VP, Business Development
New York City
GiveDirectly (GD) aims to reshape international giving – and millions of lives – by providing cash grants directly to the world’s poorest. The Brookings Institution estimates that $70B of cash transfers would be required to eliminate the poverty gap; the aid sector currently spends $135B each year, much of it on evidence-free interventions. GiveDirectly wants to change that, establishing cash transfers as a benchmark for foreign aid – as the index fund is a benchmark for the financial industry – and in the process accelerating the end of extreme poverty.
GD has raised over $700M since launching in 2011, delivered cash to more than 1 million people, and launched offices in 10 countries. We’ve also supported large-scale, experimental research that indicates strong recipient impact of our programs. As a result, GD has been celebrated as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company, while the growing cash transfer movement (and GD’s leading role within it) have been featured in the New York Times Magazine, This American Life, Foreign Affairs, and The Economist.
We’re looking for exceptional talent to grow our collaborative, diverse team. Joining GiveDirectly provides the opportunity to work alongside individuals who come from 21 different countries and speak 69 different languages. We’re actively working toward an equitable and inclusive environment for all team members, and seek candidates who will bring diverse perspectives and experiences to our organization. We recruit from organizations across all industries: our team has hailed from sectors including start-ups, government, consultancies, investment banks, and nonprofits.
Across our global offices, our culture is candid, analytical, non-hierarchical, and fast-paced. We value ability, adaptability, and willingness to learn.
About the role
We are seeking an analytical and entrepreneurial leader to scale our team & impact driving commitments from bilateral, multilateral, and foundation funders. As someone passionate about shifting the status quo in the aid space, you’ll define the roadmap and vision for maximizing the cash we raise to deliver to recipients. In this capacity, you will own and scale a fast-growing pipeline already reaching $50M+ annual revenue, and manage a growing team of 6. You are an experienced people leader with a demonstrable track record of managing high performing teams and large fundraising pipelines. Our team is dedicated to shifting the status quo with respect to how and by whom decisions are made in the aid space. We believe elevating recipient choice is critical, as is demonstrably committing to transparency around metrics and evidence. We are looking for applicants who are deeply aligned with these objectives, and energized by the prospect of partnering with organizations that advance them.
Reports to: Managing Director
- Define roadmap, vision, and execution to scale GiveDirectly’s bilateral, multilateral, and foundations portfolio of $50M+ annual revenue
- Manage, develop, and grow team of six; with an eye for future thinking and scale
- Lead strategy and long-term roadmap for major partnerships (e.g. new country expansion, technology and tooling, pipeline management)
- Amplify GiveDirectly brand by serving as spokesperson (e.g. media, conferences, donors) & owning select senior relationships
- Provide coaching to Country Directors on business development strategy and relationship management.
- Oversee process development to streamline pipeline management and analytics across GiveDirectly’s nine countries of operation (e.g. consolidated pitch library)
- 8+ years of experience in similar role or function (business development, sales, partnerships, consulting, finance)
- Proven leadership ability and management experience in building high performing teams
- Preference for candidates with a track record of raising funds from major institutions (USAID, FCDO, EU, World Bank, etc.)
- Exceptional relationship management: you’re excited to build a network in the cash space, both via establishing new relationships for GD and strengthening existing ones
- Strong, succinct communications: Skilled in speaking, writing, presenting, and negotiating across multiple stakeholders
- Analytical problem solver: Looks at problems w/ analytical and iterative mindset, with strong framework for prioritization
- Passion for putting structure and process to ambiguous problems
In addition to the specific skills required for each role, we’re looking for candidates who are aligned with our GD Values, and who demonstrate our core competencies: emotional intelligence, problem solving, project management, follow-through, and fostering inclusivity.
About the hiring process
Format: The hiring process follows the same general outline for all open roles:
First interview (30 mins)Take home skills assignment (~2 hours)Second interview (1 hour)*Third interview (1 hour)*Final interview (1 hour)Reference checks (30 mins each)
*For some roles, second & third interviews are combined into a panel interview. If there are adjustments or variations on this process, those changes will be communicated during the first interview.
Venue: We conduct interviews over Google Meet with camera on (unless communicated otherwise).
Accessibility: Closed captioning is available during all Google Meet interviews, and interviewers will also post interview questions in the chat box throughout the call. If you need assistance accessing either of these features, please let your interviewer know at the start of your interview!
We’re committed to running an inclusive and accessible application process for all of our open roles. If there are questions or concerns you have about the accessibility of our hiring process, we warmly invite you to reach out to email@example.com.
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: