonus: a track record of raising funds from major major donors
At GiveDirectly, we strive to pay our employees generously and equitably. We use an accredited third party salary aggregator to ensure that staff’s total compensation package (base compensation + bonus) falls within the 75th percentile of similar roles, at similar organizations. We also have a no negotiation policy to ensure we are paying staff equitably across roles.
The United States base salary for this role is $125k.
Why work at GiveDirectly?
At GiveDirectly, we work to ensure that you have everything you need to excel in your role and on your team, including:
- A positive and supportive team with opportunities for advancement
- A demonstrated commitment to helping all staff develop and grow
- A competitive salary, including bonus
- A robust health benefits plan (exact details will vary by country)
- Unlimited PTO (that we encourage staff to take!)
- Desk allowance and flexible work location
About the hiring process
Format: The hiring process follows the same general outline for all open roles:
First interview (30 mins)Take home skills assignment (~2 hours)Second interview (1 hour)*Third interview (1 hour)*Final interview (1 hour)Reference checks (30 mins each)
*For some roles, second & third interviews are combined into a panel interview. If there are adjustments or variations on this process, those changes will be communicated during the first interview.
Venue: We conduct interviews over Google Meet with camera on (unless communicated otherwise).
Accessibility: Closed captioning is available during all Google Meet interviews, and interviewers will also post interview questions in the chat box throughout the call. If you need assistance accessing either of these features, please let your interviewer know at the start of your interview!
We’re committed to running an inclusive and accessible application process for all of our open roles. If there are questions or concerns you have about the accessibility of our hiring process, we warmly invite you to reach out to [email protected].
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**